PDA

View Full Version : How To Mill In A Drill Press

Trike Lover
10-20-2011, 04:22 PM
How To Mill In A Drill Press

As requested, here's the information on the Popular Mechanics article accessible online,
re-posted to the "Jigs" section for reference.

Popular Mechanics January 1969, pages 180 - 184

How To Mill On A Drill Press, by Kenneth B. Littlefield

http://tinyurl.com/3dfkpzh
[Open in new window]

The article describes how to make a spindle support attachment for your drill press that clamps to the drill press column, as well as discussing types of cutters. The spindle support reduces the "chattering chuck" problems because the two roller bearings press up against the chuck from the rear.

Here's part of one of the layout images to give you the general idea. Follow the link above to get the full article.

http://forum.atomiczombie.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3142&d=1319083494&thumb=1 (http://forum.atomiczombie.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3142&d=1319083494)

n00bus
10-20-2011, 04:45 PM
Thanks for posting this up, i will be fabbing something like this up for sure though i might be seperating the rollers wider to support from both sides instead of just from the back, maybe even utilitse 3 rollers and make it adjustable to put more or less load on the chuck. I could see a benifit in getting a bearing to fit the chuck/mill bit thru and support it 360degreees aswell. That would really steady it up aswell as remove the sideways load on the spindle.

Trike Lover
10-20-2011, 05:13 PM
Thanks for posting this up, i will be fabbing something like this up for sure though i might be seperating the rollers wider to support from both sides instead of just from the back, maybe even utilitse 3 rollers and make it adjustable to put more or less load on the chuck. I could see a benifit in getting a bearing to fit the chuck/mill bit thru and support it 360degreees as well. That would really steady it up aswell as remove the sideways load on the spindle.

Yes, I was thinking that a three bearing support wouldn't be much more difficult to make than the two bearing setup. I'm not quite sure how I'd arrange a 360 degree support. Perhaps a three bearing support for the spindle/chuck, and a separate bearing that would support the cutter? I'm not sure how you'd make it so it ran evenly but still allow you to remove and change cutting bits. If that bearing snatched you'd be wearing a chestful of bracket.

Still, being able to feed in from the front or from the side covers most situations that I'd run into with a "hobby" setup.

n00bus
10-20-2011, 07:11 PM
I was thinking something along the lines of this...please forgive my appauling paint skills LOL :P

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh289/n00bus/millbrace.jpg

stormbird
10-21-2011, 02:50 AM
Hi there

Great post , however is there some way of saving or printing it ?

regards Paul

John Lewis
10-21-2011, 08:56 AM
Right click on image and "Save Image As".

At least in Linux. Guess Windows will be similar

John

Radical Brad
10-21-2011, 08:59 AM
I wonder if a bottom bracket and axle could be used?

Brad

Odd Man Out
10-21-2011, 09:17 AM
Get those creative juices flowing for us on this one Brad -- it would be a very cool side project for those with a cheap drill press' (HINT HINT)

n00bus
10-21-2011, 09:18 AM

Brad

Please explain your thought process more?

Trike Lover
10-21-2011, 01:43 PM
Hi there

Great post , however is there some way of saving or printing it ?

regards Paul

Paul,

I've found a way in Windows - it's kind of a laborious process. I haven't found any other way so far.

Take a screen shot of each half-page of the article as displayed on screen [Alt-PrtScr],
then open up MS Paint,
paste the screen shot into Paint [CTRL-v].
Use the "rectangular selection" tool to make a box around the actual article 1/2 page,
then hit "Crop" and you get an image of just that half-page of the article.
[This is in Windows 7; earlier versions of Paint are slightly different, but the end result is the same].
Go to the upper left corner pull-down menu, select "save as", and then save the image as a jpg with an appropriate name, like "Milling in the Drill Press 01.jpg"

Then, scroll the article on the web page down a half-page,
hit Alt-PrtScr,
go to MS Paint and select "new" in the upper-left-corner drop-down menu,
paste the screenshot into MS Paint [CTRL-v],
select the rectangular area of the article half-page,
crop,
and save as jpg with sequential file name, eg. "Milling in the Drill Press 02.jpg

Repeat as required.

When you've worked your way through the article, gather all the images into a folder and label it with the article name, magazine name, and date, eg. "Milling in the Drill Press PM January 1969.

There may be an easier way to do it - but I haven't found it.

P.S., sometimes, on a page that's all images, I'll take three overlapping images to ensure I've got all the details.

Trike Lover
10-21-2011, 01:49 PM
I was thinking something along the lines of this...please forgive my appalling paint skills LOL :P

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh289/n00bus/millbrace.jpg

Yes, we're thinking along the same lines. I put 4 roller bearings in my sketch, two at the back corners of the "box" (where you show two hex head bolts) and two at the front as you show in your sketch.

The take-up screw across the front with a hook end is a good idea, better & faster than having a straight threaded tightening system that would have to be unscrewed and retightened over and over.

I was going to post my sketch, but yours is pretty much identical, except for mine having two rear bearings where the pivot bolts for each arm are.

Trike Lover
10-21-2011, 01:55 PM

Brad

Good thought. I wondered the same thing about using a piece of axle and axle housing tube from one side of a car differential, with bearings pressed in at each end. Actually, depending on how you cut it up, you might be able to use the one existing outboard bearing, and then press in a second at the other end. Drive it at one end with the drill chuck, and rig up some kind of holder for a fly cutter on the bottom - maybe a tapered collet.

I haven't looked at the Busy Bee catalogue - they may sell a tool-holder made for this type of application.

stormbird
10-21-2011, 03:18 PM
Hi all

Thanks for your input re-printing or saving this , I had though of the labourious way [ Linux user ] but was sort of hoping I had missed an easier way of doing it.

Paul

n00bus
10-21-2011, 04:20 PM
Good thought. I wondered the same thing about using a piece of axle and axle housing tube from one side of a car differential, with bearings pressed in at each end. Actually, depending on how you cut it up, you might be able to use the one existing outboard bearing, and then press in a second at the other end. Drive it at one end with the drill chuck, and rig up some kind of holder for a fly cutter on the bottom - maybe a tapered collet.

I haven't looked at the Busy Bee catalogue - they may sell a tool-holder made for this type of application.

Hey im getting your idea now, so instead of bracing the drill chuck you are making a secondary spindle bolted to the post with one end of the axle in the chuck and the other end with a mill bit chuck. I like it a lot as it would be able to hold the cutter at depth better too as currently i have no real way of setting the depth except for with the dodgy built in depth guage and a nut either side which is all plastic anyways. If i had a better drill press im sure it might have had a lock function built in but this is true backyard mechanics style :P

Trike Lover
10-21-2011, 10:44 PM
Hey im getting your idea now, so instead of bracing the drill chuck you are making a secondary spindle bolted to the post with one end of the axle in the chuck and the other end with a mill bit chuck. I like it a lot as it would be able to hold the cutter at depth better too as currently i have no real way of setting the depth except for with the dodgy built in depth guage and a nut either side which is all plastic anyways. If i had a better drill press im sure it might have had a lock function built in but this is true backyard mechanics style :P;

Yep. I think you could make a secondary spindle pretty rigid and with plenty of strength to oppose side forces. Brad's idea of using a bottom bracket is a good one; the only reason I though of a car axle was the circular plate on the outboard end, already fitted with four or five nice strong bolts. Cutters and holding brackets could be fitted up as one piece, then bolted to the axle plate. Or, mount an inexpensive 3-jaw lathe chuck, or a collet chuck, to the plate.

If you used a bottom bracket, the square taper shaft would be ideal for accepting cutters mounted in holders made from cut-off crank arm bases. The bottom brackets already come with steel tubes welded on - those could be used as part of a bracket to mount the whole works to the drill press column. If you have a collection of scrap bottom brackets and crank arms, it would be a very cheap way of making interchangeable cutter holders. And with the tapered square shank on the crank axle, you'd never have a problem with alignment or slipping. Drive it from the top with the drill chuck and you're away.

RunnerPack
10-23-2011, 11:53 PM
I found this nice app for downloading Google Books:

http://www.gbooksdownloader.com/

My virus scanner said it was clean, and it seems spyware-/adware-free so far, too (make sure to activate "custom install" in the installer and de-select the "other thing" it wants to install. You'll see what I mean).

It does make you download the entire magazine (ads included) so I've bundled up the milling article and uploaded it here (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5754740/Mill%20on%20a%20Drill%20Press%3B%20PM%20Article.zi p) (since the forum won't let me attach it).

stormbird
10-24-2011, 01:48 AM
I found this nice app for downloading Google Books:

http://www.gbooksdownloader.com/

My virus scanner said it was clean, and it seems spyware-/adware-free so far, too (make sure to activate "custom install" in the installer and de-select the "other thing" it wants to install. You'll see what I mean).

hi there

Thanks for this I will give it a go.

Paul

Trike Lover
11-27-2011, 08:34 PM
hi there

Thznks for this I will give it a go.

Paul

One thing to be aware of with this freeware utility is that if you choose the default (standard) installation, it will also install the Arccosine toolbar and reset your default web server start page to the Arccosine web page. As Stormbird mentions, if you choose the "custom" option when installing, you can un-check installation of Arccosine.

Arccosine is not particularly harmful, it's just a pain in the backside. Removal requires manually chipping it out of the Firefox about:blank code listing; I would presume the same or similar procedures are required to remove it from other browsers.

Just a word of caution for those who don't like unexpected and unannounced intruders.