PDA

View Full Version : Taller and Narrower?

rsisson
06-07-2008, 11:20 AM
As I get close to actually starting on my my frame my wife finally spoke up about what SHE wanted...

She likes a more "Upright" style... like a Pedi-cab or the upcoming loderunner. (or what we have now, see below)

We both want a slightly narrower chassis as there are some places where we MUST go on sidewalks or bike paths as the speed limits are over 50Mph. Our current Quad in is only 40" wide, although we rarely are BOTH on it... the passenger is normally groceries...

Are there any sketches for mod for a taller. narrower. Pedi-cab/loderunner thing?

http://americanspeedster.com/side-kick.htm

And yes, if you watch you tube a lot, I'm the one that has been all over the web recently..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__-8Bi76AMQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDN4DvuvEHk

Neat vehicle, but at speed (25Mph+) it shimmies a lot...

What I want is a STEEL version of what I have

My thoughts were to Start with the Kyoto, put the seats Higher (the boat seats are nice and light) and take about 10 inches out of the frame width...

Comments PLEASE !!

PS...I like the LodeRunner...I took the 2nd seat out of the current quad and haven't bothered to put it back... grociers go in the back just fine and my wife and I never seem to go at the same time...

AtomicZombie
06-07-2008, 11:59 AM
I am planning an inline tandem version of the LodeRunner soon - maybe it would be more suited to your needs? I think the Kyoto would not be good if it was narrowed, as then the riders would be forced too close together, rubbing elbows. This seems to be a huge issue on the Speedster plan, judging from the photos on the website (seats are so close together).

Brad

rsisson
06-07-2008, 12:23 PM
I don't know about an in-line... they you couldn't talk...assuming you had a passenger.

The Quad I have now is really a 1.5 Person... The Main rider is almost centered, and the passenger straddles the rail and SHARES a wide pedal.

Again...what my wife wants is more a "Pedi-cab" so that Car drivers SEE IT and give it room...Ala the Side kick... She really likes haveing the cage arround her, even if it is only PVC... The LodeRunner comes closer and I may pursue that tact with smaller (lighter) tubing as we do have H I L L S... that can really sap you , even with motor support.

rsisson
06-07-2008, 01:23 PM
Sorry..one more post...

Take a look at...

http://www.rhoadescar.com/4w1p-h.htm

and

http://www.rhoadescar.com/4w2pcp-d.htm

Would have bought one a LONG time ago except for two things...

PRICE ($1,600 stock Ouch)
They put the motor on the chain, you can't use a hub-motor..

I like the tricycle with the power in the front, removes any chance of torque steer. Might want taller tires, again more of the pedicab/cars-see-me feel.

Oh yes...Canopy/Fairing

Bob

trikeman
06-07-2008, 02:17 PM
I think if it were me, and I was going to be driving on the street like that, I would be tempted to put some stop and turn lights on it.

AtomicZombie
06-07-2008, 04:55 PM
Here is what you need!...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rickshaw_pedicab/1313398617/sizes/o/

Loderunner would easily adapt to this.

Brad

trikeman
06-07-2008, 07:12 PM
You know, I sometimes get the sense that some of you guys that have built these quads are just about where Henry Ford was just before he started building cars with motors. I wonder where it will all lead?

rsisson
06-07-2008, 08:07 PM
My wife took the PVC monster to the store today...

Got stopped at least a dozen times by people wanting to know where they could get one, would I build one for them, and the like...

The PVC Monster was really designed as a "Grocery go Getter" rather than go fast recumbent... and with $5 gas, people are noticing "alternatives."

A Recumbent that you can't see out of a SUV window doesn't get the same attention...or road respect...

TheKid
06-07-2008, 10:57 PM
Why not build a sidekick with conduit? The whole idea of the AS quads, is that they require no welding. So just use 1 1/4" conduit instead of the 1 1/4" PVC with 1" conduit inserted in the bottom frames. You could use 1 1/4" EMT (conduit) for the bottom rails and the seat framing, and 3/4" EMT for the upper side rails. For the canopy, weld some pipe bushings to the upper rails, and screw in some PVC adapters. Then install the canopy you're using on the sidekick.

rsisson
06-08-2008, 11:47 AM
The PVC Side kicks actually already HAS 1-3/8 conduit in the bottom rails from the top rail of a chain-link fence.

The issue is rigidity of the front steering frame/box/assembly... it is a "Box" without any cross supports, so that a pot-hole or sideways thrust (wind, uneven road, camber, etc...) causes the frame to rack and thus pull to one side or the other. Add a POWERFULL hub motor on one rear back wheel and you can get some interesting torque steer even if the frame didn't rack...

Currently the "squirrely-ness" of the steering at speed is my wife's ONLY complaint...

She likes the "upright" style, the frame arround her and the presence on the road.

I believe that the SINGLE steering wheel will get rid of a LOt, if not all, of the squirley-ness in the steering, and by moving the drive to the fron I will also get rid of the torque steer.

I am THINKING about taking the raised frame idea of the Loderunner and Harvard's Kyoto Cruiser and building a Side-kick/Kyoto hybrid... but I need some help not being a designer... I think I know what I want, but not how to get there...

I can raise the seats (ala Harvard's Kyoto Cruiser) or I can rase the frame off the axels (ala Loderunner). Slighly narrowing the frame is the easy part... moving the driver inboard...uhm that could be tough... the Side kick does it with their unusual crank/jackshaft... which MIGHT let you use a standard wheel (no special Hub) Again, I am thinking of this as a 1.5 Person vehicle for getting the grocieries and being in traffic...

TheKid
06-08-2008, 03:18 PM
What I'm saying is, make the structural frame of the quad with EMT. Weld the EMT together, with no PVC in the structural part of the frame whatsoever. Make the kingpins from bicycle head and steering tubes with bearings, not a 1/4" aluminum rod that slides into two holes drilled in PVC fittings. This method will give you a solid, welded, front end, not PVC that bends and is stiffened with a useless 1/4" rod. It would probably be easier to use square tube for the main frame, then use the steel pipe bushings and PVC adapters so you could use your existing canopy, which is a lot lighter than steel. When I built my AS quad, I had to revamp the entire front end to include bearings for the steering, and I bored out the PVC fittings in front and slid in a solid length of tube for the axle. I did the same for the rear axle. By the time I got done building it, it weighed over 80 lbs, because I kept adding steel and heavy aluminum angles every time the thing warped with a change in weather. It finally warped so much that it wouldn't track straight, and it was nearly impossible to ride.
The design is nice, but PVC is not a good material for building frames. It's very possible to build one with a similar design, out of 1 1/4" and 3/4" EMT, or square steel tube for the lower structure, and PVC for the canopy frame, and still come in under 70 lbs.

rsisson
06-08-2008, 05:34 PM
Hummm...Sounds good...and do-able...

I like the idea of a TRIKE though as it will be easier to steer, and no trying to align the two wheels to each other and the frame... I still think that's where some of my squirleynes comes from.

I could use 1 x 2 for the bottom "box" since there will be a couple of cross pieces. I would use the 2" vertically and then use 1" for the upper box frame. Since there would be interconnected boxes it would be stiff. I could keep the standard wheels...Has merit...

Was looking forward to disk brakes..but...

Have to do some sketches...

TheKid
06-08-2008, 07:08 PM
You could do whatever you want. Trike, quad, high, low, narrow, wide, etc. All you have to do is come up with a plan, or modify plans that are in existence. You want disc brakes? Build it with disc brakes. Your experience with the Sidekick gives you a good idea of features you want and don't want in your next build, so you have a good foundation to work with.