PDA

View Full Version : cable routing questions.

Philv88
09-15-2011, 12:18 PM
So I got my plans!!! I'm getting ready to start hacking up my donor bikes and get this bike on the road. However I had some questions regarding cable routing. My donor bike's front derailer cables run down the down tube, under the bottom bracket and up to the front derailer. How do I run a cable to this when I have it set up on the high roller front boom? And for the rear derailer, do I just run full length cable housing directly to it? I guess same question for the brakes, do I just use full length cable housings?
Lastly, does anyone have any close up detailed pictures of their derailer set ups? I am most interested in seeing how others have done it.
Thanks in advance.

Radical Brad
09-15-2011, 01:45 PM
I always use long cables with housings, but if you don't mind a bit of small detailing work, you can salvage the cable guides from other frames.

Brad

schu777
09-15-2011, 10:32 PM
I've cut out the cable guides/holders out of donor bikes, flaten them as much as I could and then weld them on. I've got a bunch of clean up to do, but it works.

Philv88
09-16-2011, 04:53 PM
So I stopped by my local bike shop where I picked up one of my donor bikes. I was discussing the front derailer routing with him, and I don't think I will be able to use the derailer I had in mind. I'm sure it could be done with enough time and effort, but I think it would be easier to just go with another front derailer. Does anyone use indexed shifting on their bikes? It looks like for the most part they are friction shifters. I have no problem with that, just wondering.

John Lewis
09-17-2011, 06:44 AM
I use cable guides and try to minimise the cable outer. This improves the index shifting.
All my bikes and trikes have indexed shifting either bar end shifters or twist grip types.
One thing. If you use indexed shifting you need the right type of cable outer. It has longitudinal wires
not the spiral type like brake outer.

John

Philv88
09-17-2011, 10:00 PM
Good to know about the cables, I'll keep it in mind when I'm at that point. I was doing more tear down on my donor bike and I figured I will just go ahead and weld in a cable stop. shouldnt be a big deal. I'm excited to get back to my work and start hacking away.

Ibedayank
09-18-2011, 02:01 AM
for routing cables on corners you can weld on sections of stainless steel brake or fuelline welded and bent to the frame

BRADinSTL
10-03-2011, 11:21 PM
for routing cables on corners you can weld on sections of stainless steel brake or fuelline welded and bent to the frame

THAT is a great idea Yank !! I'll have to remember that one. I was having trouble getting the noodles to line up on my build.

Thanks!

imamedik
10-04-2011, 12:02 AM
Philv88, another way you can run your cables is shown on post's 36and 37 of my Deltawolf build http://forum.atomiczombie.com/showthread.php?4393-Almost-ready-to-Build-the-Delta-Wolf/page2 I know it looks ugly in those pics but they do work real good and they are a lot cheaper than SS fuel lines:jester:

BRADinSTL
10-04-2011, 12:05 AM
304730463045:3044

Hi Phil, Here are some shots of my Highroller build. The front derailer you have should work fine. It sounds like the one I used. I just ran the cable housing right up to the derailer.

Cable guides are the way to go in my opinion. I just think they look cool. I ran out of them from my donor bike so I bought a few online. Be carefull when attaching them. You don't want to blow a hole through the frame late in the build. And the melt pretty easy (don't ask!!).

Let me know if I need to take better shots to show you what I'm referring to.
Keep posting photos of your progress!

Ibedayank
10-04-2011, 12:13 AM
Ima

the reason I say stainless steel is because its smoother and harder metal meaning less wear wil happen then using other metals
easy to get from streetrod and custom bike shops short little chunks are not much good to them

for brazeon small parts ...
http://www.cycle-frames.com/bicycle-frame-tubing/STEEL-SMALL-PARTS/

Philv88
10-05-2011, 12:29 AM
Thanks for all the tips. I guess I was a little worried about doing all the welding, but now that I have gotten the hang of it I am confident I can weld in the cable stops. I will be getting some updates up sometime this week.