PDA

View Full Version : Screen or curtain for welding/grinding

Martinierius
08-24-2011, 08:56 AM
I'm curious as to what sollutions you have found for these 'problems':

- protect surroundings from welding splatter/flying metal parts
- keep iron dust from spreading all over the place

I was thinking of using a thick wool blanket hung up on a steel cord.
Or if it has to be movable: screens in plywood/...

Mayby you have fabricated already something elegant and/or cheap?

trikeman
08-24-2011, 11:54 AM
When I cut metal, I often put my chop saw up on an old charcoal grill I have. When the lid is up it makes a pretty good screen to contain the sparks. I have also just stood up a piece of plywood behind the saw and even my angle grinder. I also mostly gave up cutting metal or in my driveway because the metal shavings make it red once they get wet. I also weld with the stick and wire welder in the back yard now. With my OA torch, I don't have to worry about it much and still weld in the driveway.

darnthedog
08-24-2011, 01:08 PM
The sparks from grinding are very hot and can melt auto glass. Do not use a material such as Wool as the sparks can catch and sit in the fabric.
I have used a card board sheet from a large box to deflect the sparks when grinding. They hit and go to the concert floor. Clean up is a vacuum or a magnet broom that allows pick up and release.

Ibedayank
08-24-2011, 03:31 PM
wool will burn this will not
http://www.harborfreight.com/welding/welding-accessories/4-ft-x-6-ft-fiberglass-welding-blanket-67833.html
use the right tool for the job

socialtalker
08-24-2011, 04:08 PM
you beat me to the punch.lol

Re: Screen or curtain for welding/grinding
http://www.harborfreight.com/welding...ket-67833.html

PeterT
08-24-2011, 10:47 PM
The sparks from grinding ... They hit and go to the concert floor.

Darn,

Can I work where you are building, I mean having a concert floor sure sounds better than having a plain concrete floor :jester:

Do find your grinders sound better if you tune them to B# aug 7th minor?:rolleyes4:

You must be resounding with new ideas all the time!

PeterT

Ibedayank
08-24-2011, 11:50 PM
you beat me to the punch.lol

Re: Screen or curtain for welding/grinding
http://www.harborfreight.com/welding...ket-67833.html

Much cheaper then those red tinted screens

Martinierius
08-25-2011, 03:51 AM
Too bad harborfreight doesn't ship to Europe (Belgium)

:(

A magnet broom sounds cool...

darnthedog
08-25-2011, 09:28 AM
Sorry Martinierius- the spell checker does not differentiate between Concrete and Concert. But to Clarify so everyone realizes what I meant was Cement-or Driveway or sidewalk material. Not Music. I can't hear anything when grinding other that the sweet tune of the grinder spinning and the ting of the metal being removed even through my ear plugs. I don't know what you have acess to in Belium as far as stores and supplies. Thus the reason for not suggesting Harbor Freight.
However if you have a welding supply store the Fiberglass blanket should be available but it probably won't be as cheap as Harbor Freight. However any smooth surface material should deflect the sparks from grinding as the will bounce of of it. The issue you want to avoid is anything that will catch and hold the hot sparks unless it is fire and heat retardant. Once they cool off you should be ok to just sweep them up.

One other warning: Do not mix different metals and stay away from zinc coated metals as the fumes from welding are posionous. Aluminum and Steel mixed if they start burning can melt right through an engine block and will continue burning till the material is used up. See: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ThermiteJust a little heads up. Welcome to the Crew by the way.

Ibedayank
08-25-2011, 11:50 AM
Too bad harborfreight doesn't ship to Europe (Belgium)

:(

A magnet broom sounds cool...

local welding supply store will have them
at least gives you the right idea of what to ask for

Trike Lover
08-26-2011, 02:02 AM
I'm curious as to what sollutions you have found for these 'problems':

- protect surroundings from welding splatter/flying metal parts
- keep iron dust from spreading all over the place

I was thinking of using a thick wool blanket hung up on a steel cord.
Or if it has to be movable: screens in plywood/...

Mayby you have fabricated already something elegant and/or cheap?

Ugly not elegant. But very cheap.

Three pieces of thin scrap plywood from a building site dumpster, each about 45 cm high and 70-80 cm long, joined together with two sets of cheap hinges. This is my welding/grinding screen and folds flat when not in use. If I had some thin pieces of sheet metal I would make a folding screen out of those.

For a base I have a chunk of thicker plywood, again scrounged, about 90 cm x 90 cm. This sits on the picnic table in the driveway.

For welding, I have a piece of steel sheet that sits on the plywood base for a metal tabletop. It's about the same size as the wood base. It used to be the side of an old Maytag clothes dryer that was being scrapped - scrounged and free.

I use a loose vise, as shown in Brad's video. I also use c-clamps and welding magnets. Sometimes I have to clamp down the vice, and I usually put a couple of clamps to hold the steel sheet to the plywood so the steel doesn't move around.

All this can also all be set up on the tailgate of my pickup truck.

I have had burn marks on the side shield, but it has never caught fire.

It's not pretty, and it's not permanent, but it seems to work.

My only costs were for the hinges - about $4 - and for the vice, which i found in the classified ads for $10

I guess if you add in the welding magnets and clamps, which I buy when they go on sale, I might have spent $35-$40 to make this portable work table-top.

To pick up the metal shavings and ground material, I use a few magnets inside a thick plastic zip-lock bag. After sweeping the tabletop, I can separate the magnets from the shavings with the bag held over the garbage can.

Martinierius
08-26-2011, 03:49 AM
Wow, some really interesting info in this thread.
I like:

- Screen from scrap wood board with hinges to fold flat
- Screen from card board sheet
- Heat retardant blanket/curtain
- Magnet in plastic zip-lock bag for picking up iron dust
- Steel sheet from dishwasher/clothesdryer/... to protect wood bench
- Charcoal grill with lid for cutting metal

I also intend to repurpose an old kitchen hood to suck the fumes away from the cellar where I'm working.