PDA

View Full Version : rolling high roller

64c10
06-22-2011, 07:30 PM
while i was building the tomahawk i decided to go ahead and build a highroller using the tomahawk rear end. very nice ride once you get used to laying back on 2 wheels, for the past year i have been only riding my streetfox. this is a huge change.

trikeman
06-22-2011, 07:35 PM
That looks great. I was thinking of doing the same thing, cause I love the rear end design of the Tomahawk/Warrior so much. I really hated trying to find suitable donors for some reason, and really like the idea of not having to get frame parts off donors, cause I never know what I am going to find or not find.

I hope you will give us some comparison speed reports on the HighRoller vs the Tomahawk.

SirJoey
06-22-2011, 09:28 PM
I'm not a big fan of the HighRoller,
but that one looks pretty choice! :)

*** The **** Is My Shepherd! ***
http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/7131/sirjoeysigmedij1.gif
(Geezer & Bent Enthusiast At Large)

64c10
06-23-2011, 07:00 AM
Thanks tm, that style rear is very easy to make and looks good, made the build real easy. as for reports, the tomahawk does seem much faster but the seat is layed back alot more than the highroller. the highroller feels almost as fast but more stable, but that could be me not comfortable on a 2 wheel recumbent yet

sj coming from you with your awesome builds i am humbled, thank you

trikeman
06-23-2011, 07:33 AM
There is a lot of controversy right now on BROL (BentriderOnline) over whether the high racers are more unsafe for us older guys with brittle bones. As I recall, we discussed it here a few years ago too. There have been several on BROL that have taken spills from high racers and broken hips. There is one guy here in Atlanta that has sworn off them for that reason while he heals up from a fairly bad hip break on one. He is 66. Its one of the reasons I am attracted to mid-to-low racers right now.

You can take a spill on any bike, but somehow being only a few inches from the ground gives me a (false?) sense of safety. Everytime I ride my fastest DF road bike, I think to myself, "Man this feels unsafe at any speed." Then again, I think the high racers are just sexy, and they are very fast. With a higher center of gravity, many say they high racers are more stable, as you say 64c10, and takes you longer to hit the ground, so there is more time to react. Several guys have been injured trying to unclip from the high bottom brackets, and the general consensus seems to be to stay clipped and ride it out in if you are going down. High racers are also better accepted by DF riders in pace lines, so if you are into that sort of thing..

Anyway, great looking build 64c10. I may build one eventually just to look at it, but I know if I had one, I would be trying to ride it :)

Racer46
06-26-2011, 09:44 PM
I did it the other way around. I started building a Highroller with the Warrior rear end stays (same thing) then cut it off to make my Tomahawk. As soon as I can get back to building I'll build another set of stays, weld them onto the Highroller and finish it off.

Fran
09-03-2011, 04:16 AM
Hi,
I'm building the highroller with tomahawk rear end. I will install rim brakes. I just wonded if anyone had a foto of such an instalation. Another question: are the seat stays mandatory on the Highroller if built with tomahawk rear end?

Thanks!

Radical Brad
09-03-2011, 01:27 PM
It is a great lookin' ride... cheers!

Brad

trikeman
09-03-2011, 06:41 PM
Hi,
I'm building the highroller with tomahawk rear end. I will install rim brakes. I just wonded if anyone had a foto of such an instalation. Another question: are the seat stays mandatory on the Highroller if built with tomahawk rear end?

Thanks!

I think if you put a nice piece of steel behind the seat you probably don't need any other seat support.

trikeman
09-03-2011, 11:47 PM
Fran - also take a look at this photo of the new Spirit. It has no back of the seat supports, other than the tubing directly behind the seat.

http://www.atomiczombie.com/product/spirit/large3.jpg

Brandon
11-11-2011, 01:33 PM
I am torn between the higholler, spirit and tomahawk. Thank goodness for the 6 plan deal... Now just for deciding on the other 3 to get.

Brandon
11-11-2011, 01:54 PM
I think that the Spirit would make a better bike for about town... Might want a mega drive for the 20% incline on our road.

TexasTuff
11-11-2011, 03:06 PM
Good looking ride 64c10. I'm gathering the parts together now to finish my trike and a spirit with a suspended read end. I sure got a lotta stuff I want.

64c10
11-12-2011, 06:19 PM
i know what you mean, i have 7 and working on number 8. possible doing a timber wolf next summer

arms10
02-19-2012, 04:39 PM
I have a feeling that my own build of a Spirit SWB is going to look a lot like your highroller 64c10...the idea of a dual 26" bent setup is rather enticing at the moment.