PDA

View Full Version : Any short people ride a spin cycle with 20" wheels?

yeah
05-26-2011, 12:24 AM
I was just reading a little more on the forum about spin cycles, and it leads me to ask the question, are any of you short people riding spin cycles with 20" wheels? I am 5'2", so this concerns me a bit.

stormbird
05-26-2011, 01:26 AM
Hi there

The Spin Cycle can be made for any leg length you just rotate the pedals up towards the head tube until you can reach them.

The downside of this is that the BB becomes higher.

If you are building the Spin Cycle with castors i.e not riding it very far and are short in the leg you could always use a 16" wheel ?

Paul

yeah
05-26-2011, 01:50 AM
Hi stormbird. Thanks for your reply. :-)

I'm not going to build it with casters. It will be for regular riding in low traffic areas, for exercise. I know 16" wheels are an option, they're just not a very attractive one at present, because the bikes I have to work with have 20" wheels.

I can imagine that making the bottom bracket higher might cause more discomfort. That is also a point of concern. But I wonder, does it cause loss of pedal power?

Radical Brad
05-26-2011, 07:59 PM
You are going to need a 16 inch wheel. If you plan on trying the design as a street rider rather than just for fun, there are now very high quality 16 inch wheels available with thing high pressure tires at many bike shops. I have seen these on what they called "racing BMX bikes". I might get a set for a new compact folding SWB project I have planned.

Brad

yeah
05-26-2011, 09:59 PM
Thanks for your reply. This is a little disappointing, as I have only BMX-type bikes to cannibalize. :( Oh, well. If I can't lay hand to an appropriate (and cheap) 16" wheel/tire/tube in the next couple of days, I may go ahead and make the KoolKat. Looks easy enough, and I've built something similar in the past. It'd be safer in traffic, anyway. :p