PDA

View Full Version : Vigilante weight

KoolKat
05-10-2011, 11:45 PM
Questions from a noob builder:

"How much does the Vigilante weigh?

I thought about making an electric version of it but I must consider the weight in my math.

Is it too hard to make in aluminum? Or perhaps it would be so strong or too expensive?

But the weight of it I must know. Thank you!"

Radical Brad
05-13-2011, 01:31 PM
The final weight will be most affected by your choice of rear wheel and tire. Make no mistake, both The Vigilante and Overkill are heavy beyond your wildest dreams!
Well, as far as bicycles go, they are certainly heavy... 70 to 80 pounds, depending on wheel choice.

You could certainly make them electric, but not in the same way you would electrify a normal bicycle. With an 80 pound chopper having minimal brakes, you certainly would never want yo get over a fast jogging speed, so a hubmotor is out.You will need to use a geared down transmission of some kind, possible made from one of the el-cheapo "scooter motors" sold on ebay.

Can it be done... definitely!
But consider a rear disc brake and don't think of reaching speeds over 15 MPH without suspension.

Yes, if you are a highly skilled welder and understand the technical details of proper aluminum welding, you may be able to make a car wheel chopper weighing less than 60 pounds, but this will not be easy to do considering the weight of a fat car tire, rim and the needed bicycle components are still going to make the bulk of the weight.

So I say "go for it"!
Hope to see some photos as your build progresses.

Brad

macka
02-05-2015, 10:17 AM
What about using a fat wheel seeing the only mod would be to narrow the front forks and rear triangle?