PDA

View Full Version : Ideal bike to purchase, from where?

pinjas
04-13-2011, 06:38 PM
Hello,

I read on the highroller.pdf it is ideal to purchase a new bike in order to utilize new parts. I can agree with that perspective, but I don't really know where the most ideal place to buy a bike for a highroller project might be.
I was thinking of checking out target and walmart, any suggestions for any other places? I live around Minneapolis MN. I don't need anything specific, I am hoping to pick up a little wisdom on the subject of an ideal project bike to hack up.

I am not sure if I missed it or not, but I was considering getting some BB7 disk brakes for the bike as well, I think being able to stop at downhill recumbent speed is likely a very important detail. I've never been on a recumbent before, but I understand it can be pretty fast.

I am going to use a bike with 26 inch wheels. Steel frame (considered the virtues of aluminum but I am not interested in forking over the cash to get it heat treated). Thanks for any advice.

IrvJamison
04-14-2011, 01:23 AM
None of the bikes that Target has have disc brakes. Wallyworld does at about $115.00 and up or with 21 speeds about $230.00 and up. Check out Craig's List and see if there is a community (city/county run) bike shop. Also Goodwill or Salvation Army Thrift stores.

pinjas
04-16-2011, 02:28 AM
Maybe it was because I was at a 'super target', but they had several bicycles with disc brakes. I've certainly shopped around craigslist and so on, but I was thinking new might be the way to go as it was suggested to get a new bike on the atomic zombie guide.

Thanks for the response.

IrvJamison
04-16-2011, 01:10 PM
Our Targets do not have any bikes with disc brakes, but are not Super Targets. I looked again at their website and see that they now have some models with disc brakes. They are more money than Wallyworld.

IrvJamison
04-16-2011, 01:24 PM
Depending on what parts you need, it may pay to look at eBay, Amazon, etc. I just purchased 5 sets of older model Shimano shifters, 11-34 and 11-30 cassettes, derailers, chains, wheels and brakes, all brand new and for about what used cost. I don't need frame/fork parts as I have a ton already. I you have a need for the frame parts then Target, Wallyworld, Toys R Us, etc is a great source for new parts!

IrvJamison
04-16-2011, 01:38 PM
Also, check out Target, Wal-mart or Toys R Us for this: Any bike that they sell via in-store or web sales that is returned to their store that has a problem may be fixed but most likely would be replace with another bike. That “defective bike” is then reported to the manufacturer as “Defective” and the store gets full credit. The store is suppose to add that bike to the trash compactor but may times you can purchase the “defective bike” if you talk with the store manager. Most of these “defective bikes” are only in need of an adjustment or some other minor thing that are beyond the skills of the employees.

pinjas
05-30-2011, 09:39 PM
Hello IrvJamison,

I learned recently that I've been hitting the wrong 'reply' button. The button up and to the left of the box I am typing in seems like a trick or a trap, hah. Anyway, I've tried all of the big box stores that sell bikes looking for broken or defective ones. I've had no luck out of the dozens of attempts. I live in Minnesota, it's only been warm enough for a month or so for most people to be willing enough to hop onto a bicycle and go for a ride. So, I imagine in a month or so maybe a few bikes will have been returned and I might catch a break in this conquest of an idea. I've almost broke down and bought a bike out right several times. I am really considering just buying a bike new and still pursuing the defective idea for a while as I do other things as well. We will see.

Thanks for the ideas, I really appreciate it.

Radical Brad
05-31-2011, 11:33 AM
Yes, it is strange that the "Reply to Thread" button would still be active while you are replying! If I find the time, I will try to hack the code to "fix" it.

If you have large hills to fly down, disc brakes will be the best choice. I wore pad brakes out much too fast on hills.

Brad

pinjas
06-01-2011, 06:05 PM
Yes, it is strange that the "Reply to Thread" button would still be active while you are replying! If I find the time, I will try to hack the code to "fix" it.

If you have large hills to fly down, disc brakes will be the best choice. I wore pad brakes out much too fast on hills.

Brad

Yeah, I am considering getting some BB7s to put on a recumbent build. I have rode a bicycle in the rain several times, generally anything on the 'braking area' of the wheel may cause some problems, but the wheels themselves being soaked made it nearly impossible for me to stop every time. When going down hill I have never been able to slow down either. That is how I came to a similar conclusion. Quick wear and poor performance out of regular brakes on a bicycle probably wouldn't cut it assuming I understand the speed increase correctly, especially, as you noted, the downhill portion. Thanks for the suggestion.