PDA

View Full Version : Behind schedule

Patrike
05-26-2008, 06:57 AM
Hi

Well with visitors this weekend I was seriously curtailed in my ability to focus on the build -- I was even off on Friday and still did not get to having the driver side fully operational.

At this point I got the steering functional - seat frames tacked on and the wood backings cut. I do not like the rod end stearing joints I am using -- too much play, I will change them out.

I followed the plans for the basic seat measuremnts -- mostly -- but used some metal I had left over from stairs I made. The metal is 1X3 1/16 wall so it works out same weight approx. I trust this design as it worked well in taking lots of pounding on the stairs -- see pic.

I am pretty sure I will not be done for this up coming event on saturday.

Latrer
Patrick

SirJoey
05-26-2008, 07:45 AM
...I am pretty sure I will not be done for this up coming event on saturday.

Hey, you're STILL getting 'er done at warp speed, though! I still haven't even started on my wheels, except for dismantling 'em. Heck, I've practically retired from the hobby. Maybe I should start a "Starting Soon" thread! :rolleyes:

Lookin' good, man. :)

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/4687/sirjoeysigsmallmg5.gif

Patrike
05-26-2008, 08:31 AM
Hey, you're STILL getting 'er done at warp speed:rolleyes:
Lookin' good, man. :)http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/4687/sirjoeysigsmallmg5.gif

Thanks -- but I am only at warp 1 -- I would like to be going at 6.8 to 9.9 -- Heck, TransWarp is needed at this point!!!

Patrick

TheKid
05-26-2008, 03:43 PM
You will indeed have no problems with the 1x3. I used 1" square tube on a tadpole to raise the seat with no problems at all.

Patrike
05-27-2008, 11:05 AM
I tried truing a wheel up last night. Got side to side better but took the up and down?? out of whack. I may not have time to get them trued really good -- but reasonable(slow speeds only).

Tonight I will finish my handle bar extension and drill out my free wheel adapters.

I still need to find some foam and coverings for seats.

Patrick

Patrike
06-17-2008, 10:06 AM
Did a little more truing last night -- same 1st wheel -- It looks pretty good now. I estimate I would it took aprox 15hrs -- 13 of wich were probably spent watching tv/movies :>). I think I will sit in the garage on the next one and hopefully get it done much faster.

Patrick

Patrike
08-07-2008, 12:28 PM
Hi

Got an email from Sir Joey the other day asking about me. Still around but I have been helping my brother on weekends to get his new building up for his business. Thus all personal project are on hold. Might get back to the Kyoto in Sept. If I get any spare time I will work on improving my other trike as I want to try and sell it at the Trikefest in Port Hope this month - might not get that done either as weeknights I am putting towards excercising and getting back into sometype of reasonable shape so this leaves almost most no time for hobbies. I will lurk now and then to see how things are going for others -- On lunch break at this time, so this is about the only time I have a chance to look in.

Cheers
Patrick

SirJoey
08-07-2008, 01:41 PM
Good to hear from ya' again, Patrick. Lookin' forward to your "triumphant return", LOL!

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/7131/sirjoeysigmedij1.gif

Patrike
03-12-2009, 02:08 PM
Good to hear from ya' again, Patrick. Lookin' forward to your "triumphant return", LOL!

Well - though not triumphant -- the Kyoto is back in the build. As some may know I have pulled the Kyoto out of the shed to show at the 09 International bike show in Toronto -- I will be setting up tomorrow. I was working on one of the seats last night so some folks will be able to sit on it. I will have the other unfoamed seat on to show folks the before and after effect. I never got around to fixing the steering yet -- hopefully tonight - or at least get the handle bars on. The laptop slide show is also ready to go for the most part - thank the sofware Gods for PowerPoint. I will be finishing the Kyoto this spring and starting a new build and finished by fall - what, I have not decided yet, but leaning toward 2 wheels I think.

Seat/build progress can be followed here, for now:
http://patrike.synthasite.com/kyoto-cruiser.php

You probably will not here from me until after this weekend. :builder2:
Cheers

greenevegiebeast
03-12-2009, 02:23 PM
pat remind me to never ask you to carve a turkey for me , it might tast to much like foam.

Patrike
03-12-2009, 03:00 PM
pat remind me to never ask you to carve a turkey for me , it might tast to much like foam.

That would have been an improvement to my last years turkey:stooge_curly:

Patrike
03-12-2009, 03:02 PM

Actually -- the foam probably would have been better to eat straight up then that turkey! :jester:

greenevegiebeast
03-12-2009, 03:24 PM
Actually -- the foam probably would have been better to eat straight up then that turkey! :jester:

that bad of a cook are you,

rickairmed
03-12-2009, 03:50 PM
Patrike dont feel bad I am behind schedule as well on my build the Babystreetfox was supposed to be done for Christmas and its still not done . I need to get on the ball since I just took an order from a friend for a Delta wolf.

Rick

Patrike
03-18-2009, 07:23 AM
I want to change the steering to USS for the KC build. Was there not a mod for USS steering somewhere-not for the KC presay but for one of the other builds.

Patrick

JayRay
03-18-2009, 08:47 AM
Patrike,
Here is the link for the steering Mod.
http://www.atomiczombie.com/videos/dwmod1/dwmod1.htm

Your Kyoto looks great so far,
keep the pics comoing!
Jay

Patrike
03-18-2009, 12:07 PM
Patrike,
Here is the link for the steering Mod.
http://www.atomiczombie.com/videos/dwmod1/dwmod1.htm

Your Kyoto looks great so far,
keep the pics comoing!
Jay

Thanks JR

Now that I have seen it again - not sure I will go that exact path - giving me some extra ideas though.

I want to still go with my original concept of having adjustable length steering so I have made a bracket simalar to the BB. I will have to adjust that somehow with the current head tube. I will have to have a steering brainstorming session with me myself and I tonight..

Patrick

Patrike
03-18-2009, 11:21 PM
I have updated pic's at my site - some pics for the steering mode and some pics for of the show.

Steering:
http://patrike.synthasite.com/kyoto-cruiser.php

Show:
http://patrike.synthasite.com/2009-bike-show.php

TheKid
03-19-2009, 02:20 AM
Nice work Pat. Some interesting rides at the show too.

SirJoey
03-19-2009, 09:58 AM
That's sooo kool!
I bet it was fun to show it off, even unfinished, huh?

I wish there were events like that around here... :(

Radical Brad
03-19-2009, 12:52 PM
It would have been a cool show to attend.

Brad

Patrike
03-27-2009, 08:45 PM
Well, was hoping to get some build in this weekend - have to study for a certification for work -- I get paid for studying which is good - but more then likely will cut big time into the build. I have not found the small head tube I need for the USS steering. Need for yardsales to start up and some small tricycle to go onsale. Lots of stuff to until I find that -- rack to put on the back still. Well, lets get to work on the cert -- then I can build when done.

Cheers
Patrick

Patrike
03-30-2009, 06:51 AM
I was unable to log into the website for training this weekend so I got some other things done. One of those things was getting a good start on my Bin carrier/rack. I had purchased a heavy plastic locable bin for the Kyoto last fall and decided to make the carrying rack for it.

I had collected some bed frames for various projects -- one was my railings in my basement landing-completed now. I had planned to do some trailers with them as well but have not made any yet. So now some is being used for this project.

I actually got my metal chop saw out of storage but the blade is getting to small for cutting so I had to Brad cut them(grinder).

I had wanted to do something a little fancier with angled supports but time is in short supply these days so I kept it simple.

It is turning out pretty good. I am now debating if I should do like the bottom brackets and make brackets that allow remove thus making it better/smaller/neater for storing when not in use.

Patrike
03-30-2009, 06:56 AM
Pic's of bin rack holder thingy!

Patrike
03-30-2009, 07:10 AM
More pics available at:

http://patrike.synthasite.com/kyoto-bin-holder.php

Patrike
04-08-2009, 01:12 PM
I have decided not to go with the current seat -- found it to uncomfortable for my liking. I am going to go with the seat design from recycled recumbents page. I still have to work out some details but I have ridden in that style seat and think it will be a better ride -- this means I may have to go back to the steering Brad designed as there may not be enough room for the USS I wanted - like I said, still some details to work out.

later
patrick

Patrike
04-16-2009, 01:20 PM
Well -- I have to put the nose to the grinder stone thing.. I have to get the KC ready for this years Ride for Heart- june7. I have registered and have a co-pilot confirmed as well. I plan to have a nice sign on the back advertising for a few folks -- AZ being one of them with K&B blessing, Trikefest for another once host John confirms I can. One other I am going to approach is the local electric bike shop -- I am hoping he will give me a hub motor and battery kit at cost for advertising in the ride. He is out no money for great advertisement and I get a great deal.

Danner
04-21-2009, 07:43 PM
On a slightly unrelated subject, does anyone know why it's dubbed Kyoto Cruiser? I haven't stumbled across that anywhere...

Radical Brad
04-21-2009, 09:54 PM
At the time, there was a lot of attention regarding Canada's opposition to the Kyoto protocol, so we figured we would slap a motor on the trike, take up our spot in the road and have our own "green" solution to transportation while the rest of the clowns squabbled.

Brad

On a slightly unrelated subject, does anyone know why it's dubbed Kyoto Cruiser? I haven't stumbled across that anywhere...

25hz
04-22-2009, 08:33 AM
Pat! I just stumbled across your site! I didn't know you had one. Glad to see you're back hacking and slashing again though. It looks like you've got a nice big, open, work space. I wish I was that lucky :)

It's good that you're aiming for the RFH again, but don't forget about the Ride for the Rouge. About a month earlier, and you can bring PT1 to it! Casual ride, casual pace, good roads and 25km or 50km if you want to do the extra 25km loop. Larry and I are going, and possibly another bent rider from work too. Maybe I'll post to the THPV, GB and BHPV lists as reminders and get some more bents out if we can.

I haven't decided what I'll ride yet, but Larry is taking his triple 26" trike. I'll maybe take the Max as the Raptor doesn't like low speeds. My friend is riding El Tigre, I think. My daughter is coming home from university in a week so she might be interested in taking the Speed.

Patrike
04-27-2009, 06:56 AM
Well -- lots of hrs put in this weekend but not as much done as I would have liked. I finished the 1st seat fabric - see here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hpv_homebuilders/photos/album/1938158357/pic/list

I updated the homebuilders and not my web page - been trying to do both but it is a pain. the Hpv Hbuilders site has a much better file loader for pics so alot easier!

I spent all day yesterday trying to figure out how mount the RecycledRecumbent (RR) seat design on the Kyoto - I did not like my 1st thoughts/attemps - turned out too flimzy to my liking. I then looked up the RR meathod using cut in half 1.25 bike and 3/4 EMT tubes. If you have been following - I made the RR seat but use 1/2" square tube -- not exactly ready and willing to mate to the cut half tubes so some adapting was required. I think I have it figured out -- you will have to check out the HPV site on yahoo for pics.

Later - Patrick

TheKid
04-27-2009, 07:50 AM
Pat, you need a yahoo ID to get there. Can you post directly from your computer? There's a provision for it in the "Go Advanced" reply option. Click the paper clip icon.

Patrike
04-27-2009, 11:08 AM
Sorry not following that?

Pat, you need a yahoo ID to get there. Can you post directly from your computer? There's a provision for it in the "Go Advanced" reply option. Click the paper clip icon.

TheKid
04-27-2009, 12:11 PM
When I click on your link, all I get is the yahoo sign in page. I don't know if it's just me or if everyone else gets the page. You can download pics as attachments directly from your computer to the forums.

GregLWB
04-27-2009, 01:07 PM
When I click on your link, all I get is the yahoo sign in page. I don't know if it's just me or if everyone else gets the page. You can download pics as attachments directly from your computer to the forums.

Not just you Kid, I got the same thing and thought it was just me again.:jester:

Greg

Patrike
04-27-2009, 01:07 PM
Oh --ok -- No! I was to lazy to post to several - here, yahoo and my webpage -- I did the yahoo page as it is tonnes easier to upload a wack of pics all at once. Sorry, for now you will have to wait or get Yahooed. I may or may not update my personal website anymore -- I just don't like its format -- One size pics only, three steps upload one pic. Maybe I will look into one of the other photo sites when time premits.

I just tried to upload here and get errors I am over my limit - the files are not that big.

Cheers

TheKid
04-27-2009, 02:33 PM
Just delete some of your older files and you'll be back under the limit. Also resizing pics to small (Fits a 640x480 screen) reduces the file size. They still come out large enough for viewing.

Patrike
04-28-2009, 04:05 PM
We only get 60K? I see tonnes of post's with lots of pics -- hows that done?

GregLWB
04-28-2009, 04:13 PM
We only get 60K? I see tonnes of post's with lots of pics -- hows that done?

I had similar problems. Photobucket is the answer. Really easy to use and free.:jester:

Greg

TheKid
04-28-2009, 07:24 PM
Great seat! Yes, photobucket or similar sites allow more pics to be posted.

John Lewis
04-28-2009, 11:11 PM
Good looking seat there. Looks like you welded square tube for the support tubes instead of bending round.

On my last seat I used single bend V shapes instead of the more usual U shape. Less work and material and they seem to be just as good.

John Lewis

Patrike
04-29-2009, 08:12 AM
Good looking seat there. Looks like you welded square tube for the support tubes instead of bending round.

On my last seat I used single bend V shapes instead of the more usual U shape. Less work and material and they seem to be just as good.

John Lewis

thanks -- went with square as it was easier to make each one the same dimensions as the last. It does not look as good as round but most of the build is square - stick with the theme!

I am going to try a yellow vinyl coated fabric next with larger spaced weaved holes - I will have to use lots of boarder trim to facilitate a place for the eyelets to attach. I made up the braces last night - will put them on tonight a begin on the fabric - if all goes smoothly , and it never does, I should be done for tomorrow night with the fabric.

Patrike
04-29-2009, 08:16 AM
Great seat! Yes, photobucket or similar sites allow more pics to be posted.

Thanks Greg, kid -- I will go look at photobucket my next opertunity.

Patrike
05-27-2009, 10:30 AM
Trying out the Flickr site 1st - already a Yahooer so setup was easy.

Pic's load easy but the tag system does not work very well. I set my Tags to Kyoto, Seats, Steering and Stuff.

I get way to many hits to look through and find with just Kyoto. I use any other combination I can not find my pic's.

The link below is the "photostream" when I am logged in -- someone one take a peak and let me know if it lets you see my stuff -- thanks

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38830397@N07/

Odd Man Out
05-27-2009, 11:19 AM
Clicked on your Flickr ( that somehow does not sound right...) and found 12 pix. Good stuff. You know that you can copy the url from the picture and add them into your posts now?

Patrike
05-27-2009, 11:46 AM
I was more concerned with the search function of the tags and weather or not the link I gave was letting people into my account - under my user name and password.

Odd Man Out
05-27-2009, 04:02 PM
I was more concerned with the search function of the tags and weather or not the link I gave was letting people into my account - under my user name and password.

You are safe -- it just lets people look and, if you give permission, let them download the pix.

Danner
06-06-2009, 04:00 PM
Patrike, I didn't chase down the history on your first bike, but I was wondering about the handlebars you fabricated for USS. What material, EMT, or aluminum tube? And your bending technique? Or there another thread discussing all this? Thanks, Danner

Patrike
06-07-2009, 11:08 AM
Patrike, I didn't chase down the history on your first bike, but I was wondering about the handlebars you fabricated for USS. What material, EMT, or aluminum tube? And your bending technique? Or there another thread discussing all this? Thanks, Danner

Hi -- simple, 3/4 EMT with some mountain bike handle bars welded to it. At that time I cut slots in the MB HB's and pushed over top of the EMT and welded. I don't like that method any more, now I put 1/2 EMT inside the pieces of different doner handle bars and just butt them up and then weld - much stronger with less hassle and great alingment. With the 1/2 emt inside it also always for a good deep strong weld with far less chance of blowing holes and good penitration is the key-you want your weld to go deep and hit the emt which should not be too hard. 2/4 emt can be used still but I prefer doner bars over it. I have some pic's on flickr of the new bars I made for the Kyoto as the one off the Patrike one was to wide. If you do use 3/4 emt then you will need those mountain bike type bar holders that bolt together as 3/4 emt is too loose for a standard holder.

Kyoto handle bars (http://www.flickr.com/photos/38830397@N07/3569491645/)

Danner
06-07-2009, 01:52 PM
Looking good Patrick. So after your final adjustments, what are the width and "height" of your handlebars? Also, are your main booms at regulation width = 26" outside? I'm planning my KC, and it will probably be a bit narrower than the AZ plan, and I'm concerned about both rider's having room for hands with USS. Thanks,

Danner

Patrike
06-07-2009, 02:26 PM
Looking good Patrick. So after your final adjustments, what are the width and "height" of your handlebars? Also, are your main booms at regulation width = 26" outside? I'm planning my KC, and it will probably be a bit narrower than the AZ plan, and I'm concerned about both rider's having room for hands with USS. Thanks,

Danner

Driver seat worked out to be 17&1/4" wide and the handle bars width aprx 22" outside to outside measured near the top. This was as wide as I dared go as I did not want to encroach on the knuckles of the stoker. The bars have a slight angle outwards from bottom to top with the to being wider. There is just under 3" between driver and stoker handlebars - cutting it close!! So if you planning on norrowing you will want to stick with Brads steering.

Hieght is 12" from bottom outside of bar to top.

Main frame demensions I kepted as per plans. The only thing I changed on main frame was the supports on the riser to the headtube.