PDA

View Full Version : Multi-functional Adjustable Jig in Columbus

imamedik
02-27-2011, 07:48 PM
Multi-functional Adjustable Jig in Columbus (MAJiC) :jester:

I have built 4 bikes so far and I seem to spend alot of time clamping and un-clamping everything together in alignment for welding, then finding out that something slipped and threw everything out of alignment :rolleyes4: which would make me start over:(. Or I am setting up or taking down my work space and equipment so it is out of the way. So since the weather has been good for the last couple of weekends I decided to build a jig with built in clamps that will hold a frame for welding and can be left up and does not take up much space. this is what I have so far. The backbone is two 1"x3" 14ga rectangular tubing spaced 1.5" apart. I am using 5/16th in bolts spaced 4" apart to squeeze the backbone together as a clamp. I made the leveling bolts out of 3/8th in carriage bolts and nuts, one nut is welded to the bottom and the nut on top is for locking the leg in place
2045---------- 2044
wide view, about 80% done ----------------- side view of welding table attached to leg

2046---------- 2041
closeup of welding table you can see the-------- Jig for rear dropouts already set
clamps I made on the table and in use-----------for height and width of rear tire

IrvJamison
02-28-2011, 01:33 AM
That looks great and should end any alignment problems for good. Be sure to post photos for the jig in action on your next build.

Trike Lover
02-28-2011, 04:24 PM
What a great idea! Hope you don't mind if I borrow some of your ideas. I've been thinking about a welding jig setup, but this makes much more sense than what I had in mind. Thanks for sharing this idea :-) !

savarin
03-13-2011, 11:01 PM
awesome jig. Dont know how I missed this post firt time round.

imamedik
03-13-2011, 11:21 PM
awesome jig. Dont know how I missed this post firt time round.

Thanks Savarin, you can see it in action on this thread http://forum.atomiczombie.com/showthread.php?5159-A-Tomahawk-built-with-quot-MAJiC-quot

trikeman
06-22-2011, 09:23 PM
Love the jig imamedik. I am struggling with a small alignment problem on my Tomahawk build as we speak. Funny how these things grow as the frame gets longer.