PDA

View Full Version : First stab at that tricky joint ?

stormbird
02-22-2011, 06:52 PM
Hi all

Well I am as pleased as punch , this is my first stab at the tricky fish-mouth 90' tee with my cheap TIG Inverter Welder.

Bike tubes about 1.125 " diameter and because they are short I am able to look into the tubes and see the penetration , ok on the no fish-mouthed tub and a little lacking on the fish-mouthed tube [ afraid of burning through it ]

Whilst not the most visually pleasing weld it seems nice and strong with very little hole filling being required.

regards Paul

TheKid
02-22-2011, 11:42 PM
Looks good to me. Some grinding will make it look great.

combatwombat
02-23-2011, 05:27 AM
Nicely done! Good job. We have a tube notcher in our rally car workshop here, so can make all those sorts of joints for roll cages at any angle, and even make any tube diameter meet any other diameter (or at least those we have hole-saws for!)

Cheers - Rob

calcustom
02-23-2011, 07:01 AM
Looks good Paul.
I hope mine come out that good!

stormbird
02-24-2011, 01:18 AM
Looks good to me. Some grinding will make it look great.

TheKid probably not enough filler material for a grinder ? maybe a 120 grade flap disc :-)

Paul

stormbird
02-24-2011, 01:21 AM
We have a tube notcher in our rally car workshop here, so can make all those sorts of joints for roll cages at any angle, and even make any tube diameter meet any other diameter (or at least those we have hole-saws for!)
Cheers - Rob

Rob

I have a ebay notcher and a couple of hole saws , just need to get it set up , this one was done the true grinder/Zombie way.

Paul