PDA

View Full Version : poor man's dishing tool

schneidp20
02-05-2011, 12:44 AM
Lots of online videos on building wheels. I saw one guy with a plywood dishing tool all nicely varnished. Here is my crude version that I whipped up in a few minutes. I trued up the rim side edge on a table saw before making the cutout. It works just fine.

For the center bolt I just drilled an undersized hole and forced a bolt through it to thread it. There are doublers are glued on in the middle to reinforce the area where the bolt goes through.

John Lewis
02-05-2011, 04:41 AM
Neat.

I made one for a friend from perspex. Used plans from Roger Musson's book. It works beautifully as does the truing stand from the same source.
For myself when I wanted a quick one for a 20" wheel I cut the shape from corrugated cardboard and used a ruler for the pointer.

Your will last. Mine was a throw away.

schneidp20
02-08-2011, 12:18 AM
Re: cardboard. The ultimate in KISS, I love it!

Neat.

I made one for a friend from perspex. Used plans from Roger Musson's book. It works beautifully as does the truing stand from the same source.
For myself when I wanted a quick one for a 20" wheel I cut the shape from corrugated cardboard and used a ruler for the pointer.

Your will last. Mine was a throw away.

socialtalker
10-19-2011, 02:49 PM
i dont understand what a dishing tool does, ( i will google that), but tell me, do you have to make a dishing tool for each size of wheel? thanks

by the way, we dont need this for brad's diy hubless wheels, do we?

schneidp20
10-20-2011, 08:53 AM
All it does is allow you to center the rim on the hub (side-to-side). For the front weels on a tadpole trike, you probably could get by w/o dishing. For the rear wheel or a regular bike, it's important. The wheel will be off center w/o dishing. You may have clearance problems and/or problems with center pull breaks. THe wheel is also probably stronger when properly dished ... but that's just speculation

As for tool matching the wheel, if you make the dishing tool right, it can be used for multiple wheel sizes. Mine is sized so it will work with all my wheels.

i dont understand what a dishing tool does, ( i will google that), but tell me, do you have to make a dishing tool for each size of wheel? thanks

by the way, we dont need this for brad's diy hubless wheels, do we?

John Lewis
10-21-2011, 08:34 AM
Dished wheels have different length spokes each side. The cassette side on a rear wheel has shorter spokes. As has been said the dishing is to allow centering of the wheel.
If you are using disk brakes on the front wheels of a tadpole trike or bike the wheels will have to be dished for the same reason.

I usually cut a quick dish tool shape from cardboard and use a ruler at the centre. Pretty simple, cheap and does the job.
You just tighten the spokes and adjust back and forth until the distance from the centre of the tool to the cone nut is the same both sides.
John