PDA

View Full Version : Respirator

Pat Eaton
01-13-2011, 01:22 AM
What do you guys use to deal with welding fumes?

I have been practicing and getting better, but have a problem with the fumes. I suffer from asthma and find the fumes cause problems. I have just purchased a respirator with charcoal filters, but I am not sure this will be a good enough solution.

Thanks

Pat

Huggy2
01-13-2011, 10:07 AM
I've been having similar issues although I do not have asthma. I'm using MIG with Argon/CO2 gas shield. Fumes give me chest pain and irritated bronchilla area and cough. I'm using a mask with a charcoal filter. I bought a dust collector at Princess Auto. Removed the collector bag and installed a pickup hose at front end and a flex hose to outside. Hopefully this will suck out the fumes. Otherwise I think I'll have to open all the doors unless it's -15C like it is today or wait until it warms outside.
Maybe a stationary fan would help but too much breeze affects the gas shield over weld area.
I checked at a welding store and all they could offer was the charcoal mask. I'd like to hear also from others.

amos
01-13-2011, 01:41 PM
If that doesn't work you could try reversing the dust collector to suck clean air from outside and blow it across your face (by cunning positioning of the pipe). Maybe in conjunction with some sort of extractor fan to remove the noxious fumes you might have some luck.

savarin
01-13-2011, 10:17 PM
build a welding table, build a collection hood over it, use a vacuum cleaner to suck the fumes out and expel them outside.
Even a small hood that can be positioned close the the welding seam similar to those used on soldering stations.