PDA

View Full Version : Greetin's from the "Live Free or Die" State

Boglesnurf
10-15-2010, 10:34 PM
Howdy, folks

I was delighted beyond words to find this superb DIY site for recumbents:cheesy:. I'm recently retired due to a spinal injury sustained at work (at only 57 years old:wheelchair:), and am in desperate need of an absorbing project. This is doubly great for me, as I WAS an avid rider for many years. As I grew older, I began experiencing trouble with my hands and arms going all 'pins & needles' on me after only a half-hour or so of riding, and now I can't ride a 'normal' bike at all... it's uncomfortable on a level (something we ain't got much of in these parts), and downright painful on the uphill:(. I tried a friend's recumbent and was amazed at the difference in the experience. Climbing hills was, if not actually fun, so much easier 'cuz you just brace against the seat and PUSH. Loved it, but when searching for more info, I was quite dismayed at the prices. Loosened up my search terms, and found the link to this site (the name caught my eye, and I just HAD to check it out.) Bought the plans for the Warrior right then and there. I'll be spending the dark Winter months measuring, cutting, cursing, re-measuring, re-cutting, welding, grinding, and grinning from ear to ear. Also spending a lot of time bringing coffee and donuts from Dunk's to the guys at the Transfer Station to 'bribe' my way into the metal pile to drag unsuspecting victims.... I mean, junked bikes, back to the shop for rendering. Hopefully, come Spring (and mud season, and blackfly season,) I'll be zipping around on my own Warrior. Among the loose ideas floating around in what passes for my mind :thinking2: are: juice brakes, generator (alternator?) built into the wheels/frame to charge up a lawn-mower battery for running onboard electronics (LED lighting, computer, compass, altimeter, inclinometer, etc), charge my cellphone, power my MP3 player..... I'm even looking at some of the more exotic drive-trains out there (planetary gearing, inclined-ball continuously-variable transmission, 'string-drive,' shaft-drive, others)

I've long been a technology-lover anyway, and this is a perfect excuse to meld many of my interests in one project. I was a field-service tech for an electric lift truck dealership in the Northeast for 27 years, and I'm well tooled-up for this. I'm also an amateur machinist, and have a Smithy 3-in-1 (lathe/mill/drill) with a 3-axis DRO I built from another site found on the web with all the attendent toys (4x6 metal bandsaw, Lincoln MIG welder, homemade alternator-based TIG welder (internet yet again), 4" angle grinder... all sitting idle due to injury/out of work/recent move to a smaller house (one good thing came of all this Workman's Comp mess... I own the place outright, no mortgage, and laughably low taxes. Sometimes it pays to lower your standards !!:jester:

I'll be snapping plenty o' pics for posting; maybe start a Blog on the build (I'm not too disciplined with such things, though....)

Never thought I'd be eager for Winter's approach!!

Regards to all,

Karl Harris
Bristol, NH
("Lakes Region", central NH)
USA

Sparticus06
10-15-2010, 10:50 PM
Welcome! Cant wait to see what you do. Glad to see there are so many here with the same enthusiasm to build stuff instead of buy it. It is going to be a fun ride for sure.

Odd Man Out
10-15-2010, 11:11 PM
Boglesnurf
Welcome home
We are here to help and to learn

IrvJamison
10-16-2010, 12:08 AM
Boglesnurk,
Welcome from another forced retiree (head, cervical, speech, low back, leg and balance problems but still have a pulse!). Sounds like you have the ultimate garage with all of the machinery to keep you busy this winter!
Irv

KoolKat
10-16-2010, 12:35 AM
Welcome to the AZ family! :sunny:

MarcusPHagen
10-16-2010, 12:58 AM
Karl, you sound like someone who has a very positive attitude. You've taken a situation that would discourage many people, and have made it into a chance to do something you love. Best of luck to you. I look forward to seeing your trike!

Marcus

Richie Rich
10-16-2010, 01:00 AM
Welcome, Karl...!!!

It's always nice to have another Yankee in the group.
There's a growing contingent of New Englanders here.

Looking forward to seeing your projects....and don't hesitate to ask any questions.
We're all here to help.

....Richie Rich....
(Near Boston, MA)

ken will
10-16-2010, 09:06 AM
Welcome aboard.

Have you considered replacing the front wheels with skate blades and taking your "Ice Warrior" out on Lake Winnipesaukee?

taytayou812
10-16-2010, 10:46 AM
Welcome aboard! The more the merrier! You will find a lot of great guys and terrific ideas here. Be sure to look thru the old posts and do searches for any question you have, you'll find half the time, the issues have already come up, and been solved. This is a great place to dig around and get some great ideas and a lot of answers too!
good luck Karl!

Boglesnurf
10-19-2010, 04:59 PM
Soooo cool... I could put one of those 'wicked' spiked wheels on the back ( better be really careful not to look UP though....). I LOVE it!!

Boglesnurf
10-19-2010, 05:33 PM
Thanks all for the replies; can't say I've ever signed onto any site that went quite so far to make one feel welcome!!

Oddman... "Welcome Home." That's just about how it feels, too!

Irv... I'm so sorry about your appalling list of woes; at least I've just got pain to deal with, and the POTENTIAL for more extensive damage (which I try not to dwell on). I think that this must be why I bought up all these tools at closeouts and yard sales for all these years, so I would have a proper "toybox" for my retirement!

KoolKat... Your avatar... is that TRINITY ?!!:evilgrin: I've been a mechanic all my life; it's nice to have an actual female of the opposite sex around; I find they frequently have a very different take on problems. Some of the most useful things I learned 'in the field' came from female techs or operators. I look forward to your input!

Marcus... Thanks for the kind words. I figure there's little to be gained by railing against things over which you have NO control, so might's well approach it from a different direction

HEY RICHIE! How's things around Bawstun?? (where "near"? I grew up in Lynn and Nahant, and spent lots of time hanging out in Winthrop and in Revere, and in the "Combat Zone" when skipping school! WICKED!!

Ken... Soooo cool... I could put one of those 'wicked' spiked wheels on the back ( better be really careful not to look UP though....OUCH, my poor little bald head!!!). I LOVE it!!

Hey Taylor... that's exactly what I'm hoping for! There's rarely a problem that hasn't been addressed by someone, somewhere, successfully. And 'do-it-yourselfers,' by their very nature, run into more problems than the average bear (we actually seek it out... what's WRONG with us??) :wacky:

EDIT: apparently I overstayed my edit of the prior reply; I went to add a small comment, and it turned into this bloated thing!