View Full Version : What rod for chrome molly?

10-09-2010, 01:39 PM
I would love to have a torch but that is not in the budget. So Arc looks like the most flexible but what rods would I use on chrome molly bike frames?

10-09-2010, 09:42 PM
There are special rods for chromoly but for bike hacking 6013 or 7014 work just as well. I get the 1/16" 7014 rods at Harbor Freight...I find them easier to use than 6013. You might consider geting a little propane torch like a Bernz-O-Matic to heat treat the area surrounding the welds to relieve stress.

10-12-2010, 11:46 PM
I've been told by a fairly reliable source that 316L, which is a stainless rod can be used pretty reliably for chromoly. I've been told they build airplanes in Mexico using AC arc welders and 316L stainless electrodes. Hope this helps.

John Lewis
10-13-2010, 09:13 AM
I had some minor airframe repairs done a few years back and the CroMo was TIG welded with stainless as the filler. They had CroMo rod too but it was a bit heavy a gauge for my job apparently.

John Lewis