PDA

View Full Version : Degrease?

twilliamson
09-27-2010, 10:05 AM
Picked up my bulk steel order this weekend. The tubing is literally dripping with protective oil/grease coating. Back on the family farm, I never remember having this issue. We usually left steel in an outdoor storage rack and nature took care of any coatings after a season or two out in the weather. As I would rather not wait half a year:

What is the best/recommended way to remove the coating before beginning cutting/welding? Detergent and a scrub brush? Commercial degreaser and a pressure washer? Other ideas?

badcheese
09-27-2010, 05:32 PM
I usually just wipe it down with a dry rag before building. That leaves a trace of oil to inhibit rust, but makes the surface clean enough so it's not messy and doesn't slip when you're trying to handle it. The small amount of oil will burn off when you weld, so it's no problem.

The only time it needs to be really free of oil is when you paint it. Acetone works well for that. If you want something less harsh, you can wash it with a biodegradable degreaser like Purple Power or Simple Green, then rinse and dry thoroughly.

imamedik
09-27-2010, 05:50 PM
Just take it to your local DYI carwash, spray it down with the engine de-greaser, wait a couple of minutes then wash and rinse. :jester: it should be dry by the time you get home. :sunny: