View Full Version : It's a Roller!

Rexer
08-23-2010, 11:09 PM
Made some progress last weekend
Had a bunch of disc adapters,1468
so I made a jig.1467

Rexer
08-23-2010, 11:15 PM
The wheels were fun to make. first one tok about 2 hours, second went quicker. All tightened and trued.

Wingman
08-24-2010, 09:40 AM
Rexer,

Great job so far. Love the disc adapter jig. Did you machine your own threaded free-wheel adapters? I'll be following your build. I rode a side by side bent at a recent function and found I really liked it, so I'm thinking the KK may be a future project.

Wingman

Rexer
08-24-2010, 10:08 AM
I got a friend who is a machinist. A $30 chunk of cold rolled round and a bottle of Johnny Walker Black label got me 12 adapters. Today I hope to get the steering finished and maybe the adjustable bb's.

Radical Brad
08-24-2010, 11:31 AM
Nice work!

Brad

taytayou812
08-24-2010, 07:25 PM
Nice work, looks like a real nice start you got there.
If those adapters are set up for the gear set to thread on
and drilled for brake rotors, your friend could have a nice
little business going if he wanted to turn some out.
I've paid any where between 15.00 and 20.00 per unit on
the ones I've found and then still had to drill them out to
fit my 3/4 axle. (I've found 5/8 or 15mm at several bike
stores online.) If you and he are interested let us know.
I'd take 4 or 5 at least for a 3/4 axle. Just a thought.
Keep up the good work too!

Rexer
08-25-2010, 08:15 AM
I told him that he could probably sell the adapters. He doesn't plan on doing so anytime soon. He leaves for Iraq in three weeks, so he'll be away for awhile. Thats why I got so many, I'd have to wait for them myself.

taytayou812
08-25-2010, 02:27 PM
Best of luck to him. Hope all goes well for him.

SirJoey
08-27-2010, 10:48 AM
Hope he held off on the JWB till AFTER the job was done... :laugh3:

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/7131/sirjoeysigmedij1.gif
(Geezer & Bent Enthusiast At Large)

Rexer
03-24-2011, 08:07 PM
Well, after taking the winter off, (started school and it just got too cold)I picked up where I left off. Its spring break now and I've had a week to work on the Kyoto. All I have left is the handle bars, cabling and paint.
I have to redo the right side support. I placed it on the wrong side of the line and they are offset at the top
Props to Imamedic for the cutting board chain supports
Tired to make the passenger seat a little more comfortable by adding some denser foam between the camping pad layers. We'll see if it pans out.

Rexer
03-24-2011, 08:23 PM
Made some stuff in class.
A brake doubler
A drill guide for axle holes and a jig to drill axle bushings. The drill guide goes up against the pillow block and the bushing jig locates the hole the same distance from the pillow block as the guide.

I also made a fixture for the vertical mill that holds stuff on a 3/4" shaft so iI can use the bolt circle feature on the digital readout. Which is a really cool and accurate way of making equally space holes. I'll be making a dozen or so hub flanges when I go back to school.

Hopefully saturday I'll go for a test ride. Woo hoo!

imamedik
03-24-2011, 10:17 PM
Tired to make the passenger seat a little more comfortable by adding some denser foam between the camping pad layers. We'll see if it pans out.

Rexer, I found that using a yoga mat as the top layer gives the seat a gel seat feel. I first used it on my Meridian http://forum.atomiczombie.com/showthread.php?4228-Bike-build-3 explained in post #24 (the 1/4" plywood is not necessary, I just used it to give the seat more shape). I liked it so much I used it on three other bike; my rear suspension Highroller, my DeltaWolf, and my current build the Tomahawk. The Highroller and Meridian are in the LWB Bents gallery- 2nd row, pictures 4 and 5.

SirJoey
03-25-2011, 06:54 AM
Man, I remember when I FINALLY finished mine. Even though it took me 11
months, & at a cost of $800, I was totally stoked about wrappin' it up!

Unfortunately, that was 2 years & 4 months ago, & I STILL don't have anybody to ride it with,
so it's STILL parked in the barn, collecting dust, having been ridden all of about 1 mile! :(

*** The **** Is My Shepherd! ***

Rexer
03-26-2011, 09:58 PM
Test ride complete! That was so cool! I rode it solo out thee garage and out the alley to get to the front of the house. At the end of the alley I discovered that I didn't thread the pedals all the way in. Picked up the pedal and went back for my pedal wrench and tightned them all. Only lost 2 threads out of the aluminium crank arm. went to the front of the house and picked up the wife. We went about a mile. everything worked ok. The brakes are kinda weak. Need to adjust them and maybe get a different lever. Not much throw on the one I used. Could get the pilots deraulier to pickup the last gear. wrong shifter I think. couldn't figure out how to get the grip shifters apart.

It rode great tho. First corner I took was weird feeling.

SirJoey
03-27-2011, 10:37 PM
Sounds great! Can't wait for some pics! :)

BTW, how far is Helena from Glasgow? I lived in Glasgow, off & on throughout my high-school years.
Big Sky Country! COLD Winters! I remember that much!

I also remember NO SPEED LIMIT on open highway during the day, but that was in the early 70s.
It was 55 at night, but daytime speed limit was "Safe & Prudent", as the signs said!
Cops wouldn't bother ya, unless U were doing over 100! I guess they figured that wasn't "Safe & Prudent"! :laugh3:

The **** Is My Shepherd!

Rexer
03-28-2011, 10:49 AM
Glasgow is about 300 miles from Helena. There is a speed limit of 75 hwy/ 70 2 lane now. And no more $5 "waste of resources" speeding tickets. Get stopped by the Hi-Po and it'll run you about $100.

We tried the reasonable and prudent limit again in the late 90's. It only lasted a little while. Too many court battles over the tickets that were issued. Usually any triple digit speed got you a night in the crossbar hotel along with a vehicle impound. But not always. On a interstate in the sparsely populated areas with a higher end auto/proper rating on tires, and passing others at no more than 10MPH difference, you might have been able to get away with 130, depending on road/weather conditions. I only know one person that did and lots of others that didn't.
We also had an increase in the hwy death rate during that time. Smacking a deer at 70 is bad, smack one at 100 or over, you probably won't live to tell about it.

Rexer
04-09-2011, 03:15 PM
Got Avid FR1 levers and Jaguar cables and now I can lock the rear wheels with me on it. Have to wait for tomorrow to test it with a passenger. But it stops real good now.