PDA

View Full Version : Durafix for welding aluminum

kentdvm
07-22-2010, 10:05 AM
Has anyone used Durafix rods for welding aluminum with a torch? www.durafix.com Basically it allows you to braze any nonmagnetic metal with just a MAP torch. Looks very strong and pretty straightforward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNagAcUY508

Odd Man Out
07-22-2010, 10:41 AM
It has been covered in the forum before. The subject keeps resurfacing from time to time because it seems too good to be true.... Now that should give you a hint. If it did work as advertised it would be much more well known and utilised. The consensus is that it could be used for things that are in no way under any structural stress and should not be considered for the type welding needed for our type projects. Sorry to burst any hopes but hey, I've got a bridge to sell...

tree
07-22-2010, 11:18 AM
I found some aluminum brazing rods at the local hardware store. They're _supposed_ to be stronger than the aluminum, but who knows until you try...

Probably it would work decently well if the surfaces were rough enough for the filler metal to grip into and the fillets were large enough.

I have a cast aluminum rudder stock that needs fixing, but since I don't have the boat on the water yet, I haven't bothered to try it. The local welder quoted me WAY too much to fix it - $200 for 1" of weld.

kentdvm
07-22-2010, 05:36 PM
Thanks guys. Kinda what I thought. Searched for durafix but couldn't find a thread. Appreciate the feedback.
kb

savarin
07-22-2010, 11:26 PM
I have a cast aluminum rudder stock that needs fixing, but since I don't have the boat on the water yet, I haven't bothered to try it. The local welder quoted me WAY too much to fix it - $200 for 1" of weld.

Have you considered casting your own new one?
Its not that difficult.
Make 2 or more and take a spare with you.
http://forum.atomiczombie.com/showthread.php?t=3606
from message 11

velotux
07-23-2010, 01:30 PM
Hi Kentdvm.

I bought some just to give them a try. I agree with Oddmanout entirely. They are useless for our purposes here, and having had a go I am hard pushed to think of anything I would use them for at all. The flux burns off faster than the core if you can get a reliable arc in the first place, or as soon as you go get an arc the flux insulates the bare core so it is impossible to strike an arc again apart from frantic chipping action. All the guys at work had a go with them and every time the result was extra ordinarily nasty. Bird snot does not even come close to describing the result. It was horrible. The only nice thing about them was the arc is a pretty colour. Let us never speak of these nasty things again in this forum. I would not even trust the resulting weld to hold a safety reflector on my bike. Sorry to disappoint as I got exited about the idea to. As have many others.

Good luck with your build, and all the best.

Tim

kentdvm
07-23-2010, 09:54 PM
Thanks Tim. From henceforth, mum shall be the word. We shall not speak of it again. Onward and upward:)

tree
07-23-2010, 10:37 PM
ARC? What on earth do you mean?
The site says all over that they're brazing rods - brazing with a propane torch!
If you were trying to stick weld with them, that's probably why it didn't work. :\

Unless you were using some crazy flux-core welding rods, I don't think those durafix things are the same. Still probably crap though. :]

Savarin: Casting the part would be TOUGH. It's a large, complicated shape. It has two halves, inside of which pivots the rudder blade. I can't even envision how it could be cast, though it must have been done once to actually make it. :P

I think a better way would be to use two thick aluminum plates for the sides and weld together a new piece - it'd be stronger and look better to boot. You can buy them as well.

I thought I'd try the brazing first and see how it goes. If it breaks, the break isn't in a place where it would lose the rudder blade.

velotux
07-24-2010, 03:12 AM
Hi Tree.

Just to clarify the rods I tried were indeed crazy aly flux-core welding rods. I apologise. I got my wires crossed.

Cheers.

Tim