PDA

View Full Version : surging wire feed

recycled55
06-17-2010, 04:13 PM
Does anyone know why my flux core mig is surging the wire feed? When I am welding I can feel the wire pushing against my stock in a surge on & off feeling. It tries to push the handle away from the weld. I've tried holding it at different distances to see if that would make a difference but it doesn't. Would appreciate any ideas anyone has.
recycled55v

graucho
06-17-2010, 05:02 PM
I don't know if I'm saying it correctly... It sounds to me that your wire "feeder/tension wheel" is slipping, then
grabbing the wire while feeding. Sounds like what happened to mine when I switched to .035 wire. I went
back to .030 wire and reset the tension then everything was OK again. Open the cover.... then pull the trigger
and see what is happening when it's feeding.

ken will
06-17-2010, 06:46 PM
If the wire is staying solid long enough to push against the stock, the wire feed rate is to high or the power is to low.

fultondp
06-17-2010, 07:17 PM
Also check the spool is not binding up. If it has grinder dust built up inside it might not be turning freely. Like Graucho said, open the cover and pull the trigger to see what's going on inside.

--darren

Big Moe
06-17-2010, 10:54 PM
I agree with Ken on this one. But - if the reel is binding I wrote long ago to insert a wax paper disk behind the reel to keep the sicky label from hanging it up

PeterT
06-17-2010, 11:46 PM
First check if the tip is splattered with slag. Remove tip & squeeze trigger, if wire feeds properly, new tip needed
Second check if wire is catching in wire lining. Remove wire from liner and squeeze trigger, if wire feeds smoothly out of liner but not through liner, new liner needed.
Third check if feed wheel is clean and free from any dust/ grot. clean if needed & recheck wire feed.
Fourth check wire feed tension, squeeze trigger and adjust tesion till wire feeds smoothly.
Reassemble and check wire feed duing welding.

PeterT

tree
06-18-2010, 12:23 AM
I agree with Ken as well.

The only times I've had the wire 'push back' like you say are these: Too little power, wire feed rate too high, and dirty metal (didn't chip/brush off the slag, didn't grind the paint off, rusty, etc)

I also read in a pretty comprehensive 'how to weld' book I just bought that the 'stickout' (how much wire is between the tip and the work) matters quite a bit. Too little stickout and the work can get too hot, spatters and mucks up your tip. Too much stickout and your penetration suffers, and you get large bits of wire all over the place. It is kinda fun to watch a 4 inch bit of wire turn bright white and melt, just not onto your shoe. :P

Oh, I also managed to start my first small fire while welding... Tip: clean up the newspapers under your welding table, unless you're trying to cash your insurance policy...

graucho
06-18-2010, 12:47 AM
Great tips.... I also thought of the ground. If you have a poor ground you will get a sputtering
flash point where the wire isn't flashing/heating fast enough to keep up with the amount of wire being feed.

Or... the kids walked by and turned the feed dial up to 10. :jester:

jimFPU
06-18-2010, 08:45 AM
I thought of the ground also. I didn't have a good ground once and it caused this exact problem. Before tearing down the welder, check the simple stuff!!

recycled55
06-19-2010, 05:50 PM
First off thanks everyone for the ideas. I fired it up today and after checking everything for free smooth feed it appeared to be ok. I tightened the feed tension a bit and that took care of it. Laid down some beads and its lookin good. I think it was too loose and slipping. Again thanks all of you.
recycled55