PDA

View Full Version : Trampoline tubes suck.

wiredmilk
06-15-2010, 06:22 PM
Anyone had any good success using trampoline tubes to weld on your bike parts? I keep blowing through them instantly at the slowest wire speed and the minimum amps. WTF! Guess I have to go to the supply store.

Any suggestions on found steel that will work better?

Thanks

Radical Brad
06-15-2010, 06:28 PM
That tubing is probably similar to snap together lawn furniture as well as el-cheapo workout bench tubing and is definitely not strong enough for any kind of bike building. "Maybe" a trailer, but that's even pushing it.

Brad

wiredmilk
06-16-2010, 12:07 AM
I had some success tonight with my 90 am flux core welder. I had to like i said dial everything down, then if I got too hot and had a blow out, I just had to build it back. Kinda sucks, but I dropped the frame a few times... stood on it. Then jumped on it. I guess it'll hold my fat ass. lol.

keith9534
09-25-2010, 07:37 AM
Did anyone else try this stuff?

Trampolines hit the big time a year ago here and like all things went back out of fashion as soon as everyone realised they would either get broken kids or a patch of grass where nothing would ever grow again:

Upshot is that the scrap yards where I live are full of frames.

Tubing is about 1 1/2" diameter...wall thickness is about 1/8" ( slightly thicker 2.5mm )

Loads of ready made bends in it ( thinking of a trike frame in two pieces like this ~ )

Most likely over engineer it and weld two tubes side by side

Anyone?

Autonomous
09-25-2010, 04:46 PM
Wiredmilk I made my trike from an old deck swing bought from Zellers years ago and when I first started I burned through every now and then and back filled it as you say. Now I seldom if ever burn through the same stuff. Oh and also if you slow the wire speed down to much all you're doing is creating an arch that will burn through your metal. You need that wire feeding to fill the arch. When I want to get some penetration I (like when I welded 3/8 and 1/8 together for axle tabs) I turn down the speed and crank the heat as high as it will go.

Anyway the stuff I used is 16 gauge oval steel but it worked out great for me. Perhaps you could check the junkyard or peoples back yards for old deck swings. They come in all shapes & sizes, the steel could be round, oval, square or rectangluar. I can't promise you what you find will be the bomb but I had my trike out for another run today with no mesh on the seat I was sitting right on the middle of the frame. I was doing a pretty good clip in high gear with no brakes or shifters when I pulled off the road onto a bumpy lawn several times and never bent the frame. And I mean BUMBY! Up the road at my eldest brothers lighthouse near some of the cottages I hit potholes, hills and deep tire depressions, you know the kind with grass growing on either side. Like I said I was sitting right on the frame so my weight wasn't distributed at all, the whole 180lbs was setting in the center. I greased up two pairs of new jeans on two rides and pretty near tore the pocket off on the idler wheel today! I should have ordered a 10 tooth idler for this tight spot but just ground the sides off the 13 tooth I had instead which will be fine when the seats done and I'm not sitting on top of it anymore. LOL
Good luck with hunt for steel I hope this helps somewhat.

Autonomous
09-25-2010, 05:06 PM
keith I haven't used it but it sounds like the BOMB! 1/8" thick? Is it as heavy as 1/8" round or sq. steel or is it much lighter? If so that might imply it was a weaker steel. Perhaps someone else would know better then I. All those ready made bends would be sweet though. I made my seat out of an old swivel leather recliner and used a couple pieces of the round base as seat supports where it's welded to the frame. They're the black pieces at the back in my pictures. I was pretty confident the oval steel would support me fine but I agonized over what to make the seat and seat base out of. I read post and web pages about them being made out of conduit pipe and was worried to death it wouldn't support me.
Savarin said it supported him fine and heavier then me but in the end I made my seat out of heavier steel then conduit. I was kinda nervous about making handlebars out of it too but everyone who has say it works fine. I'd like a new set so maybe I'll try it if I buy a pipe bender.

keith9534
09-25-2010, 05:11 PM
I think I`m going to try to bend a piece by standing on it while each end is held up....not exactly scientific but if it doesn`t bend it should be ok

Autonomous
09-25-2010, 05:20 PM
http://www.metalsdepot.com/products/hrsteel2.phtml?page=sqtube&LimAcc=$LimAcc
That's some clear thinking there Keith! LOL I guess you won't have to take it to a lab for a tensile strength test after all. LOL I guess that's kinda what it sounded like I was suggesting.
Your way sound easier. LOL I just wouldn't want to see a trike fold up after someone puts so much work into it. I'm not sure where either of you are from but if you're in the States you should be able to get the square steel brad uses easy. I can give a at least on link in a minute here.

There! I got the link in that time! I guess you have to use insert link tab.

pcorbett
09-25-2010, 09:15 PM
I used a section of the trampoline tube for my HammerHead Trike as a single tube for the front end. It wasn't to bad to weld and it has held up fine in a bike I use to carry the dog for a ride and walk nearly every day during riding season.

Pete

keith9534
09-26-2010, 05:22 AM
Sorry...I thought my location was being shown...hopefully its there now?

I am in the Uk and getting new materials is a nightmare!!

All the steel is made in the North ( whats left of it anyway ) and its Island mentality that we can`t seem to get it to anywhere else!!!!

I see your point about not wanting it to fold up and feel the same, but its a bit of "needs must" and theres plenty of it to use

Autonomous
09-26-2010, 07:47 AM
Good to meet you Keith. pcrobett says he used it and if you did the stand/bounce test successfully I guess you're good to go. I was cautious because I never thought that stuff looked very strong. You should have seen how a welding shop owner friend of mine smiled and rolled his eyes when I told him I was making mine out of an old swing set. LOL
When it's done and painted I'm going to visit at break time, getting him and a few of his men outside and pulling it out of the trunk and assembling it right in front of them. I think the smile will be bigger and there will be no rolling of the eyes. At least I hope so. LOL

stormbird
09-26-2010, 01:36 PM
Sorry...I thought my location was being shown...hopefully its there now?

I am in the Uk and getting new materials is a nightmare!!

All the steel is made in the North ( whats left of it anyway ) and its Island mentality that we can`t seem to get it to anywhere else!!!!

I see your point about not wanting it to fold up and feel the same, but its a bit of "needs must" and theres plenty of it to use

Keith

Also in the UK , have you tried going to anyone local who makes gates and railings ?

I took along some of the AZ plans to show them I was not doing them out of any trade and a shopping list and they added the steel I wanted to their next order and I only had to wait a few days.

regards Paul

pcorbett
09-26-2010, 07:29 PM
Good to meet you Keith. pcrobett says he used it and if you did the stand/bounce test successfully I guess you're good to go. I was cautious because I never thought that stuff looked very strong. You should have seen how a welding shop owner friend of mine smiled and rolled his eyes when I told him I was making mine out of an old swing set. LOL
When it's done and painted I'm going to visit at break time, getting him and a few of his men outside and pulling it out of the trunk and assembling it right in front of them. I think the smile will be bigger and there will be no rolling of the eyes. At least I hope so. LOL

I forgotten to add that the walls were on the thicker side. Sometimes this trampoline tubing is thinner walled. I do find tubes that are garbage and I get rid of it, you don't need it hanging about. Also If your in question of the quailty you can always test weld a bit of it before you spend your time fitting to your project.

pcorbett

keith9534
09-27-2010, 02:56 PM
Look what 5 buys you off Ebay

Its a 12ft frame...brand new and un-used!

The steel is 1/16" thick

Fingers crossed

Autonomous
09-27-2010, 06:35 PM
Well the price is right, now let's see what you can do with it. :cyclist: