PDA

View Full Version : Whadda ya mean, this is illegal?

imamedik
06-12-2010, 07:45 PM
I found out after I built this that it is illegal in the state of Georgia. SWMBO hid the camera so I didn't get to take pictures of the build. :(

*** GEORGIA CODE SECTION *** 10/14/96
40-6-296.

40-6-290 G

(d) No bicycle shall be equipped, modified, or altered in such a way as to cause the pedal in its lowermost position to be more than 12 inches above the ground, nor shall any bicycle be operated if so equipped.

tree
06-12-2010, 07:56 PM
Wha, wha WHA??

You folks in Georgia are pretty weird to have come up with a law like that.

It might be leftover from the days of penny farthings. Some laws were apparently passed to restrict their use after the 'safeties' became the norm. I guess no tallbike road trips to Georgia then. *rolls eyes*

How did you find out about this? Was someone prosecuted for it?

eilismaura
06-12-2010, 07:56 PM
DAMN !!! That is such bad luck!

Radical Brad
06-12-2010, 08:08 PM
Stupid laws just urk me to no end! Find away around it!!!!

Add a useless pedal under the frame, then it will confuse the definition, unless it implicitly states that they are in fact referring to the master drive pedal whereas aforementioned pedal orbits the central axle to motivate the rear wheel via the master drive chain.

Laws like that are made by absolute idiots that should not have passed law school let alone grade school, so it should be easy to daze and confuse them.

Brad

imamedik
06-12-2010, 08:28 PM
How did you find out about this? Was someone prosecuted for it?

SWMBO was checking helmet laws for my daughter and came across it :(

locolarry
06-12-2010, 08:45 PM
Hmmmm...Must be a lot of Outlaws in Georgia...seeing as how they have Recumbent clubs all over Atlanta..
Loco:*****:

PeterT
06-12-2010, 08:47 PM
As ugly as it would look, and as ugly as the law is, why don't you mount a pedal that fits the legal requirements to the outside of you chain idler, so it "looks like it " works

Otherwise start a petition to get the stupid ass law changed

PeterT

ps sweet ride

I would ride and see what response you get, not all Officer Friendly are well versed in bicycle laws and the modifiactions done to bike, and they may pull you over to ask how it was made, and if they could have a ride :jester:

darwin-t
06-12-2010, 09:23 PM
SWMBO (

Some Woman My Buddy Owns?

MarcusPHagen
06-12-2010, 10:26 PM
Originally from a book by H. Rider Haggard ("She"), and later used by Rumpole of the Bailey.

Marcus

imamedik
06-12-2010, 10:45 PM
Actually, I am going to use it and the warrior for parts for the following builds: :jester:

the seat and handlebars/gooseneck from highroller and the bottom bracket from the warrior for the meridian I am building.

I am going to build another warrior out of round tubing and use the bottom bracket from the highroller for it.

Finally I am going to cut the Highroller behind the head tube and use the back end for a suspension trike.

This should feed my building addiction for a while :punk::punk:

imamedik
06-12-2010, 10:48 PM
Some Woman My Buddy Owns?

SWMBO- She Who Must Be Obeyed, or so she says :jester::jester::jester:

Richie Rich
06-12-2010, 11:54 PM
I found out after I built this that it is illegal in the state of Georgia. :(I would suspect that there are very few 'Keepers of the Peace' in Georgia who know that such a law exists. As a scofflaw from way back, I'd just ride it until someone in an Official capacity tells me differently. The fact that SWMBO came across it accidentally, tells me that it's an insignificant law and not worthy of prosecution.

But that's just me....someone who resides in a State with some very obscure and unenforcable Puritanical 'Blue Laws' still on the books.

....Richie....

Odd Man Out
06-13-2010, 12:25 AM
Being an outlaw myself from the wild wild west, I must agree with the wise Richie Rich; Ride it like you stole it!!!

imamedik
06-13-2010, 08:11 AM
Being an outlaw myself from the wild wild west, I must agree with the wise Richie Rich; Ride it like you stole it!!!

Actually I do :scooter::jester::scooter:

TheKid
06-13-2010, 12:16 PM
I agree it may be an old law from the penny farthing days. Just ride the damn bike. Motorized bikes are illegal here in NY, but I ride mine anyway. I keep a copy of a law that describes "mobility assistance devices" in case I do get stopped. When I had the Currie motor, it made a lot of noise and I did get stopped once, but the cop just looked at the trike, said "nice ride" and got back in his car.

Racer46
06-13-2010, 04:48 PM
It might be an old law from the Penny Farthing days or it could be a newer law to discourage tall bikes. In any case you might want to contact Bacchetta to let them know that most of the bikes they sell in Georgia are illegal then let their lawyers do something about it.

MarcusPHagen
06-14-2010, 12:02 AM
In any case you might want to contact Bacchetta to let them know that most of the bikes they sell in Georgia are illegal then let their lawyers do something about it.

Good point - deeper pockets.

Marcus