PDA

View Full Version : Speedway welder

ratcycle
05-06-2008, 06:24 PM
Does anyone in this thread own a speedway welder? I am having one hell of time with the company. First the rooler don't flip and know they got my order screwed up. I am thinking about buying another welder but i don't want to deal with idiots over the phone. can some tell me what kind of welder would be the best buy.

n9viw
05-07-2008, 02:02 PM
Oh boy, here we go...
http://hazel8500.wordpress.com/files/2008/01/can-o-worms.gif
:lol:

All things considered, you're best to go with a domestic product (Miller/Lincoln/Hobart). Clarke and HTP are made in Spain, I couldn't find any info on Speedway but they're likely made in China, like Northern Tool and Harbor Freight products. When (not if) something breaks, you'll have to go back to the original seller for parts and service. If you have a Miller, Hobart, or Lincoln, you can go to ANY welding shop that supports the Blue or the Red, and get any part you need.

That said, I've just been reading up on the Hobart 125EZ, and there's nothing but rave reviews for it (except welding sheetmetal, seems the line speed is too fast). Someone here (Kid?) just ordered one, and will be happy to give some real-world reviews once it gets hooked up and run.

TheKid
05-07-2008, 02:33 PM
It hasn't arrived yet.

SirJoey
05-07-2008, 03:55 PM
I have the Hobart Handler 135. Seperate wire speed control, 4 heat settings, & gas. I like it pretty well, now that I can almost use it. :o

(I have learned much, but I am not yet a Jedi...)

BTW, welcome to the Krew, Ratcycle!

TheKid
05-07-2008, 05:12 PM
Maybe I should cancel my order and get the 125. I believe it was about the same price.

trikeman
05-07-2008, 06:00 PM
Kid. The 125EZ is really for those that know they never want to use gas with it, and don't mind not being able to fine tune it. Some new welders find the fine tuning to be a bother. Hopefully you won't find its 16 ga setting too hot for what we do. I think you could probably get a Hobart 140 off craigslist for about $300, if you don't mind being patient.

TheKid
05-07-2008, 06:54 PM
Nah. I'll stick with the EZ. I'll never use gas because I only weld outdoors. I'm also lazy, so the less I have to fiddle with something, the better I like it. My current flux core, for instance, has only 2 settings, and it only works well on one of them. The speed is adjustable, but I generally keep it at the same speed to coincide with my style of welding. My neighbor the welder says that the EZ is 100 times better than what I have, and for my level of welding, and the projects I work on, it should work out well.

ratcycle
05-07-2008, 07:05 PM
Thanks guys that helps a whole lot.

gbbwolf
05-09-2008, 05:23 PM
Homier tools sells that speedway 125 for $99.00
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Speedway-125-Amp-Single-Phase-Flux-Welder-07117_W0QQitemZ350056056917QQihZ022QQcategoryZ1137 43QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Seeing how homier is in huntington 20 miles from my house I get a lot of stuff from them.

TheKid
05-09-2008, 08:12 PM
Everything I bought from Homier broke. Grinder, chop saw, auto-darkening helmet. ( that was just recently. It stopped darkening, even after replacing the battery)
I just found out that the face plate on most of the cheap flux core welders are the same. The switches and speed dial are the same also. The guts are different on some models, the cheapest ones use the lowest quality parts. That's why you may find one manufacturer that makes 2 or more welders with the same specs for different prices.