PDA

View Full Version : My Warrior jig

darwin-t
05-25-2010, 07:58 PM
I modified the jig I made for my first bent to use it to build my Warrior trike.

Today I added to it for the steering tubes. At first I built it to hold the front wheels in the proper place, but couldn't clamp the tires tightly enough to secure them. So I adapted the jig to hold the axles in just the right place. This make it pretty easy to do the cuts on the steering tube. I did the cuts on one boom, ground it down to fit and tack welded it in place in about 40 minutes.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/darwin-t/jig25.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/darwin-t/jig24.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/darwin-t/jig21.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/darwin-t/jig26.jpg

Bodhi
05-26-2010, 12:58 PM
Thanks for posting the jig. Its always interesting to see how other Zombies are constructing jigs.:rockon:

eilismaura
05-26-2010, 01:43 PM
Thanks for posting the jig. Its always interesting to see how other Zombies are constructing jigs.:rockon:

and great for the newbies/wannabes

THANKS!

Ferrina
05-26-2010, 03:42 PM
All those complicated angles gives me the creeps! I's love to build a trike, but need a really tough frame, possibly front suspension as well. Good job! :oD

taytayou812
05-26-2010, 06:36 PM
Thank you for the photos too!
I made something similar to the center part of your jig. We're using it to build my nephews Overkill chopper.
Now that I see yours I think I'm gonna expand on the one I have and incorporate some of your ideas.
It looks like it would work for several of the bikes I want to build.
I have found that wood is easier than steel for quick jigs, you just have to watch for long boards that tend to be warped, and when welding, keep some water close by, for flare ups.
-Taylor-

PaulPb
10-16-2010, 06:24 AM
Do you have any 'detailed' instructions for someone like me who has never built a jig before?

I built a few frames - just by using the best guess method (which is not good enough for me)

My first frame was something similar to the warrior - I discovered later that I would need to modify parts of the frame (especially the seat area) for it to be more comfortable - also to get more force behind my pedaling .......

any advice on building a jig?

regards; Paul?

taytayou812
10-16-2010, 10:59 AM
Personally, I like to use old water bed side rails. They are usually 2x8's and pretty straight. Then screw or bolt on whatever braces or stands I need to hold whatever at the time I'm working on. Sorry, kind of generalizing but looking at Darwin-t's photos, you'll get the idea.

schu777
11-29-2010, 04:16 PM
Nice jig...

Only thing about using 2x4's is warping/twisting of them. IF one wants to build a jig that isn't prone to it, at Menards (local box store) has a laminated beam (can't remember specifically the actual name) but it is strong and wouldn't warp/twist. It starts with an "L" and is three letter abbreviation...

I like the idea of building a wood jig to handle all the angles and such - makes life a bit easier with matching the pieces together.

Michael

jdmartin
11-29-2010, 06:29 PM
Michael,

what you are referring to is an LVL beam, which is Laminated Veneer Lumber, and is EXTREMELY strong and straight...it's used for construction headers in homes......and yes, Menard's does carry them.

Jim

Nice jig...

Only thing about using 2x4's is warping/twisting of them. IF one wants to build a jig that isn't prone to it, at Menards (local box store) has a laminated beam (can't remember specifically the actual name) but it is strong and wouldn't warp/twist. It starts with an "L" and is three letter abbreviation...

I like the idea of building a wood jig to handle all the angles and such - makes life a bit easier with matching the pieces together.

Michael

taytayou812
11-29-2010, 08:37 PM
I've used them in a couple of additions. They are very heavy too. Almost impossible to warp, but heavy and a little expensive compared to regular lumber. Best bet on those is hook up with a builder and see if he has any pieces left over from a job. Most guys throw the 2-3 foot pieces away. Good idea though.