PDA

View Full Version : sanity check

sp2009
05-01-2010, 09:59 AM
I would like to build a Kyoto Cruiser this summer.

Here are my current thoughts/plans:

1. The steel supplier that I have used in the past doesn't stock the 16 gauge tube, but they do have 1-1/2 x 0.083. My wife and I have a combined weight of 275lbs at the moment. Should I find someone that carries the 16 gauge rather than using the heavier material?

2. I think that fabricating the hubs/wheels from scratch is beyond my ability to complete accurately and within a reasonable time frame. There are 15mm axle trike hubs at Choppersrus. Can I get away with using 15mm axles and bearings on my cruiser? Are these hubs designed to be attached to a straight axle, or would I need to fabricate something else to attach the hubs?

3. If I can use a 15mm axle, what would be the drawbacks to using an off-the-shelf 15mm freewheel adapter rather than having something custom machined?

Any input would be welcome before I spend some $$ on parts!

PeterT
05-01-2010, 06:59 PM
I would like to build a Kyoto Cruiser this summer.

Here are my current thoughts/plans:

1. The steel supplier that I have used in the past doesn't stock the 16 gauge tube, but they do have 1-1/2 x 0.083. My wife and I have a combined weight of 275lbs at the moment. Should I find someone that carries the 16 gauge rather than using the heavier material?

If you can't find a steel merchant that stocks the 16 gauge, then you can always use the heavier guage and drill holes along the entire length of your beam. e.g. If you are using 40x40mm then drill 20mm holes through the top and bottom, with a minimum of 10mm between holes, and then rotate the beam 90deg, and line up your hole centre in the middle of the metal between the holes on the top surfaces.

2. I think that fabricating the hubs/wheels from scratch is beyond my ability to complete accurately and within a reasonable time frame. There are 15mm axle trike hubs at Choppersrus. Can I get away with using 15mm axles and bearings on my cruiser? Are these hubs designed to be attached to a straight axle, or would I need to fabricate something else to attach the hubs?

I took on the challenge of building my own wheels, and now I have other people asking me to make their wheels for them, the first ones are the hardest! And I build them on hubs and on shafts.

3. If I can use a 15mm axle, what would be the drawbacks to using an off-the-shelf 15mm freewheel adapter rather than having something custom machined?

Any input would be welcome before I spend some $$ on parts!

PeterT