PDA

View Full Version : only tall people can reach the pedals

bustoff
04-24-2010, 06:07 PM
Hello. I recently started a spin cycle. A friend of mine saw the plans and threw together a spin cycle in 2 days. Needless to say, it is not the best quality.

I am 5'9" and the pedal reach on my friends bike is several inches too long for me. I have been working slowly and carefully, trying to follow instructions, and if you look at the picture you can see that the reach from the pedal to the down tube will be 36" if I cut the down tube at the top of the white piece of paper. That is way too long for me, and I would like for kids to be able to use this machine.

So far, I've only made tack welds, so changes can be made.

Anyone run into this situation, and if so, how do you fix it?

bustoff
04-24-2010, 07:41 PM
After reading other threads I see that others have experienced this problem.

Any suggestions on how to fix it?

Racer46
04-24-2010, 08:56 PM
I haven't built the bike but I do have the Evil Genius book with the plans in it. It looks like Brad started with a donor that has much shorter chain stays than you have. If you can't find a bike with shorter chain stays you could cut the ones you have down. Move the bottom bracket as close to the tire as possible.

bustoff
04-24-2010, 11:28 PM
I haven't built the bike but I do have the Evil Genius book with the plans in it. It looks like Brad started with a donor that has much shorter chain stays than you have. If you can't find a bike with shorter chain stays you could cut the ones you have down. Move the bottom bracket as close to the tire as possible.

I think I could gain an inch by shortening the chain stays at the axle end. That would still leave me with a 35" reach. I wonder what kind of bike was used on the original design. I thought the one I used was small. It is a 20" girls Huffy bike.

When I look at some of the pics that come with the plans it looks like the chain ring is very close to the tire. I wonder how this was accomplished. I can't shorten the chain stays at the bb end (well maybe an inch) because then the chainring would hit the chain stay.

Is it possible to get in touch with Brad and ask him about this?

Radical Brad
04-25-2010, 02:13 AM
The stays in your photo do look seriously long for a 20" frame. maybe they just used 24" stays to save $$$ and added the small center tube. Looks to me like a good 6" can be taken out.

On a "normal" frame, the chain-ring will be right at the tire or even overlap a bit.

Have a look at some of the other SpinCycles in the gallery...

http://www.atomiczombie.com/gallery/funrides1.html

I have a 30" inseam and can easily reach on all of the ones I have built.
You could always go to a 16" wheel as well.

Brad

bustoff
04-25-2010, 08:31 AM
No problem, I think you can hack those stays back to "normal". They really are an odd set though, not sure what the manufacturer was trying to do there. Did you build from the book or the plans?

Brad

Racer46
04-25-2010, 12:04 PM
No problem, I think you can hack those stays back to "normal". They really are an odd set though, not sure what the manufacturer was trying to do there. Did you build from the book or the plans?

Brad

Umm, He wrote the plans.:rockon:

Radical Brad
04-25-2010, 01:50 PM
Hmmm odd!

That last post was actually from me, but somehow ended up as "bustoff".

Brad

bustoff
04-25-2010, 05:48 PM
I am building from the plans.

I could probably shorten up that frame by a few inches, but before that I'm going to look for a better frame to use. I'm thinking a bmx frame may work better.

bustoff
04-29-2010, 10:41 PM
Well, I got a BMX frame and started over. I've been able to reuse the pieces of square tubing that I had cut, so it hasn't been too much of a set-back. I've actually made some good progress in the last few days. Tomorrow I'm taking my camera to work so I should be able to post some pics. I'm becoming obsessed with this thing:goofy:.
This is an excellent way to keep your welding and metalworking skills sharp.