PDA

View Full Version : Spincycle Geometry

goofymf
04-18-2010, 02:45 PM
My 1st ride on my new spincycle prompted some geometry questions:

1) Is it possible to flip? My SC has a rear wheel width of about 24" and the seat is only ~ 6" off the ground. I haven't flipped it, but if I turn in the direction of the spin, it feels like there is flip potential.

2) How does the distance between the back of the seat and the rear wheels affect handling?
My SC appears to have a greater distance than Brad's SC. I would guess this would make it slightly harder to spin, is so? How would this affect flip potential?

Happy Spinning

Radical Brad
04-18-2010, 04:34 PM
With a SpinCycle from plans, it is impossible to flip unless you hit a hole or jam the caster against something. Yes, sitting too far ahead of the rear T-bar will make 360's almost impossible and will lower your roll center, making a flip easier.

A picture would give me a clear idea.

Brad

goofymf
06-22-2010, 10:49 PM
Brad,

Moving the rear wheels closer to the seat did the trick; very stable now. Thanks so much for your help. I made the bottom tube of my SC telescoping to allow it to be adjusted for different size riders. How would you anticipate moving the front wheel out further from the seat to affect handling?

Radical Brad
06-23-2010, 11:41 AM
No prob, hope the 360s are easy now.
The longer the points between wheels, the less chance of a good 360.

To do those stunts I did in the video, you almost have to lift the front wheel while it skids around the full circle so you don't slow down much. That's why being over the rear T or close to it is best.

Brad