PDA

View Full Version : The metal is in...the beginning is near

mydriatic
04-13-2010, 10:58 PM
I finally got my metal today. I've given up on the Warrior due to time. I'll be focusing my time with the Highroller, last years project that never began. First I have to clean up this area in my garage so it doesn't catch on fire (2nd pic). I also have place to work for $20 x 3 hours at an art studio where I took my welding class. The 1st pic is of my Warrior rear fork that's already starting to show some oxidation. I hope to go with a 26/20 configuration. I also like Comriech's front suspension. One question I have: Is understeering an option worth considering, or an option of headaches?

Odd Man Out
04-13-2010, 11:22 PM
One question I have: Is understeering an option worth considering, or an option of headaches?

Underseating stearing (USS) is a highly subjective experience and one that takes some getting used to. Some love it. Do a search of the forum with the keywords; USS and underseat stearing and you will get lots of info. I personally don't care for it that much because I ride always a bit paranoid and feel skittish having my hands out exposed to passing cars.

dynodon
04-14-2010, 05:52 AM
looking forward to your build its been quiet in here latley....

graucho
04-14-2010, 08:09 AM
Me too, I am also looking forward for you to spark an ark.

dynodon
04-14-2010, 11:57 AM
Graucho I'm going to wait till fall I'm riding my Mach2 every spare hour I get....then a swb or a tandem.

likebikes
04-14-2010, 12:58 PM
I finally got my metal today. I've given up on the Warrior due to time. I'll be focusing my time with the Highroller, last years project that never began. First I have to clean up this area in my garage so it doesn't catch on fire (2nd pic). I also have place to work for $20 x 3 hours at an art studio where I took my welding class. The 1st pic is of my Warrior rear fork that's already starting to show some oxidation. I hope to go with a 26/20 configuration. I also like Comriech's front suspension. One question I have: Is understeering an option worth considering, or an option of headaches?

On a High Roller it would be easy to do USS, you would want to mind your chain line for sure. I agree with OMO about having your hands exposed, that doesn't sound very appealing. Another issue is that I find the steering column a great place for accessories like my water bottle or MP3 or even my GPS.

Racer46
04-14-2010, 10:39 PM
Hi, You're doing the same thing I'm doing, a Warrior rear end on a Highroller, you can see my build here: http://forum.atomiczombie.com/showthread.php?t=3806 . I'm going to build mine with OSS but might convert to USS. I've already got a long wheelbase bike with USS and really like it. Making the Highroller USS should be fairly simple. I assume you have the Warrior plans, use the handlebar / headset from that and the front fork & controll rod from any of Brad's bikes with remote steering such as the Marauder or Meridian.

mydriatic
04-15-2010, 10:31 PM
Hey guys,

Thanks for the input. I'm pretty paranoid about traffic, was wondering about my accessories (computer, water, tools) so maybe I'll stick with OSS- in fact, I'm nearly sold on the idea.

Racer, I love your build. What exactly is that yellow protractor like tool you use for angles. I went to Home Depot and tried to explain but we couldn't find anything like it or what Brad uses in the instructions to check the angles.

I was actually going to save the Warrior rear fork for the future Warrior and go by the reg. instructions for the rear fork for the HRoller. I'm trying to hold off rust by throwing in all those little silica dissecant bags I can find into the box it's in.

I plan on making all my cuts, then go to a place to weld them where it's a little more fireproof (plus, I get to use their MIG welder)

My future shed may have a little bike building annex on it.

Anyone see the 90 amp flux welder at Harbor Frieght? Any good/bad references out there?

Build baby build!

MYD

Racer46
04-15-2010, 10:47 PM
It's an angle finder. If it was turned around you would see the numbers & hash marks on it. It was set to 56* for the derailleur tube angle. I don't remember where I got it but I've had it for years without using it, just sitting in a drawer. I've got an angle transfer device like Brad's that says Task Force on it so it must be from Lowe's as that is their store brand.

taytayou812
04-16-2010, 12:27 PM
I have that welder, and it works great! Got it on sale at Harbor Freight and used a coupon to, so it was only 79.95 plus tax. You can hardly go wrong at that price. I love mine, just wish it had gas to keep the welds cleaner and the splatter down. But for the price I don't think you can beat it.
-Taylor-

Richie Rich
04-16-2010, 11:54 PM
...I love mine, just wish it had gas to keep the welds cleaner and the splatter down...-Taylor-
To minimize spatter, you can use an anti-spatter spray found at places like Home Depot or your local welding supply store.

Some guys have also had good luck with PAM cooking spray. But I don't recommend WD-40. Too flammable.

....Richie Rich....

taytayou812
04-17-2010, 11:24 AM
I've never used the spray before. How does it work? Does it effect the welds at all? And what about preping for primer or paint, any issue with the spray there.
Thanks for info and help. -Taylor-

Richie Rich
04-19-2010, 11:18 PM
I've never used the spray before. How does it work?It works quite well, Taylor. It puts down a liquid barrier that solidifies the 'sparks' before they can attach themselves to the bare metal.
Does it effect the welds at all?Not that I've noticed and I've been using the stuff for years with my wire-feed welder. At the point of contact, the extreme heat from the arc evaporates the liquid.
And what about preping for primer or paint, any issue with the spray there.None at all. It's not like paint - it's just a liquid that will wash off. You always want to clean the metal before primer or paint anyway.
Thanks for info and help. -Taylor-Always glad to help. Keep us posted on your progress...

....Richie....

mydriatic
04-20-2010, 07:07 AM
So potentially this spray would make things a little bit safer...let's say to prevent fire?

I picked up the angle finder at Lowes, thanks for the tip.

taytayou812
04-20-2010, 11:47 AM
I'm gonna get some of this stuff and try it out. Thanks again for answering all my questions. You guys are the best!
-Taylor-

Richie Rich
04-20-2010, 10:03 PM
So potentially this spray would make things a little bit safer...let's say to prevent fire?Actually, its purpose is to help reduce the amount of cleanup you have to do to your work piece after welding. During the process of welding, a lot of molten 'drops' of metal are flying around which you see as 'sparks'. When these 'drops' land on the piece you're welding, they solidify and adhere to the surface. You either have to file or grind them off before you can paint. The barrier of anti-spatter spray cools them before they can attach themselves to the metal. You can then simply wipe most of them away with a rag or with the light touch of a file.

The bottom line is that applying the spray-on liquid before welding makes cleanup easier which saves you some time and effort later.

....Richie Rich....

socialtalker
06-13-2010, 12:31 AM
it really pays to read all thru this forum, never know what you will come across.
thanks

To minimize spatter, you can use an anti-spatter spray found at places like Home Depot or your local welding supply store.

Some guys have also had good luck with PAM cooking spray. But I don't recommend WD-40. Too flammable.

....Richie Rich....

likebikes
06-22-2010, 01:09 PM
I never knew about the anti spatter spray either, I'll be looking for that for sure!

badcheese
06-22-2010, 01:48 PM
I find that I can knock most of the spatter off very easily by running a cold chisel (or something similar) across the surface. I don't have to hit the chisel with a hammer. I just gently scrape the surface with it, and the spatter just pops right off. No spray necessary.