PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum stick welding (to steel)?

PaulPb
04-09-2010, 04:11 PM
Hi;

I saw online someone selling aluminum welding rods for stick welders. I 've encountered some aluminum parts in the process of what I've been building......

If using an aluminum rod - will it work welding an aluminum part to steel?

it certainly doesn't work using a steel rod - aluminum part to steel in my experience....

Paulpb

Odd Man Out
04-09-2010, 06:15 PM
Hi;

I saw online someone selling aluminum welding rods for stick welders. I 've encountered some aluminum parts in the process of what I've been building......

If using an aluminum rod - will it work welding an aluminum part to steel?

it certainly doesn't work using a steel rod - aluminum part to steel in my experience....

Paulpb

Nope -- sorry
For non critical parts try JB Weld

Autonomous
04-09-2010, 06:15 PM
I just Googled "How to weld steel to aluminium" and got plenty of results but it's not something I'm the slightest bit interested in. Sounds expensive, unnecessary and I imagine the weakest point in your build. I hope it works out for you if you decide to try it.

vrooom3440
04-09-2010, 06:36 PM
Welding by definition is the fusing together of two parts by melting and mixing portions of both together. Steel and aluminum do not mix, I think it goes back to the atomic structures not being compatible but high school chemistry was a very LOOOOONNNNGGGG time ago. So I don't recall the atomic structure of iron/carbon and aluminum nor the exact rules involved. But it is kinda like oil and water.

Now brazing... or soldering... or gluing... those are different processes. And they all basically rely on adhesion of a filler to the two joined parts. Since the rely on adhesion, joint design and surface area of the adhesion area become paramount. That is why you used to see lugs on brazed bicycle frames: they increased the adhesion area substantially.

My favorite way to join aluminum to steel is using bolts ;-)

Tinker
04-09-2010, 08:39 PM
I'm a welder, and no, you cannot weld aluminum to steel. You may be able to braze it, but, like OMO said, for non-critical parts.