PDA

View Full Version : Alternate steering for a Warrior

darwin-t
03-10-2010, 12:37 AM
I saw this trike and am intrigued by the simplicity of the steering, especially compared to the Warrior's setup.

http://www.utahtrikes.com/RECENTTRIKE-Ashleys_Expedition.html

I don't know a thing about trikes though. How does this steering compare the the Warrior's USS?

Thanks.

Odd Man Out
03-10-2010, 01:46 AM
I saw this trike and am intrigued by the simplicity of the steering, especially compared to the Warrior's setup.

http://www.utahtrikes.com/RECENTTRIKE-Ashleys_Expedition.html

I don't know a thing about trikes though. How does this steering compare the the Warrior's USS?

Thanks.

The steering you direct us to is the type that Brad use's on his Streetfox trike. The type Brad use's on the Warrior is considered to be less "twitchy". It may be a bit more involved to build but I bet you will be happier with it.

TheKid
03-10-2010, 02:29 AM
It may be a bit more involved to build but I bet you will be happier with it.

I agree. With direct steering, there's a tiller effect that isn't present with USS. I had USS on my Fox, but switched to direct steering when I redid it. It was nice at first, but being tired of riding against the wind, I'm going back to USS. With direct steering, your arms are further out, creating more wind resistance.
OSS would be even better for reducing wind resistance, and if you build a full fairing, allows the narrowest possible fairing. Personally, I couldn't find an OSS design I felt comfortable with on my first SWB tadpole, (which later became a Streetfox) so I went with USS as a good compromise. Mine was different than Brad's. Instead of crossing the tie rods, I had an extended tab on the left kingpin assembly, which connected to a backward facing tab on the USS bars. The other tie rod was straight across, kingpin to kingpin, like in the Fox plans. I like the cross method better, because it keeps everything directly under the trike. It seemed harder to do at the time, but now I see it's just as easy.

darwin-t
03-10-2010, 09:48 AM
That's all I needed to know, guys. Thanks. I'll stick to the plans.