PDA

View Full Version : Starting soon

Patrike
04-28-2008, 12:00 PM
Well, I had hope to start and have most of frame done on the weekend. No luck. Having been sick Thurs and Fri with the Flu -- I did not have the energy to get things done as fast as I had hoped and the K fell to the wayside. My goal is still to have it rideable for June 1 as I have entered my name in the Company for the Coperate side of the Ride For Heart down the DVP.

I am still up in the air about the wheel build. I have picked up some 24 inch Workman Cycle wheels really cheap -- wanted them for Deltawolf! -- and I am still looking at a way to attach a couple of built wheels I have.

One place I priced flanges was 80$/hr but he could not give me a set price.

I have my freewheel brake adapters -- local builder (kinda-45min) out in Port Hope made them for me 30$ each. Also did some bartering for some other parts with him. Worked out well for the time out there.

Lets see if I can get some stuff done during this week.

Patrick

SirJoey
04-28-2008, 01:01 PM
Wow Patrick, that sounds like a pretty ambitious goal, to me anyway. June 1? That's barely a month away!

I'm only slightly ahead of you on this one, but it'll prolly be a 2 or 3 month project for me! Wanna race?

Heck, I still have to repair the damage to the last one! :eek:

Patrike
04-29-2008, 08:59 AM
Yes -- I guess it is all about the amount of hours in the garage within that month time span. But it is overall a simple build - geometry wise that is. I am not an accomplished builder buy any means - but I think I have set my target time within my abilities. Just those dang rear wheels are still a troublesome thought on my mind.

Even my wife commented already "guess I won't see you much next month".

Patrick

SirJoey
04-29-2008, 06:53 PM
...But it is overall a simple build - geometry wise that is.
... Just those dang rear wheels are still a troublesome thought on my mind.

Agreed. Compared to the DW, it's much simpler, but prolly a touch more "busy-work", what with 2 complete drivetrains & all. Plus a slightly more involved remote steering system.
Yeah, I've been dreading doing the wheel thing again, myself. Especially with 48 spokers this time! I don't even have the wheel flanges yet... you?

AtomicZombie
04-29-2008, 09:51 PM
Doing the wheels is the best part! Like the icing on the cake.

Brad

Agreed. Compared to the DW, it's much simpler, but prolly a touch more "busy-work", what with 2 complete drivetrains & all. Plus a slightly more involved remote steering system.
Yeah, I've been dreading doing the wheel thing again, myself. Especially with 48 spokers this time! I don't even have the wheel flanges yet... you?

Patrike
04-29-2008, 10:04 PM
Hey SJ

No flanges yet. The guy that I got my 2 freehub adapters made by says he has some 48 spoke 20" wheels he can make work for this. I think I will go with that instead of going with my 24" Workman cycle wheels. I will save the 24's for the DW

Got the main part of frame cut tonight less the front riser neck part for front wheel. I would have cut it but I did I have to buy more metal for it and the seats. Don't know why I forgot those.

I will get frame tacked up tomorrow night. If time permits I will cut up some doner parts.

Later
Patrick

I don't even have the wheel flanges yet... you?

Patrike
04-30-2008, 09:18 AM
I am not disagreeing with you Brad - I think your crazy - but not disagreeing. ;)

I'm lazy by nature -- sometimes actually put effort into being more lazy -- I am determined not to build wheels. There has to be a cheap, strong, slap on solution out there. China is a big country -- I haven't search all of it yet!:D But time is running out.:eek:

Patrick

Doing the wheels is the best part! Like the icing on the cake.

Brad

SirJoey
04-30-2008, 09:42 AM
...I am determined not to build wheels.

I felt exactly the same way on the DW, Patrick. Thinking that it was beyond my abilities, I'd have rather taken a beating than tackle something like that, but ultimately, I caved. Although seeing the trick-looking finished wheels is indeed gratifying, & definitely something to be proud of, I'd still like to avoid doing it again, but I think it's unavoidable...:(

...and yes, he's crazy! :D

trikeman
04-30-2008, 11:21 AM
Believe it not - the main reason I chose the DW as my first build is that I wanted to see how a person could build his own wheels. Its still the part that I am most proud of.

Patrike
05-01-2008, 08:46 AM
Hi

For me, I know I can do, no doubt about it at all, 100% can do. I have never trued a wheel -- laced a couple, never trued them up -- but I know I can -- just don't want to. However, the build Gods have spoken -- I will do their bidding and follow Brad's design for my Kyoto build. The Flanges have been made and I will pick up this friday or saturday.

Patrick

I felt exactly the same way on the DW, Patrick. Thinking that it was beyond my abilities, I'd have rather taken a beating than tackle something like that, but ultimately, I caved. Although seeing the trick-looking finished wheels is indeed gratifying, & definitely something to be proud of, I'd still like to avoid doing it again, but I think it's unavoidable...:(

...and yes, he's crazy! :D

Patrike
05-01-2008, 09:39 AM
Well, last night I got a later start so not as much done as I would like -- got the 2 68 pieces tacked to the 26 inch and the 2 7.75's tacked to the 48 inch piece.

Tonight I will attach those pieces and line up and attch the pillows/axle -- oh -- need to get bolts for bearing blocks.

Patrick

SirJoey
05-01-2008, 09:51 AM
...I have never trued a wheel -- laced a couple, never trued them up

Well then, you're ahead of where I was when I was wanting to weasel out of it! I had never laced one, but I'd trued a few that weren't out too bad.

You're catching up fast. I still haven't resumed. In fact, I still haven't even repaired the Nexus!

Got your flanges made already? I'm so jealous. I may go out next week & see if I can get mine made at the college shop, where I took my brazing course. I may be able to get those guys to crank 'em out for nothing! Hope springs eternal!

TheKid
05-01-2008, 12:59 PM
I have some 36 hole 20" rims that I'm going to use. I have a bunch of 182 mm spokes. According to the spoke calculator I'm using, I'll need 2 7/8" diameter flanges. I just ordered a 3" hole saw to make them. (The ID of a 3" hole saw is 2 7/8") I'll keep you posted when it arrives.

SirJoey
05-01-2008, 01:09 PM
I have some 36 hole 20" rims that I'm going to use. I have a bunch of 182 mm spokes. According to the spoke calculator I'm using, I'll need 2 7/8" diameter flanges. I just ordered a 3" hole saw to make them. (The ID of a 3" hole saw is 2 7/8") I'll keep you posted when it arrives.

So Kid, you're building one these things, too? Kool!

Careful that you don't come down with a case of "too many irons in the fire"! :D

This does make 3-at-once, no?

TheKid
05-01-2008, 01:47 PM
Actually, they're for alternate wheels on the DW. I originally had 36 spoke wheels on my old quad, and hauled some pretty heavy stuff with no problems, so I don't think they'll be too light on the DW. Besides, the 26" wheels have 36 spokes, and even though they're a little wider, they're probably still not as strong as 20" wheels would be, which will be a little wider than stock wheels.

SirJoey
05-01-2008, 02:34 PM
...the 26" wheels have 36 spokes, and even though they're a little wider, they're probably still not as strong as 20" wheels would be...

No doubt about that. Wow, 20s on a wolf? That's gonna look strange!

TheKid
05-01-2008, 03:51 PM
Not really, considering the Streetfighter has 20" wheels. I may even use my interchangeable front end/ steering setup to change from DW to Streetfighter, considering that the DW has the 26" front suspension fork that was part of the bike I used to build the Streetfox. I have to get used to calling it the Streetfox, because the steering and crossmember came out of the Streetfox plans. Actually, the crossmember was made before Brad made the plans available, while he was showing the build in the old forum.
I posted this drawing last summer in the old forum. It was while I was building the tadpole, and modified it to a LWB tadpole. It dawned on me that the interchangeble front end could be done on the Meridian, to make it a LWB tadpole, then figured if you could interchange the front end, why not the rear? That would make one ride a convertible bike/trike/quad.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z66/edpol_photos/Bike_trike_quad/000_0077.jpg?t=1209671513

Patrike
05-01-2008, 05:05 PM
Kid

For future reference -- that's called a doodle -- not a drawing. LOL! Looks exactly the way I draw up my plans!:D

Patrick

I posted this drawing last summer in the old forum.

Patrike
05-01-2008, 11:21 PM
Tonight I got the main frame all together and all joints fully welded. Harder then I thought geting front frame squared to back.

Bed time

Good night
Patrick

Patrike
05-01-2008, 11:34 PM
here is a pic -- on the side to get at welds easier.

SirJoey
05-01-2008, 11:52 PM
Looks good, Patrick. You've caught up with me already. I still haven't resumed... :(

Patrike
05-02-2008, 10:41 AM
Looks good, Patrick. You've caught up with me already. I still haven't resumed... :(

My goal is to have it rolling this weekend. Hoping I don't get call to do work training this weekend.

I think I can get it rolling, seat supports made and maybe all the steering, though I don't have enough doner parts for steering. But I will be happy if I get it to the rolling stage w/wheels trued -- all else will be bonus.

I need to purchase tube for seats and stearing rods.

Patrick

SirJoey
05-02-2008, 07:48 PM
Did a little bit on mine today. Fixed my botched down tube, & although I don't even have my flanges yet, I figured I'd go ahead & get the wheels ready.

It kills me to take apart a brand new set of BMX wheels that have never even had rubber on 'em, but hey, that's what I bought 'em for. Took me a little over an hour, just to dismantle 'em! Imagine the fun of the re-build! :rolleyes:

SirJoey
05-02-2008, 08:03 PM
Hey Kid, you don't happen to have a 2 1/4" hole saw do ya? My flanges need to be 2 1/8", so I'm hoping maybe somebody out there will punch 'em out for me & mail 'em, so I don't have to buy a hole saw or wait for the possibility of the college machine shop makin' em.

If anyone can & is willing, PM or e-mail me with your price. I just need the 4 blanks, 1/8 x 3/4 I.D. x 2 1/8 O.D.

Then again, maybe the hole saws won't be as expensive as I'm thinking, but I'll need to buy the 3/4" one as well...

Patrike
05-02-2008, 10:01 PM
Hi

I did a just little tonight - was feeling tired so I just put some end caps on the short pieces (yah-forgot before attaching to the to main part and would have been a heck of lot easier I'm sure) and then I just clean up some welds.

Speaking of cleaning up welds -- whats a good way of getting at the inside corner welds?

Patrick

SirJoey
05-02-2008, 10:14 PM
Speaking of cleaning up welds -- whats a good way of getting at the inside corner welds?

I didn't even bother with mine. I think that's what most guys are doing, just leaving them as is.

If you really wanna try to dress 'em up, a thin cut-off disc in the angle grinder will get in corners pretty good. I've done a few that way.

Patrike
05-02-2008, 10:34 PM
If you really wanna try to dress 'em up, a thin cut-off disc in the angle grinder will get in corners pretty good. I've done a few that way.

Yah -- thats what I was trying -- disk diameter is not big enough and the grinder head interfers. I think I will try my round file. Maybe I can get a grinding head for my dremel.

Patrick

melw
05-02-2008, 11:59 PM
Patrike
You might try one of the Craftsman Flex-Shaft Attachments.http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00953033000P?vName=Tools&cName=Power+Tool+Accessories&sName=Rotary+Tool
It is slim and might give you more room.
Mel W.

TheKid
05-03-2008, 12:26 AM
I use a dremel tool or die grinder with stones or sanding drums small enough to get into the little crevices.
Here are links for hole saws, Joey I don't have a 2 1/4", and don't need one right now. BTW, the step drills go up to 3/4", so you might consider one of those instead of a 3/4" hole saw.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100495372&N=10000003+90401

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100495372&N=10000003+90401

You'll also need one of these for the larger hole saws:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100495387&N=10000003+90401

and for the smaller hole saws:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100495388&N=10000003+90401

TheKid
05-03-2008, 02:51 AM
:p BTW, Pat, thanks for the compliment on my "drawing". Now that I had a better look at it, I don't think it's good enough to qualify as a doodle.

SirJoey
05-03-2008, 10:06 PM
...the step drills go up to 3/4", so you might consider one of those instead of a 3/4" hole saw.

Good advice, Kid. Thanx for the links, too. At least now I know where I stand, price-wise.

Now, I must ponder my options... :rolleyes:

Patrike
05-04-2008, 10:17 AM
:p BTW, Pat, thanks for the compliment on my "drawing". Now that I had a better look at it, I don't think it's good enough to qualify as a doodle.

Studies have shown that people who are less organized and less neat are are more creative and out going.

Our house is a mess most times and I can never find anything. Now, if only I can get off the couch and get the creative juices flowing!:o

Patrick

AtomicZombie
05-04-2008, 12:28 PM
Funny thing about that study!....

I used to keep my garage and lab in a state of chaos as well, and those who seen it quoted that study to me.

One day I thought...

Imagine how much more I would get done if I broke the mold and kept my place hyper-organized.

It works!

I have my tools and parts sorted in ways that would make a librarian cheer. I now get 50% more done.

I am a chaos lover in a neatfreak's body now.

Brad

Studies have shown that people who are less organized and less neat are are more creative and out going.

Our house is a mess most times and I can never find anything. Now, if only I can get off the couch and get the creative juices flowing!:o

Patrick

Patrike
05-04-2008, 02:58 PM
I have my tools and parts sorted in ways that would make a librarian cheer. I now get 50% more done.
Brad

I did a little clean up myself today -- so, thats where I put those wrenchs!!!

Yes it does help considerably!

I do not think I will make my goal to have it rolling today - with clean up and all -- yesterday was a wash do to long trip to pick up flanges and spent time talking and seeing a new build.

Day is still young though -- we'll see. -- Hey just found a plier a did know where was -- fell under some stuff!!!:D

Patrick

Patrike

AtomicZombie
05-04-2008, 03:34 PM
Don't forget about the day of recovery after "being a hero in the garage" as Kat calls it. I often go crazy for days and then crash when it feels like I have been dragged down the tracks by a freight train.

Ya, it's worth it!

Brad

I did a little clean up myself today -- so, thats where I put those wrenchs!!!

Yes it does help considerably!

I do not think I will make my goal to have it rolling today - with clean up and all -- yesterday was a wash do to long trip to pick up flanges and spent time talking and seeing a new build.

Day is still young though -- we'll see. -- Hey just found a plier a did know where was -- fell under some stuff!!!:D

Patrick

Patrike

Patrike
05-04-2008, 03:41 PM
I am trying to set up the bearings for hole drilling. Finding a few things I don't like. Frame did get some distortion from welding so am a having to force the alignment of the outer bearings to line up with the tube supports using clamps.

There may be some small distortion in the axle -- is that ok or do I have to get one that is perfect.

I also noticed for the first time that the bearings have enlongated holes - my guess this is for allowing for adjustment -- I am afraid that I will not be able to get the bolts tight enough to prevent them from sliding without crushing the frame!

Any input on this will be helpfull!:confused:

Thanks
Patrick

Patrike
05-05-2008, 08:39 AM
This weekend did not yield anywhere close to what I had originally hoped for. Wanted minimum of a rolling frame ---- nope. I got the front conductor made up -- I took it off a small kiddy bike so I will not shorten it more even though it is longer then in the plans. I also cleaned up a conductor for the steering neck. That was about it for my work productivity. I lost saturday going out to Port Hope to pick up parts and lost a good chunck of Sunday to a clean up. I will put in some long hours these week nights to make up.

Tonight I will have to investigate where exactly all the distortion is coming from on my axle assembly. I currently have to force the outside bearings to line up with the frame which is out about, I guess 3/16 on both sides. When I get the ends line up using clamps and I roll the axle you get about 1/16 of movement from the middle bearings. I will get the big square and the 4 foot level (for straight edge) out tonight and see just where I am having the problem.

Does anyone know if the round bar comes in different grades for straightness -- ie, axle grade straightness compare to just regular off the shelf "this looks straight, here yah go" off the shelf grade.

Later
Patrick

AtomicZombie
05-05-2008, 11:34 AM
A bent axle would not be good! Maybe it was damaged at the shop?

When you roll it along a nice flat floor, how much bow is in the axle?

Brad

Patrike
05-05-2008, 12:09 PM

Brad

Hey Brad

Yah -- one of the things I will be trying to verify tonight -- can I roll it on shag carpet -- kidding. I guess I should have checked that before leaving the shop where I got it -- I don't think they will have a problem with me exchanging it if thats the case.

Patrick

Patrike
05-05-2008, 07:53 PM

Brad

Yes! Way too much wobble for an axle. One end is coming up off the floor by what looks like 3/16 to 1/4 inch --that coincides with alignment on the outsides edges with the bearings! I will have to see about replacing on my way to work one day this week - Wednesday looks good.

I rechecked the outside ends for square again -- one side is out by what looks 1/16 or less so not too worried now for when I get a new axle piece.

Patrick

Patrike
05-06-2008, 07:54 PM
Brad

Did the cast bearing holders you got have enlongated / oval holes?

Patrick

TheKid
05-07-2008, 12:05 AM
I have some 5/8" cast iron pillow blocks that have one side round, the other side oval. The idea is to drill the oval side first, and if it needs adjustment, make the adjustment before drilling the other hole. On the light duty bearings I used for the DW, both sides were adjustable, cut for 5/16" bolts. I drilled them out to 3/8" round, so there's no play. That would probably be difficult, but not impossible, to do with cast iron blocks.

SirJoey
05-07-2008, 04:43 AM
Actually, cast iron machines quite easily. It cuts like butter. Use plenty of speed, light on the feed, as it's brittle. Also, you don't wanna use a real sharp tool. It's normal to actually dull the cutting edge of a drill bit with a stone, to prevent it from "diving into" the work. Otherwise, it can "grab" quite easily!

TheKid
05-07-2008, 08:41 AM
Thanks Joey. I'll need that info for the future.

Patrike
05-09-2008, 08:58 AM
Went by the steel place this morning on way to work -- handy! When I explained to them I bought it for use as an axle but not straight enough -- they asked if I wanted it replaced or straighten-joking. I jokingly said straightening will be fine.

When they heard that I could not get the bearings lined up they asked if I had mentioned I was using bearings when I was buying it. I said no, just that it was for an axle. They said, thats why we sold you that instead of machined bar. I said that the peace fit fine in the bearings but it was just not straight.

For some reason the guy could not get his head around the fact that the diameter was fine but it was bent.

I just said that they being the metal pros should have asked me more questions - and oh, by the way - are you in the habit of selling bent bar when the words "it's for use as an axle" are mentioned.

After a little back and forth - no tension really - they cut me a new piece of machined bar for 3 dollars more. I gave it a little roll on their counter top -- won't know until tonight.

Later
Patrick

trikeman
05-09-2008, 09:23 AM
I bought my 5/8" axle for the DW at TSC. The first one I got was hot rolled (see the old forum for that adventure). It was very sloppy and too big. The next one I got was cold rolled and worked fine. I didn't even think about rolling it on the counter. Nice tip I will use the next time I need a solid axle.

Patrike
05-09-2008, 01:18 PM
Hey TM

The guy at this Boss steel said the 1st piece was cold rolled and that I was lucky I got something that fit the bearings - wobble aside.

The rolling check thingy was Brads idea -- credit goes to him for that one.

Patrick

I bought my 5/8" axle for the DW at TSC. The first one I got was hot rolled (see the old forum for that adventure). It was very sloppy and too big. The next one I got was cold rolled and worked fine. I didn't even think about rolling it on the counter. Nice tip I will use the next time I need a solid axle.

SirJoey
05-09-2008, 01:33 PM
The guy at this Boss steel said the 1st piece was cold rolled and that I was lucky I got something that fit the bearings...

That guy must not know his stuff then, cuz cold rolled steel is normally very accurately sized. What you DON'T want, is hot rolled. Size is all over the place, & it's scaley, too.

TheKid
05-09-2008, 03:41 PM
I've yet to find cold rolled steel that won't fit in bearings, and that includes bolts. I have been told by a machinist that the roundness isn't in question, but there are minute imperfections that cause threads to be just a tad out of kilter when you use standard dies. He also said that for machinery with high stresses or heat buildup, and other extreme conditions, shafts and axles should be precision ground. For the projects we build, there's no need for that.

SirJoey
05-09-2008, 04:58 PM
As an (ex) certified journeyman machinist, I can tell you that you're exactly right, Kid. I may not be much of a welder (or mechanic), but I'm no stranger to cutting steel, as I used to do it for a living.

I just wish I had kept some of those specialty tools when I got out of it years ago, & started a new career in radio...

Patrike
05-09-2008, 05:37 PM
That guy must not know his stuff then, cuz cold rolled steel is normally very accurately sized. What you DON'T want, is hot rolled. Size is all over the place, & it's scaley, too.

If that is true -- than thats scary -- the guy is one of the owners, big place to.

Patrick.

Patrike
05-09-2008, 08:48 PM
So I just got into the garage - got the new axle out - got the frame back out onto the table - but the bearings on -- still really out on one of the outside bearings not lining up with frame.

Now -- one thing I found earlier in the week I forgot to mention because I was thinking so much about the axle. I had found one of the bearings was not pressed fully into the housing.

Well - the one outside bearing that I found still way out of alignment tonight is another bearing not pressed all the way in. I just took a flat screw driver, and like the other, tap it into its proper position.

Now I am thinking this is the reason for such the good price for these bearings @ $8.99 each.

Patrick

SirJoey
05-09-2008, 08:59 PM
If that is true -- than thats scary -- the guy is one of the owners, big place to.

Sounds to me like the guy's just trying to pass off the blame for selling you a bent piece of bar stock.

Where'd you buy your pillow blox, BTW?

trikeman
05-09-2008, 09:23 PM
Patrike - I got my bearings from TheBigBearingStore for about that price. Other than having a heck of a time trying to squeeze that hot rolled shaft in, I had no trouble with them (once I got a cold rolled shaft).

Patrike
05-09-2008, 09:46 PM
Sounds to me like the guy's just trying to pass off the blame for selling you a bent piece of bar stock.

Where'd you buy your pillow blox, BTW?

Princess Auto.

Patrike
05-09-2008, 09:54 PM
Patrike - I got my bearings from TheBigBearingStore for about that price. Other than having a heck of a time trying to squeeze that hot rolled shaft in, I had no trouble with them (once I got a cold rolled shaft).

I looked at the site -- looks good but I did not want to pay for shipping and not sure if they would ship up here to Ontario. If I can get it by driving there - not to far - then if i have a problem with what I got I can take it back without having to ship it again.

Patrick

SirJoey
05-09-2008, 10:36 PM
I looked at the site -- looks good but I did not want to pay for shipping and not sure if they would ship up here to Ontario. If I can get it by driving there - not to far - then if i have a problem with what I got I can take it back without having to ship it again.

Patrick

Good points, Patrick. I bought mine from them (BBS), & got them for $9 each INCLUDING shipping, which wasn't bad, but later when I had a problem with a subsequent order, their customer service SUCKED! Check it out: http://forum.atomiczombie.com/showthread.php?t=231&highlight=bearing+store

TheKid
05-09-2008, 11:20 PM
The bearings are replaceable, that's why they pop out of the housing. You have to make sure the housing is snapped securely in place before you use them to align the axle. Once bolted on and the axle's installed, they will stay in place.

Patrike
05-10-2008, 06:27 AM
The bearings are replaceable, that's why they pop out of the housing. You have to make sure the housing is snapped securely in place before you use them to align the axle. Once bolted on and the axle's installed, they will stay in place.

Kid

Your a mind reader -- I was wondering how they stayed in -- the slight stress from bolting down clamps them in.

Patrick

Patrike
05-10-2008, 03:07 PM
Got bearings mounted -- seems stiff when turning - maybe I was thinking that the alxe would just freely spin for a m30 seconds or so with almost no friction -- dreamer!

Patrick

TheKid
05-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Mine spin very freely. Hopefully there's no damage to the bearings. Try putting a piece of the shaft or a bolt that will fit in the bearings into each one individually to test them. You may find one is stiff and will have to be replaced. Or you may find all of them are fine but the alignment is off.

AtomicZombie
05-10-2008, 04:50 PM
The sealed bearings will seem to have a bit of friction - especially if you just turn the rings by hand. The good news is that this will not be noticed as a loss of power in the final design, and that the bearings will last forever and 1 day!

Brad

Got bearings mounted -- seems stiff when turning - maybe I was thinking that the alxe would just freely spin for a m30 seconds or so with almost no friction -- dreamer!

Patrick

Patrike
05-10-2008, 06:38 PM
I noticed another thing about these particular bearings -- the holes look centered but the basically the outside looks lopsided. They are all the same. Just looks weird but they seem to function ok. Included picture - look at the left side of the inner surround compard the right.

Patrike
05-10-2008, 06:44 PM
Opps -- here is pic

Patrike
05-10-2008, 06:48 PM
just for ****s and giggles(GI Jane) I wieghed the axle bearings. Good chunck of weight in these puppies -- well the assembly. Good thing is that it will be strong.

SirJoey
05-10-2008, 10:31 PM
Geez, no wonder, with those monstrous cast iron casings!

What do you plan on hauling? :D

TheKid
05-10-2008, 11:09 PM
I didn't realize you had those heavy bearings. They're a bit tighter than the light duty bearings. Better quality.

Patrike
05-11-2008, 07:16 PM
Hubs together and primed, see pic -- was not happy with some off the welds but will have to do -- I am confident in the over all strength and they are straight. The offset alignment of the holes was an issue -- upon closer examination I found that the spoke holes did not line up on the disks when placed on top of each other -- I matched the flanges as best I could and did the off set for what is was worth. I will have them finish painted and together by Tuesday.

I will definitely try Brads lasted method next build but I do not know what I will program I will use to draw the holes.

Patrick

Patrike
05-11-2008, 07:24 PM
Picked up some paint at Canadian tire -- got some Tremclad candy apple red, does not say that colour but it is a bright red. Said 3.99 on the shelf where the cans were so I got 4. Got to the check out and they wanted 7.99 - had the girl go check the price and she brought back the 3.99 sticker and said it was not the correct price but would give me the lower price anyway and then appoligized for making me wait -- "you saved me 16$ - no appology needed."

Will 4 cans be enough for this size frame?

trikeman
05-11-2008, 07:50 PM
I assume they are quart cans. One can will be more than enough.

Patrike
05-11-2008, 08:22 PM
I assume they are quart cans. One can will be more than enough.

Standard size spray can!

Patrick

SirJoey
05-11-2008, 08:47 PM
Wow Patrick, I can't believe you've got those hubs drilled, welded & primered already! Man, you're smokin'! You just left me in the dust! If I'm really lucky, I may get my flanges ground down to the right thickness by Tuesday. Then, I'll still have to lay 'em out, punch, drill, weld & primer, just to get where you are now!

No doubt who's gonna be riding their's first! Your goal is June, mine is December! :D

Patrike
05-11-2008, 09:13 PM
Wow Patrick, I can't believe you've got those hubs drilled, welded & primered already! Man, you're smokin'! You just left me in the dust! If I'm really lucky, I may get my flanges ground down to the right thickness by Tuesday. Then, I'll still have to lay 'em out, punch, drill, weld & primer, just to get where you are now!

No doubt who's gonna be riding their's first! Your goal is June, mine is December! :D

Can't take credit for the spoke holes -- came that way from guy that made them for me.

You will catch up with me, even if I have them together by tuesday -- It will probably take me a week to true them -- I am still a virgin in that regard!

Patrick

Patrike
05-11-2008, 10:29 PM
Tried doing a BGC (Brad grinder cut) on the front boom -- the cutting part is easy -- trying to lay out the angles on the tube is the hard part. I have a static protrator and an adjustable one -- still hard setting up around those round edges -- Whats the trick?

Patrick

trikeman
05-11-2008, 11:18 PM
Instead of using a protractor do what one poster suggested on the old forum - use trigonometry. For example, let's suppose you are trying to cut a 30 degree angle on a 1" square tube. We know that the tangent of an angle is equal to the opposite over the adjacent sides, so we can calculate how far from the end to make a mark. If we then cut along a line drawn from the end of the tube to that mark, we will have a 30 degree angle. You can plug in what ever tube size and angle you want to the concept.

http://www.atlantamusclecars.com/DeltaWolf/Cut.JPG

Hopefully, that is clear. If not just ask and let's hope my trig isn't too rusty. Much easier to mark than using a protractor.

AtomicZombie
05-12-2008, 12:33 AM
Another method that helps is to just print out the angle from Photoshop or some 3D prog like Truespace. Cut out the shape, tape it to the tube, or just trace it on the tube for cutting.

Brad

TheKid
05-12-2008, 01:21 AM
I just carry the line straight but diagonally over the curve in the tube to the flat on the next side, on both ends of the angled mark. (It's basically the same cocept as mitering clamshell moldings.) Then I make two 90 degree marks the same way on the two sides that aren't being cut at an angle, and on the last side, connect the two 90 degree marks to get the angle on the last remaining side. Or, if you cut the angle nice and straight just deep enough to get to the flat on the next side on bothe ends of the angled line, you'll have the cuts to use to make 90 degree marks across those sides. Then cut those just deep enough to get to the flat on the last side, and connect those two cuts with a marker and cut the angle.

Patrike
05-12-2008, 07:06 AM
Then cut those just deep enough to get to the flat on the last side, and connect those two cuts with a marker and cut the angle.

I think I will have to combine a couple of methods and see what makes sense / falls into my comfort zone.

Patrike
05-12-2008, 07:53 PM
I thought I had a front fork -- its 26". Hmm -- will have to have a look around the nieghborhood tonight - where did I put that hacksaw!! :D

Patrick

Patrike
05-13-2008, 07:59 PM
I thought I had a front fork -- its 26". Hmm -- will have to have a look around the nieghborhood tonight - where did I put that hacksaw!! :D

Patrick

I got one 16" in fork and wheel -- very heavy duty fork from a kids bike. The fork length and strength are not what worry me -- the wheel is only 20 spokes so I don't think that is strong enough and can the tube and tire take the weight? ---- Anyone!

Patrick

SirJoey
05-13-2008, 08:02 PM
I wouldn't think so, Patrick. Especially with that being a 2 person vehicle!

Meantime, I'm stalled for at least 2 WEEKS! Went by the college today to see about getting my hub flanges ground, & found out there's no class for 2 more weeks.

Patrike
05-13-2008, 08:14 PM
I wouldn't think so, Patrick. Especially with that being a 2 person vehicle!

Meantime, I'm stalled for at least 2 WEEKS! Went by the college today to see about getting my hub flanges ground, & found out there's no class for 2 more weeks.

Your news is worse then mine! In an bad way that makes me feel better!:o

Patrick

Richie Rich
05-14-2008, 01:34 AM
Meantime, I'm stalled for at least 2 WEEKS! Went by the college today to see about getting my hub flanges ground, & found out there's no class for 2 more weeks.HEY, JOEY.....where's that true "ATOMIC ZOMBIE" spirit..?!?!

You could do it yourself in less than half the time...!!
C'mon, boy....don't disappoint me...!!!

:cool:

SirJoey
05-14-2008, 09:28 AM
HEY, JOEY.....where's that true "ATOMIC ZOMBIE" spirit..?!?!

You could do it yourself in less than half the time...!!
C'mon, boy....don't disappoint me...!!!

:cool:

I appreciate the vote of confidence, Richie, but I have no way of "surface grinding" these babies. They're .030 too thick.

I'm waiting on the college option, cuz since I was a student there, they'll prolly do 'em for nothing. This Jedi apprentice is learning patience...

http://64.136.20.22/1266704_l.jpg?download=1

...as well as laziness. :D

SirJoey
05-14-2008, 10:24 AM
...and the real bummer is, that I can't even drill 'em yet. Well, actually I could, but believe it or not, that extra .030 figures out to be nearly 3 extra inches of steel to drill through! 2.88, to be exact.

.030 x 96 holes = 2.88

Laziness, it's not just a job, it's an adventure...:cool:

AtomicZombie
05-14-2008, 11:49 AM
Need to make washers thinner for hub flanges?.... The "poor man's method" aka "hero's hack"....

Weld a washer to the head of a 3/8 bolt. The washer needs to be large enough to cover the hole in the flange washer. Now tack weld the washer to the hub flange washer.

Secure your drill to your workbench using whatever method works - tie wraps, pipe clamps, huge vice, etc. Also tie wrap the trigger on your drill to get the washer spinning.

Now use a flap disc in your angle grinder to to gring the washer down by lightly passing it over the washer in a "wax-on", "wax-off" method as shown by Mr. Miyagi, the Karate Kid's master. After 2 or 3 minutes, the hub flange washer should bee the correct thickness as compared to your 1/8 sample material.

Total time: 10 minutes
Total cost: 50 cents for the bolt, washer, and electricity

This system actually produces a very decent result. I "machined" car axles from 1.25 inches in diameter to 1 inch diamter using this system and they were very acurate.

I am also planning to respline the car axles using nothing but the angle grinder, and will post photos of this silly idea soon.

Brad

TheKid
05-14-2008, 01:43 PM
.030" is a little less than 1/32". (1/16" is .0625". .0625 X .5 = .03125) It's about the thickness of 3 sheets of printer paper.

Patrike
05-16-2008, 08:16 AM
Last night I sat down infront of the big screen to build some wheels(spidy3 was on). Was using a cd disk with instructions a friend gave me a couple of years ago. I got all the spoke in ... " these spokes are two long". No -- look at wheel that is not taken apart -- 4 cross -- I did 2 cross.

So the movie was 2.25 hours long -- build wheel -- took wheel apart -- went to bed.

The problem I have with trying to do anything while watching a movie is I spend more time watching the movie.

Back for another try tonight -- I got "The Fuzz" last night but I won't dare put that on -- won't get but 3 spokes in.

Patrick

Patrike
05-19-2008, 09:32 PM
Productive weekend but I am still a little behind where I want to be. I was hoping to have all the steering done and the seats frames done. I changed the front braces -- shorter and round. Man it took a while to get those angles figured out those braces. I got the BB's made up less the the bolts.

I will have to definitely put some OT in on it this week on nights -- I booked this friday off to get some work done on it -- has not been approved yet.

Have a look at the Pic -- pic makes the frame look bent to me but it's not.

Patrick

Patrike
05-20-2008, 06:58 AM
Pic of front end and BB's.

AtomicZombie
05-20-2008, 09:27 PM
Looking good!

Brad

SirJoey
05-21-2008, 08:21 PM
Pic of front end and BB's.

Wow Patrick, you're movin' right along, congrats! I haven't touched mine since I was on here last, a full week ago. Takin' some time off. Still gonna wait another week & get my flanges surface ground the lazy way!

Your BBs look great! They match so well, they look like one piece! Nice work!

I like your shorter reinforcing gussets on the front end, too. Think I'll do mine that way. Should still be plenty strong enough, I'd think. Keep the pics coming!

http://64.136.20.22/1280460_l.gif?download=1

trikeman
05-21-2008, 08:24 PM
After 90+ posts and a rolling frame (almost?), I think you are going to have to change to a new thread title.

TheKid
05-21-2008, 09:01 PM
I was thinking the same thing when it went to page 2