PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight sale

darwin-t
02-11-2010, 06:05 PM
I picked up their 90 amp 110 v flux wire welder today for $97.99 - they had a similar welder which I think was MIG capable for $109. I chose the one I did because the low setting was lower - 60 vs 80 amps, IIRC. The book suggests low power with wire speed of 1 for 16 gauge steel.

I spent another 20 bucks or so for the 2 year warranty.

Cheezy Rider
02-23-2010, 09:28 PM
Where did you see the mig capable one for $109? I was there today and they had the 90 Amp 110v for $109, and the same one but the new version for 149. They had a Mig capable for $219. I would like to have the Mig capable for 109 if I could find one for that.

darwin-t
02-23-2010, 09:33 PM
It SAID MIG on the front, but I didn't see any difference between it and the one I bought except the amperage of the lower setting.

PeterT
02-23-2010, 10:35 PM
Technically, MIG just means Metal Inert Gas, so both welders could be MIG welders.

PeterT

Cheezy Rider
02-24-2010, 02:39 AM
I asked the guy what the difference was between the 109 & 149., and he said the more expensive one was the newer model and the other one was the old model. I see a guy has Campbell Hausfields that are 110v and Mig or Flux core on Ebay for $134.00 plus shipping from Buffalo.

darwin-t
02-24-2010, 08:34 AM
Menards started carrying that brand now instead of the Clarkes they sold before. They cost more than the HF ones. I went to the Campbell Hausfield website and read some reviews. Some complained that the wire didn't feed well in the wire fed welders. I think the cheaper one carried locally was $199 and the next one up was $299, but I could be wrong.

Cheezy Rider
02-24-2010, 12:25 PM
Have you tried yours out yet? Let me know as soon as you do. I want to know if you are pleased with it. Also, would it be worth the extra for the dual use welder No Gas/Gas Mig, or not really worth the money? I know they say better looking weld with the gas, but enough to notice for the so-so welder? Also there's an extra cost for the bottle, filling it
up, and a regulator. Which can always be added on later when there's money floating around. But is it worth that option?

darwin-t
02-24-2010, 12:45 PM
Using MIG would add a lot to the costs. The tanks are costly, plus the cost of the regulator and hose. The welder you have would have to be set up to use it.

I am pretty much a beginner, but I think the wire feeder welders using flux core wire work just fine, and better than MIG outdoors where there is a breeze.

I have tried running a bead with it and did okay. I tried actually welding stuff together and didn't have much luck. I have used it a total of 5 or 10 minutes, so don't put too much stock in my experience with it.

The wire for the wire fed welder is a lot thinner than the rods for a stick welder.

Cheezy Rider
02-24-2010, 01:21 PM
I'm talking with a guy that has a Lincoln welder (flux core), about 5 years old and wants 150.

TheKid
02-24-2010, 02:39 PM
I recently bought one from Home Depot for $270 (plus 8 5/8% tax) It's way better than the HF. Check it out. Not just the welds, but the speed adjustment etc. If it works well, go for it.
Maybe he'll come down a few bucks.

Cheezy Rider
02-26-2010, 01:13 AM
I just picked up my Lincoln Weld Pak HD today. The guy wouldn't budge from $150. I was told by a Lincoln dealer and two pawn shops that it was still a good buy. Haven't tried it yet. Will do that today as soon as I clean a spot close enough to the 20A outlet in garage. Talking to the one guy at one of the pawn shops, found out he was a Millwright retired, as I am a Pipefitter retired also, and he had given at one time basic welding classes. He also said, if there is not that many welds to do, cut them, mark where they go and he would weld them for me, so if I can't end up getting the swing of the welding, maybe there's a way to get it done. But I want to be able to do it myself. Darwin, how's it going with your welding? Do any of the guys on here ever exchange plans between each other?

darwin-t
02-26-2010, 10:30 AM
I did some welding the other day. I am getting the hang of the wire fed welder. You just put the wire where you want to start welding and pull the trigger. That extends the wire to strike an arc.

I find myself falling back to the Oxy-acetylene though.

A friend has a GOOD welder, so I am grinding all of my welds down and will eventually go to his house to go over all of them.

My problem is that the beads are so narrow with these small welders. I have tried weaving with mixed results.

I think all of my welds have been strong enough, but they were UGLY.

I wish I could run 220v out to my garage......

Cheezy Rider
02-26-2010, 11:35 AM
Several of the people that I talked to yesterday said do not "braze" the tubing, that it would distort the metal easier, but if that is what you are comfortable with AND can do it, go for it. I was also wondering, in the section here on this site titled "Basic Welding" they talk totally about using a stick welder. There is a pretty nice used 70Amp one at that one pawn shop, if I knew it would work better, I would go get it. But I gotta try this one first. Talking about 220, you can't run another circuit to your garage?

erebus
02-26-2010, 02:34 PM
...I wish I could run 220v out to my garage...

My garage is detached, and has been detached for about 100 years, so instead of trying to run 10 AWG wire out there for my 220V Hobart, I installed a 220v twistlok plug in a weatherproof outlet on the outside of the house near the garage. Wired the outlet to the house main fusebox with 10AWG.
Then made a 40' extension cord with the appropriate plugs on either end. One for the twistlok and the other for the welder. Bought 10-2 flexible wire off the bulk spool and all the plugs etc at home despot.
Less than a hundred bucks.
The wire cost the most.

Works great.

darwin-t
02-26-2010, 03:34 PM
Talking about 220, you can't run another circuit to your garage?

Well, I COULD, but it would be hard. It's about 50 or 60 feet from my house. I'd have to either bury the wire or run it overhead. Burying it would probably be less difficult. I have a 220 fusebox in my basement from a kiln I used to have.

The tricky part would be digging a trench without hitting the power line going out there already or an old, disconnected gas pipe.

The extension cord idea might work. Put waterproof receptacles on the house and garage, make a cord with male fittings on both ends and run wire through the garage wall to put an outlet inside.