01-24-2010, 04:22 PM
Hi Brad;

here are some photos - hopefully you can give me some recommendations

PaulPb
01-24-2010, 04:25 PM
here are more Photos

Radical Brad
01-24-2010, 04:39 PM
The first thing will be to grind your welds flush and then go over them again to make sure they have proper penetration. Do some practice welds on some scrap 1.5 inch tubing first - it won't take too much longer to get where you want.

The rear of the frame can be made stronger by adding another tube to triangulate the rear (green arrow) like this...

http://www.lucidscience.com/temp/warmod.jpg

But...

You are going to have chain strike due to the angle of the chain stays as per the red arrow. That will be very difficult to fix.

You can test this by stringing a chain from the front of the frame to see how it will be rubbing against the frame when shifted to the smaller rear chain rings. My guess is that it will rub against the frame on all but the larger 3 rings.

I see two possible solutions...

1) Two more chain idlers to bring the chain over the stay (not a great solution).
2) Remove the rear triangle and make the square tubing rear forks.

No big deal! You are this far already, and soon enough you will be teaching others the pitfalls of this fun hobby.

Brad

PaulPb
01-24-2010, 06:13 PM
Thanks Brad ;

I'll work on it - and keep you posted - I had that extra rear end so I thought it could work with your warrior design.....we'll see what happens - hopefully I'll have a trike by march to ride!

PaulPb

Radical Brad
01-24-2010, 06:27 PM
I think we will be looking at your painted ride in no time!

Brad

PaulPb
01-30-2010, 08:26 PM
Hi Brad;

Here are more photos of my trike - notice the "triangulation" of seat tube - Plus I'm trying to reinforce the seat tube and center tube (bent 1/8" plate metal) ......most of the welds I feel, I need to re-do - (after cleaning up with a flap disc holes started to show up, other then me being un-sure of my welds)

PaulPb
01-30-2010, 08:28 PM
here are more photos - any suggestions on improving frame strength?

PaulPb
01-30-2010, 08:31 PM
here are 2 more

PeterT
01-30-2010, 08:39 PM
Even if you put gussets on every possible joint, if the welds have no strength, it will still fall apart under you at the worst possible time, in front of someone else!

Practise your welding more, cut each weld carefully out individually with a hacksaw blade and reapply a good penetrating weld. ( a weld actually gets more penetation if it isn't perfectly flush with the mating part! )

PeterT

John Lewis
01-31-2010, 04:59 AM
Looks to me like a bit more heat might be in order. Grind back again and try to lay down another bead. The weld already there will help to protect from burning through. Try to watch the puddle and see what it is doing. That's easier said than done so keep trying. You need to tell the difference between the molten weld metal and the molten slag.

I think perhaps you should practice on a bit of scrap of the same thickness and see how hot you can go before you burn through. Try to weld 1/2 inch or so, let it cool and then do another short run. Remember to start back on the previous weld a bit. Also clean out all slag before the next weld and so on. Keep trying and you will get there. I forget who has it but there is a sig on the forum that says something like weld, grind, weld, grind again. This is so true when first starting out but in time we all improve. The biggest help to me was getting a self darkening helmet. I only use a stick welder.

John Lewis

Radical Brad
01-31-2010, 11:43 AM
Getting better now.

Yes, run hotter and weave slightly, but in a more controlled fashion. You should be able to lay a nice bead right over the welds where there are holes.

The underside of the joint is where the failure will start, so make sure there are no gaps in the weld metal.

Nice reinforcement the seat and rear now.

Brad

StevefromOH
02-02-2010, 06:07 PM
Hi Brad;

here are some photos - hopefully you can give me some recommendations

How are you welding? Arc? Mig?

Looks like you have too little amps and too much splatter. Your welds look way too wide. If migging, are you using gas or innershield?

I have taken some courses at the Lincoln school in Cleveland and I have seen people weld as you do. The instructors always said that anyone can weld with practice. It looks as if you need to practice a lot. Welding was easy for me. I took to it naturally. I took the course to just know how....not to do it for a living.

I have to be honest, your welds look bad. It is possible to get a good weld and good looking but right now you just are not there. You probably have to do a lot of grinding to get the welds smooth looking and yet you are probably not getting the penetration needed to make the weld hold. Your welds look too wide for a butt weld. The weld should be no wider than 1/4 inch. From the looks of it, your welds are at least 2 inches wide. You should be concentrating the weld where the metal meets metal.

For some people, welding is easy where others have a real hard time getting their welds to look good and be a good weld. It takes good hand eye coordination. It also takes some education as to amperage selection, weld type and if using mig, wire feed speed and type of gas if using MIG / TIG.

From the looks of it, you must be using a buzz box AC welder. Not the best type of welder for welding tubing. A good stable arc is needed and a DC welder may help there. Mig would be better and again TIG the best.

MIg makes for a good looking weld but it is not the best possible weld. TIG is the best type of weld but the equipment is expensive.

Just remember to practice welding. It does take practice to make a good weld and even more practice to make a good looking strong weld. Education is also important as to making the right choice of welder and welding technology for the job. It is not as easy as it looks.