PDA

View Full Version : Welder...

schu777
01-22-2010, 02:21 PM
I'm saving up money to purchase a welder - going to go the Harbor Freight way...

Thinking of this:
90 Amp Flux Wire Welder (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=94056)

OR

110 Amp, 220 Volt Flux and MIG Welder (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=94164)

My thought is go with the Flux only one since it's a bit cheaper - I've got a 20% coupon right now - so the price would be pretty descent. The problem with the second one would be getting 220 out to it - although I think I could run an extension cord from the basement laundry room up to the garage with about 50' extension cord.

Question I have is how much does a bottle of gas cost and price to fill it? In case I wanted to go MIG instead of the flux.

The good news is that I got a great bike - rear suspension with front shock - all steel - only the rear derailleur shifter is broken at the handle, but will be perfect to use for Streetfox.

Michael

jimFPU
01-22-2010, 04:12 PM
I have that little 90 Amp welder, and have built two complete, and two incomplete bikes with it with no problems. Real easy to learn with too.

TheKid
01-22-2010, 09:14 PM
I also used the cheap 110v type, which is quite sufficient. One thing about mig, you can't get reliable welds if you use it outdoors. I can tell you from experience, the slightest breeze blows the gas away from the work. If you only weld outdoors, stick and flux core are the best choices.

Racer46
01-22-2010, 09:42 PM
<snip>

Question I have is how much does a bottle of gas cost and price to fill it? In case I wanted to go MIG instead of the flux.
<snip>

I can't find my invoice right now, if you saw my home office you would understand, but I want to say that the empty bottle cost a little more than $100 and it was about $25 for the Argon / CO2 mix. I think it's a 40 cubic foot bottle.

bentlee
02-08-2010, 03:34 PM
I have the HF 90amp110v flux core, it seems to work fine. Lincoln wire gives less splatter than original, seems to perform the same otherwise. With flux core wire you can weld outdoors without gas. My welds aren't pretty and on butt joints it is hard to get consistent welds (for me) so I build up fillets. Using small back and forth strokes, starting away from tube end and bridging gap helps prevent burn-through. I tack 1/4"-1/2" on one side near vertical axis then the other gradually joining and overlapping welds moving towards the sides last to keep frame straight vertically(this is with bicycle frame).

darwin-t
02-08-2010, 05:30 PM
I have the HF 90amp110v flux core, it seems to work fine. Lincoln wire gives less splatter than original, seems to perform the same otherwise. With flux core wire you can weld outdoors without gas. My welds aren't pretty and on butt joints it is hard to get consistent welds (for me) so I build up fillets. Using small back and forth strokes, starting away from tube end and bridging gap helps prevent burn-through. I tack 1/4"-1/2" on one side near vertical axis then the other gradually joining and overlapping welds moving towards the sides last to keep frame straight vertically(this is with bicycle frame).

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of one of your welds? I have a hard time visualizing what you are talking about....

Whether or not it is possible for you to do so, thanks for the advice. I've been using a stick welder, but am planning on buying of of these HF wire fed welders.

bentlee
02-09-2010, 04:52 AM
Most of the frame was on it's side when I welded, held in place by welding magnets. The BB was done as you see it, though. I hope this helps, only one in focus. As I was adding more welds I noticed the BB wasn't square and welded on the side that needed to be pulled (left) it helped, before I welded much more I used a 2lb sledge to help. I think it is within one degree of square now. The process was tedious weld a little more away from vertical center, flip, repeat on the other side, check, repeat... last pic is about half-way through the welding.