PDA

View Full Version : welding lenses goggles etc.

PaulPb
01-19-2010, 02:33 PM
High All;

I've begun welding my first project -

so far the main problem is seeing what I'm doing -

the lens in the welding helmit is so dark that I can't see -

the welding shield lens that came with my welder is a little eaiser to use
(start the arc and quickly move the shield lens in front)

I've seen on line auto darkening lenses - can anyone recommend anything?

Thanks; Paul

jimFPU
01-19-2010, 03:53 PM
wait for a sale...usually about $40...but this (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91214) is what a number of us have.

GregLWB
01-19-2010, 04:17 PM
High All;

I've begun welding my first project -

so far the main problem is seeing what I'm doing -

the lens in the welding helmit is so dark that I can't see -

the welding shield lens that came with my welder is a little eaiser to use
(start the arc and quickly move the shield lens in front)

I've seen on line auto darkening lenses - can anyone recommend anything?

Thanks; Paul

I too have an Auto-Dark helmet similar to what Jim said and it works great. My dark lens helmet I keep around so that a helper can wear that. ;)

Please for your sake don't continue with the moving the lens in place quickly (there is no way you can move it fast enough to not cause yourself some damage over time).

I am assuming that you are using an Arc Welder as opposed to a wire fed. That is one of the great advantages for me in using the wire fed is that I can put it exactly where I want to start before I pull the trigger (electrically cold till you pull the trigger).

Good luck.:)

Greg

GizDrak
01-19-2010, 05:40 PM
I been using this hood sense I started works well I can see what I am doing at all times during the weld.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/welding-metalworking/welding-helmets-accessories/welding-helmets/hobart-xtf-series-fixed-shade-welding-helmet-3806845

PaulPb
01-19-2010, 06:29 PM
What's a wire fed welder?

don't they have goggles with those auto darkening lenses?

Paul

darwin-t
01-19-2010, 07:10 PM
+1 on auto darkening helmets. I actually paid a little more for my helmet than I did my welder. The welder was a shelf unit and discontinued, so I got a pretty good discount on it.

64c10
01-19-2010, 07:32 PM
What's a wire fed welder?

don't they have goggles with those auto darkening lenses?

Paul

wire feed refers to a MIG welder, you have a trigger to start the arc, not unless you are refering to saftey glasses.
i've been using the harbor freight solar auto hood for about 2 years and like it quite well, the same one jimfpu refers to.

darwin-t
01-20-2010, 12:41 AM
How about flux wire welders? Are they any good?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94056

PeterT
01-20-2010, 06:50 AM
How about flux wire welders? Are they any good?

That is all I use, outside, inside, up side and down side, and it is easy to transport to other locations too, no gas bottles/lines etc

When my friends have bike building days, I take my flux cored welder, and do all the tacking where the guys are, then they take it into the shed where the gassed mig is, and finish the gluing there.

PeterT

darwin-t
01-20-2010, 02:10 PM
Thanks Peter. Is there any way that you could post a photo of what the beads look like? If not, that's okay, I am just curious about these welders. It sounds like one of these would be nicer than what I am using now - an AC stick welder and an OA outfit.