PDA

View Full Version : highroller question

Duster
01-08-2010, 03:33 AM
hey guys ! finally decided to start a project and make the bike!

cant wait to start, the only thing i cant decide on is...

should i go with a front 20" wheel or 700c

its mainly going to be a bike for speed, and general cruising around town

what would you guys recommend?

ps. im 6,2" so dual 700 doesn't scare me too much lol

thanks all!

Odd Man Out
01-08-2010, 11:23 AM
If you can handle the "reach" factor of the 700c, the best option by far would be to have both wheels being 700c -- less rolling resistance, less wind resistance and you only need to worry about carrying one type of spares during trips.

My advise is that you should mock up a pretend 700c highroller and test it out. Meaning determine the heights and angles for the seat and bottom bracket, set up a chair at the right height and something that you can put your feet on that imitates the correct height and distance away from the seat and test it out. Also make sure that you determine what the correct lean angle for the seat will be and incorporate that into your mock up. Test it out -- if you are comfortable with how high your feet are and are able to comfortably get them on and off the pedals at stops -- then by all means go with the dual 700c's.

I look forward to your progress and WELCOME!!! We are glad you are here!

likebikes
01-08-2010, 01:56 PM
Ditto to OMO, I am about 3/4 of the way through my HR and I really wanted to use tall tires (26") but it was the elevation of my feet that kept me from going there. If there is any problem getting circulation into your feet, you won't enjoy the ride much. It would be crazy fast with a pair of 700s!!!
Keep us in the loop!

Duster
01-08-2010, 11:35 PM
thanks for the responses !

with this bike i was 'hoping' lol to avoid carrying extra tubes with going with these guys !

look like great set ups

http://www.airfreetires.com/shopping/p-89-700-x-20-daytona-high-performance-622.aspx

constant 90 psi

does anyone have experience with them?

Odd Man Out
01-09-2010, 01:00 AM
All the serious reviews I have read on airless tires can be summed up as follows: Their time has not yet arrived -- they are heavier, have high perceived drag and are made for slower cruzers or granny bikes -- they are definately not for anyone who is into speed.

Sorry for the pun but sorry to pop your airless balloon dream. Of course I may be totally wrong so feel free to disregard my ramblings. I would be interested in your review if you go with them...

likebikes
01-10-2010, 06:53 PM
My HR is already a bit heavy so I decided to go with Slime tube protector strips instead of pumps, patches, tubes and tools. I don't know if there are any reviews out there but these are really soft pliable but I couldn't push a small nail through them with my fingers so I think they'll do the job.

http://www.slime.com/product/211/Slime-Tube-Protectors.html

savarin
01-11-2010, 10:43 PM
My HR is already a bit heavy so I decided to go with Slime tube protector strips instead of pumps, patches, tubes and tools. I don't know if there are any reviews out there but these are really soft pliable but I couldn't push a small nail through them with my fingers so I think they'll do the job.

http://www.slime.com/product/211/Slime-Tube-Protectors.html

These work as advertised. Used them for years. Excellent product.

T_MB
01-12-2010, 03:19 PM
I agree that you should really mock something up before you commit to a wheel size. When mocking it up, be sure to account for whatever tires you plan to use. If you can use the 700's, go for it: Less rolling resistance, lighter, etc. However, if you use 700 wheels, you will need to be sure they fit within whatever MTB fork you are using for the rear. Also, consider brake placement issues you may have if relying on rim brakes.

I considered 700s and ultimately went with 26s because of the height problem.

Duster
01-13-2010, 02:17 AM
update

lol

well i actually decided to go with a front 20" for my first bike
2 other friends are committing to building a bike as well so this way due to their heights 20" will be much better. So 3 set up in an assembly line build:D

only other mod im thinking of doing is building the rear fork like the warrior rear ( i bought those plans as well), except go with 1" tubing.

so 20" front 700c rear. Should look amazing!

thanks for the reply's !
i promise to start posting build up pics as they come

likebikes
01-13-2010, 02:08 PM
Sounds interesting. I'm curious what sort of wheel you're planning to use? It would look odd to have a super skinny 700c in the rear and a standard 20x1.95 or something like that in the front. I haven't seen many skinny front tires since the Schwinn spyder bikes of years ago.
I'd like to use a slender front wheel on my trike next year but I'm thinking it will be necessary to build them, especially since I want hydraulic disc brakes on the front.
What's your idea for your front end?

Duster
01-13-2010, 06:10 PM
using an alexrims -dx2418 which is a 1.125"
Schwalbe-Kojak tire

also have an alexrims 700c wheel off a speed bike ill be using as a donor :)

hmm, measuring the wheel it isnt 20", even with the tire on it, but looking it up a 406 is a 20"..interesting....