PDA

View Full Version : Welding, grinding and MRIs

Kobber
12-30-2009, 05:36 PM
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to pass on something that I learned recently. I had to get an MRI done on my knee, and was asked to fill in a questionnaire beforehand. One of the questions was "Have you ever used a welder or a grinder?" Have I ever, wouldn't be much of a zombie if I hadn't.

So they said I had to have my head examined. :confused: Well, they actually said to get my head X-rayed to see if there were any microscopic bits of metal in and around my eyes. An MRI scanner is - simply put - a very powerful magnet. So if you have even the tiniest of microscopic shards of ferrous metal in a sensitive area, the magnetic forces at play can cause it to move around, causing untold damage.

So full facemasks and cover up everybit of flesh, fellow zombies. You have been warned.

Kobber

Radical Brad
12-30-2009, 06:05 PM
If I ever had to have one, then I would probably stick right to the magnet like that scene in Terminator-3 when the Connor switches on that particle accelerator to foil the terminator!

Brad

bikenstock
12-30-2009, 08:27 PM
Oh no! And I was going to watch Terminator 3 for the first time ever tonight!! :biker:
Don

Kobber
01-01-2010, 11:00 AM
Happy New Year everyone!
I guess I should try to see that film, though I'm a Doctor Who fan at heart!
Kobber