PDA

View Full Version : First Welds not so good lol

GizDrak
12-30-2009, 03:51 PM
My first welds after 10 minutes of trying to get a arc going. welds came out really bad! but I am hoping for better the next round! I do not think it is so bad for 30 minutes of messing around but what do I know lol.

darwin-t
12-30-2009, 04:15 PM
Keep trying. It is really hard to get an arc going, especially on low amperages like we use. IU had no luck at all until I spent $75 for an auto darkening helmet. Then I could actually see what I was doing.

Your speed is off - slow - fast - slow, etc. Slow down and watch your puddle.

GizDrak
12-30-2009, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the advice yeah I bought a auto darkening helmet it does seem to help a lot so far.

PeterT
12-30-2009, 05:24 PM
Strike your arc by treating your rod, as though it was a pen, ie if right handed, strike from left to right, and vice versa if left handed. This will then actually make it easier to get the arc started and the right distance to get the metal flowing.

When I was taught how to weld, the teacher told us this simple rule:
for right handers - stick welding work away from the puddle ie left to right;
mig & tig welding: push through the puddle from right to left

PeterT

GizDrak
12-30-2009, 05:29 PM
Strike your arc by treating your rod, as though it was a pen, ie if right handed, strike from left to right, and vice versa if left handed. This will then actually make it easier to get the arc started and the right distance to get the metal flowing.

When I was taught how to weld, the teacher told us this simple rule:
for right handers - stick welding work away from the puddle ie left to right;
mig & tig welding: push through the puddle from right to left

PeterT

Thanks PeterT I will keep that in mind when I try again :-)