PDA

View Full Version : New Motor

TheKid
12-27-2009, 09:56 PM
Finally installed the hub motor on the DR. The one I got from ebikekit.com is a 24", wired for more torque than speed. Their claims are correct. It's slower than the brushed overvolted currie motor, but climbs hills without laboring or losing speed. It's controlled by an Infineon controller with reverse, which I bought from ebike.ca. This controller can also be made to provide regen, but I'm using a 20ah ping LiFePo4 battery, which will not allow regen to work without building a new BMS. I bought the 25a controller, but it's also available in a 35w model. Both can work with up to 48v. If you don't buy a motor from ebike.ca, the connectors will have to be changed. I bought connectors to match the ones on the controller, because they're smaller. I also purchased a cycle analyst from ebike.ca, which plugs directly into the controller. It'll be nice to know how much power is being used. Thanks to Locutus for providing info with his CA. Otherwise, I'd just assume they are an expensive trinket.
I'll be getting the 35a controller for the Fox, which will have a 750 36v motor. I'll be running it at 48v with an sla pack, so I'll add the jumper to enable regen.
One thing I noticed was the stopping power with side pull V-brakes. It works better than the disc brake I had on the 20" wheel. Apparently, the calipers from electricscooterparts.com aren't so hot. I'll be changing the disc caliper on the rear wheel to an Avid shortly.

TheKid
01-02-2010, 11:17 AM
Wow. This motor is slow. Only 13mph, but it keeps up even uphill. What's surprising, is the Currie motor was turning 20" wheels, as opposed to the 24" hub motor. On the flats it went 18-20 mph, but only 12-13mph uphill. The amperage draw, I think, says it all. Currie - 25a, 30a uphill. Hub motor - 10-12a, 15-16a uphill. I could get a 48v battery pack to increase speed a bit. But I may have to upgrade to the 35a controller. I'll get in touch with ebike.ca to find out.
I really like the cruise feature with the controller. Once you get to the speed you want, just let go of the throttle, and the motor keeps running. Because the throttle is on theleft side, it makes it easy to use hand signals while going uphill. With the Currie, The motor cut out, then slowed to the point of laboring to get up the hill. It really needed a running start, or it would deplete the battery sooner than I'd like.
I have another Infineon controller identical to this one from a different dealer, but ebike.ca programs theirs differently. My other one needs programming to get reverse, allow a cycle analyst to plug in directly, and allow cruise control. From what I read, it's not difficult to do. I'll attempt it for the Fox, when I get around to finishing it.