PDA

View Full Version : Using a hole saw

darwin-t
12-20-2009, 01:03 AM
I'm going to be using hole saws. I'll cut a 1 1/2" hole in 1/4" plate and 1 1/4" hole in 1 1/2" square tubing. These will be fishcuts for brackets for a BB and 2 steering heads, respectively.

Should I use oil to lubricate things as I cut? I'm assuming a low speed will be best.

Thanks.

PeterT
12-20-2009, 03:25 AM
Lots & lots & lots & lots of lubricate!, and then use lots and lots & lots more!

PeterT

imamedik
12-20-2009, 11:00 AM
Mineral oil works real good and is cheaper than cutting oil, and yes low speed is the best.

darwin-t
12-20-2009, 02:13 PM
Regular old oil wouldn't work?

HPVTraveler
12-20-2009, 02:32 PM
In my expierance used motor oil will work to some degree. But you have to remember the key word is "used". It might be hard to see your work through it. Also it might have suspended granular bits in it that might effect your work. Then too being used already it might have a lower threashold of resistance, making it suseptable to catching fire from the friction caused heat.

All in all I would stay with the mineral oil sugestion ... If for nothing else the safty factor of less chance of a fire. Also the ability to see what you are doing will be easier to see.

Safety in the work space might save time and the hobby from the rath of SWMBO/HWMBO. LOL.

HPVTraveler

Happy Trails Everyone :sunny:

TheKid
12-20-2009, 02:35 PM
I use hole saws all the time. Carefully used, you could cut holes in tubing at the desired angles for head tubes. I use a hand drill. (a drill press with the proper vices is preferable if you have them) Go nice and slow, keep a steady hand, don't force the saw, and use the thinnest oil possible. As Peter said, mineral oil is cheaper than cutting oil. Motor oil is too thick, and tends to clog, rather than allow the shavings to flow away from the hole saw. (Or taps and dies)

savarin
12-21-2009, 12:38 AM
I must admit I use an expensive cutting oil. Its very thin, almost like water but the difference in speed of cut is huge from what I have used in the past.
Kero, cycle oil, engine oil, engine oil thinned with kero. They all work, but I have broken a saw using a hand held drill when it grabbed as I broke through and spun me with it. I always use the drill press and vice now.

noahvale
12-21-2009, 10:15 AM
I use oil if the bit is old. On new bits I put a coffee cup full of water next to the work area and dip the bit in the water frequently. Makes for a much cleaner work area, and keeps the bit cool, which will make them last for a long time.

darwin-t
12-21-2009, 03:29 PM
I got the hole cut for the BB brackets. Thanks all for all of the advice.

I did manage to drop the open bottle of mineral oil on the floor though. Big mess.