PDA

View Full Version : I need help with rods for 16 gauge tubing

darwin-t
12-06-2009, 05:18 PM
I made a frame from 14 gauge steel tubing and did pretty good on the welding. Now I'm trying to weld 16 gauge steel tubing and can't keep from blowing holes in the tubing.

I have an AC welder, 50 and 90 amp settings. I have these welding rods

1/16" 7014
1/16" 6013
5/64" 6013

The fist time I welded on the 16 gauge, I did pretty well. Since then, no matter what rods or setting I use I burn holes though the tubing.

I bought some 3/16" 6013 rods, but haven't tried them yet.

Do larger rods run cooler than thin rods? Or do they make things worse by creating a larger puddle?

trikeman
12-06-2009, 06:14 PM
Keep moving. Watch the puddle, and only weld about 1/2" at a time.

StevefromOH
01-05-2010, 01:24 AM
AC rod welders will have trouble with thin material. The pulsing of the arc is not constant and will go high and low depending on many factors. I usually do not like to weld thin steel with a rod welder as they are not as controllable as a good mig or tig welder would be.

Your low setting of 50 amps is probably too much and generates too much heat and so you get the blow through. You may be out of luck with that type of welder doing what you want to do.

Welders are tools and you need the right tool for the job.

darwin-t
01-10-2010, 06:37 AM
That's odd, because I thought I had read that Brad uses an AC welder. I looked in the article he wrote linked in the sticky.

" I have used both types of welders (AC and DC), but choose a basic AC 240V type for my shop, and this has been just fine for building just about anything. Although a DC welder can produce a slightly nicer final weld, a moderately skilled welder will be able to produce a much better weld on a simple AC machine than an unskilled welder could produce on an AC, DC or wire feed welder."

In any case, I'm stuck with what I have - the stick welder and an OA welder. The OA really gets things red hot, which probably introduces a lot more warpage.