PDA

View Full Version : New from Maine

docorgan
11-08-2009, 09:18 AM
Looks like I may be the first to join from Maine. I'm a retired electronics tech with biking as a hobby. Now its become my passion. My bicycles are my only transportation and I do bike year round. My first bike project was the Marauder from Brad's bike hackers handbook. I am just finishing the Delta Wolf which is my first trike and I've started the Warrior racing trike. I don't like the looks of square tubing I prefer rectangular. For the delta I used i" by 2" and for the Warrior I plan to use 1" by 1 1/2". My thinking is you don't need all that strength in the lateral direction. Also all my builds are brazed.

trikeman
11-08-2009, 11:04 AM
Looks like I may be the first to join from Maine. I'm a retired electronics tech with biking as a hobby. Now its become my passion. My bicycles are my only transportation and I do bike year round. My first bike project was the Marauder from Brad's bike hackers handbook. I am just finishing the Delta Wolf which is my first trike and I've started the Warrior racing trike. I don't like the looks of square tubing I prefer rectangular. For the delta I used i" by 2" and for the Warrior I plan to use 1" by 1 1/2". My thinking is you don't need all that strength in the lateral direction. Also all my builds are brazed.

Welcome aboard. I think most of us agree with you about the looks of square vs other shapes of tubing, although lately the VOX bikes are starting to grow on me. I also agree with you about probably not needing as much stiffness in the horizontal plane, so rectangular tubing is often a good choice. Most of us also love round tubing, but it complicates the build a bit.

Would love to see some pictures of your Marauder and your other bikes. The first bike I was ever going to build was the original Marauder, but I got sidetracked by the DeltaWolf and built that instead. I may still build the original Marauder.

As you have probably already discovered, there is a ton of useful info and interaction here on the forum. It sounds like you can add to the Borg's collective knowledge very well.

Larry

docorgan
11-09-2009, 10:57 AM
Welcome aboard. I think most of us agree with you about the looks of square vs other shapes of tubing, although lately the VOX bikes are starting to grow on me. I also agree with you about probably not needing as much stiffness in the horizontal plane, so rectangular tubing is often a good choice. Most of us also love round tubing, but it complicates the build a bit.

Would love to see some pictures of your Marauder and your other bikes. The first bike I was ever going to build was the original Marauder, but I got sidetracked by the DeltaWolf and built that instead. I may still build the original Marauder.

As you have probably already discovered, there is a ton of useful info and interaction here on the forum. It sounds like you can add to the Borg's collective knowledge very well.

Larry
I've hung the frame up for the winter as I will need the rear wheel for the Warrior that I've started. There is one pic in the gallery in the recumbent low racers April 22-08. When I'm riding the bike I can't get the grin off my face it is so much fun. The steering geometry automaticallly leans the bike into the turns.

KoolKat
11-09-2009, 04:42 PM
Welcome! :sunny: