PDA

View Full Version : Need a little advice on welder

chainmaker
10-27-2009, 06:38 AM
I am slowly getting the stuff together for My first build A D.W., I am looking at welders I am on a light budget and I was wondering about this one http://www.jackstoolshed.com/index/page/product/product_id/2280/product_name/Pro-Grade+Ultra-Portable+100-Amp+Electric+Arc+Welder+-+110V any suggestions??

fultondp
10-27-2009, 12:36 PM
Calling it "Pro Grade" is a bit of a stretch, but it looks about the same as the Harbor Freight welder that many people use. Should do the job. I prefer wirefeed on thinwall tubing, but that is more personal preference than anything else.

Darren

TheKid
10-27-2009, 01:49 PM
I agree with Fulton. Looks a lot like the HF welder, and it's cheaper. The difference seems to be, the HF can be operated on both 110v and 220v. I've had my HF refurbished stick welder for a few years, the first of which was heavy daily usage. It still works well.

chainmaker
12-05-2009, 01:27 PM
I ordered that welder today, now for this question I live in a second story apartment, we have no outside outlets.....How far can I run an extension cord for a welder and how thick should the minimum ga. be ?
:xmas::punk:CHEERS:punk::xmas:
CHAINMAKER

imamedik
12-05-2009, 08:28 PM
I ordered that welder today, now for this question I live in a second story apartment, we have no outside outlets.....How far can I run an extension cord for a welder and how thick should the minimum ga. be ?

CHAINMAKER

Chainmaker, I use a 100 ft 14 ga outdoor extension cord with no problems. :xmas: :xmas: :xmas:

HPVTraveler
12-05-2009, 09:01 PM
I live in a 30' camp trailer and I use a 100' 14 ga. extention cord to power the camper. There is no problems in running anything electrical in the camper either. Am planning on using another cord like the first one, to run my welder when I get it as well as the other tools that I will need to use.

Yes a camper is the way to go here in Florida. When I have to move ... packing up is a whole lot easer.

HPVTraveler

Happy Trails Everyone :sunny: