PDA

View Full Version : Very first welds

wiretie
10-17-2009, 03:34 PM
Hey Guys,
I finally got around to wiring a breaker circuit this morning for my new stick welder! I've been reading books and talking to people, but I finally struck an arc. unfortunately my camera batteries crapped out after the first photo, but tell me what you think and what I should do differently. I'll post more picks later.
Thanks, Briggs

trikeman
10-17-2009, 03:40 PM
Welcome aboard Briggs. For a beginner, those look pretty darn good. It looks like you only need to work on maintaining a constant speed a bit, and when you start and stop making sure you go back over the spot where you stopped. You might want to cut perpindicularly across the welds and see how your penetration is, but it looks good from here.

What electrode and current were you using?

wiretie
10-17-2009, 03:47 PM
hey Trikeman,
I'm using 6013 1/32". Thanks for the tip I'll try working on speed control and going back over my start/stop point.
-Briggs

wiretie
10-17-2009, 03:47 PM
Sorry 3/32"

PeterT
10-17-2009, 05:52 PM
practice, practice, practice, and then practice some more!

PeterT

kxmech
10-17-2009, 08:46 PM
Wiretie,
for a first shot, that's a good bead. Trikeman had a good sugestion. Cut it and check your under cut. Looks like you could use a little more heat(current). As my welding instructor told me, you don't want your bead to look like a catipillar. And as T said, practice. Use different dia. rods on different thicknesses of steal. Again as my instructor said try different things and make notes of how things work.
Good luck.

graucho
10-18-2009, 12:17 AM
Wiretie if thats your first attempt you will have no problems in your welding future. You look like a natural to me. Great comments stated above. Hands on, mixed with time will soon have you pop'in out bikes in no time.

fultondp
10-18-2009, 12:35 AM
Nice first effort!

Here's more unsolicited advice:

Watch the pool, not the arc. It will give you better control and penetration.

Darren

wiretie
10-18-2009, 01:05 AM
Hey, thanks to all of you for the kind words. I took the advice for learning to weld in Brads article and even bought a Hobart AC stickmate welder like pictured in that article. It seems to be good advice. I'll turn up the heat and watch the puddle.
Thanks again to all!!
-Briggs

TheKid
10-18-2009, 07:57 PM
Your welds look better than mine ever did.

wiretie
10-18-2009, 09:18 PM
Thanks Kid, but any success I had on the first go was from brads tutorial.
-Briggs

wiretie
10-18-2009, 10:55 PM
And here's my first fillet weld that I did about 15 minutes ago

Richie Rich
10-19-2009, 01:29 AM
And here's my first fillet weld that I did about 15 minutes ago

It's hard to tell from the photo if there's adequate penetration or if the bead is just lying on the surface. Cutting it in half across the bead is the only real way to know.

Keep in mind that the process of welding is actually 'melting' the two pieces at the point of contact and then letting them fuse together to form a single piece. It's not like soldering whereby the solder bonds two wires together (for example) but the wires are still 2 distinct pieces under the solder.

Heat and speed are the variables you'll learn to control. And, as the others have said, practice and "Watch the puddle".

...Richie Rich...

wiretie
10-19-2009, 09:44 AM
I don't know if this helps much but here is a close up. I'll put a new blade in the bandsaw tonight and cut it open. When I cut it it should look like solid metal right?
Thanks Briggs

trikeman
10-19-2009, 10:40 AM
I don't know if this helps much but here is a close up. I'll put a new blade in the bandsaw tonight and cut it open. When I cut it it should look like solid metal right?
Thanks Briggs

Yes. It should look like solid metal, but you will almost always be able to see where the weld filler is and the other metal stops. To really do it right, you not only have to cut the weld but also polish it and etch it with something like a weak acid. That will show you were the boundaries are. You don't want to see any voids or cracks between the filler metal and the base metal.

The ultimate test is of course the Big Farking Hammer test, where you put the welded pieces into a vice and see if you can break it by bending it over completely. A well welded piece will bend all the way over and not break at the weld.

trikeman
10-19-2009, 11:21 AM
Here are some interesting pictures showing what one new welder observed by cutting and etching a t-joint he was trying to master.

http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtalk/showthread.php?t=29329&highlight=etch

wiretie
10-19-2009, 11:47 AM
Trikeman, I think I've got some blue machinist dye at home(no acid), will that work possibly?
Thanks Briggs

imruffsdad
12-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Hey, thanks to all of you for the kind words. I took the advice for learning to weld in Brads article and even bought a Hobart AC stickmate welder like pictured in that article. It seems to be good advice. I'll turn up the heat and watch the puddle.
Thanks again to all!!
-Briggs

Can I impose and ask for a link to "Brads" article? Brand new and a search for Brad in FAQ and Blogs did not help. Thanks a bunch.

Dennis

jimFPU
12-09-2009, 11:02 PM
Dennis, you can also check the old news letters.

badcheese
12-09-2009, 11:45 PM
Can I impose and ask for a link to "Brads" article? Brand new and a search for Brad in FAQ and Blogs did not help. Thanks a bunch.

Dennis

Look here: http://chopzone.com/welding.html

trikeman
12-10-2009, 08:21 AM
By the way, the article is pretty much the section in Brad and Kat's book, Bicycle Builders Bonanza (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0071422676?ie=UTF8&tag=atomzombextrm-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0071422676), which I highly recommend, not just for its welding section, but also for how to cut up a donor, basic bike anatomy, and of course the great plans (including the original Marauder) it contains. Having the hard copy book is sometimes more convenient than carrying around a computer.

darwin-t
12-10-2009, 11:29 AM
I wasn't even aware of the book. I just ordered it and upgraded for another $4.99 so I can read it online - even on my IPhone.

THANKS