PDA

View Full Version : drop the boom on a Highroller?

dynodon
09-24-2009, 06:01 PM
I really like the look of the actionbent that drops the boom down so the cranks are out of your line of site anyone try it on a HR? a 20" front and a dropped boom would be really cool imho.....

likebikes
09-24-2009, 09:30 PM
I've been thinking the same. I have a 26" front wheel with a suspension fork I'm hoping to try it on. I plan to off-set the boom from the main frame tube by placing the boom above rather than inline with the main tube and start on a slight downward angle from there. The suspension fork I have is taller than a standard fork, so I hope that the fork will allow me a little extra leeway to keep from pedal or heel scrub on the front tire. The reason I'm doing it (I also think it will look good) is that I'm concerned that my feet will be too high and I'll get cold foot which would spoil my ride. I also plan to elevate the seat slightly with springs or something along those lines to aid in blood circulation to my feet.
I like your drawing, is that some form of CAD or Photoshop?

likebikes
09-24-2009, 09:49 PM
http://www.atomiczombie.com/gallery/pavolkubricky/swb.htm

Here's one from the gallery with a drop boom that's pretty nice. I would like to emulate his design.

dynodon
09-25-2009, 10:44 AM
I cut the pic out of actionbents webpage....really cool lookin swb. If I ever finish my lwb I'm going to take a shot at a highroller.

likebikes
10-05-2009, 10:41 PM
I've been doing some layout or mocking up the Hi Roller front end and I don't think that it's possible to do a drop nose on the H-R without significant tire, crank arm interference. I will do one more mockup once I have the bike cut up but I think I'm going to have to go to a 20" front wheel to keep my feet down low.

dynodon
10-06-2009, 06:07 PM
I really like the look with a 20" tire on front anyway.....I think you could easily build one like the picture I posted...

likebikes
10-06-2009, 09:34 PM
That is a beauty, totally laid back. I'm also really impressed with this one in the readers gallery.
If I knew how to build the rear suspension I'd be going for one of these classy tube bikes. However, building a Highroller with plans is safe. :1eye:

dynodon
10-07-2009, 03:34 PM
That is a beauty, totally laid back. I'm also really impressed with this one in the readers gallery.
If I knew how to build the rear suspension I'd be going for one of these classy tube bikes. However, building a Highroller with plans is safe. :1eye:

Thats a really cool lookin ride too looks like round tube maybe muffler pipe wish we had more details isn't the builder out of the country?

likebikes
10-09-2009, 07:24 PM
He's in eastern Eu. I'd like to see how the pivot point on his rear suspension was done. That was all that kept me from taking a stab at building this design. That and I'd have to pop for that Harbor Freight bender!

dynodon
10-09-2009, 08:26 PM
He's in eastern Eu. I'd like to see how the pivot point on his rear suspension was done. That was all that kept me from taking a stab at building this design. That and I'd have to pop for that Harbor Freight bender!

I think if you took a pic to your local muffler shop they could do the bends on a nice piece of muffler pipe for way cheap...what f you made it a hard tail???

likebikes
10-10-2009, 08:01 AM
The hard tail isn't a bad idea, I've been toying with the idea of how the suspension could work so I believe I could adapt and overcome that one. Right now I'm locked into the Hi Roller and I'm settling into the idea of the 20" front wheel. I'm definately going to keep the pedal height down low and since I have a fairly decent inseam length, I should be far enough in front of the front wheel to make it work. There's still that little thought in my mind that wants to make the 26" wheel work though, so once I get the rear forks welded to the tube (which I hope to be able to pick up today) I'll be able to yea or nay that one once and for all.

Hey, Off toipic but I love your town. My ex and I sailed our Catalina 22 over there from Chicago back in the 90s and stayed there a couple days, anchored off the beach and swam ashore one day. It was one of those really great weekends where the water on the Michigan side was like bath water and on the Chicago side it was about 50 degrees. We had a great time sailing along the Michigan coast and then beat into rain and headwinds all the way home. AAGGGHHHH :sunny:

Are you getting ready to do a build? What's in the works?