PDA

View Full Version : Hello from central Pa

simpleman1
09-17-2009, 02:36 AM
Hey all I'm looking forward to start scrounging parts to build my steet fighter..I have a few ideas on a simple rear suspension using a pivot point,and two small coilover shocks from an old mini bike.I would like to purchase,and d/l the plans first,to get the main frame built. Budget is a bit tight right now,but in a few weeks I hope to get started...I do have access to a welder,and plasma torch with some instruction on the use of them.I have an question about wheels.Check out Northern Industrial Tool catalog, 20 inch pneumatic poly wheel,with 1/2 inch axels.Would the axels be strong enough for this type of use,or do I need to jump up to 3/4 inch? My main riding would be paved back roads.Web site addy for above mentioned wheels is www.northerntool.com type in wheels in the search bar... one more thing...GREAT SITE !!!!!

PeterT
09-17-2009, 07:23 AM
Simpleman1,

Welcome to AZ.

If you go the way of using 1/2" axles( 12.5 mm) then there is a very good possibility of those axles bending, due to the axle only being supported on one side.

The shafts I use on my Streetfighter's rear are the extension bars that fit your 1/2" socket sets e.g. Sidchrome etc, and the front wheels use a 14mm hub.

Don't know how much you know about bending steel, but if you can bend 14mm steel, then you are using either way to much force, or you are far stronger than I am!

PeterT

KoolKat
09-17-2009, 10:53 AM
Welcome to the insanity, simpleman!

John Lewis
09-18-2009, 12:34 AM
Hi simpleman, Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy your stay. Of course one is not enough and once the bug bites there is no way back.:jester:

Concerning 1/2" axles. It depends on the material I guess. My wife and I have factory built LogoTrikes and they use Bitex hubs with a 12mm axle. The axle is a 12mm high tensile bolt. It is grade 8 I think. They have been plenty strong enough and have carried our camping gear and us around Tasmania twice and for many more thousands of km without any sign of bending.
John Lewis

graucho
09-18-2009, 09:46 PM
Hey simpleman, welcome to the group. Glad your here.