PDA

View Full Version : Ironing out the last Bugs

Ashdod Slim
04-01-2008, 02:52 AM
Finally I got the frame of my Bandito build painted. A beauty shot for the builder's gallery will follow shortly. I just have one problem that's giving me fits: the handlebars keep bumping into my body parts! My knees are just barely grazing the bottom of the handlebars. In the beginning this was extreme and disconcerting and I adapted by "cowboying" my legs so my knees could fit into the places where my granny style handlebars bend forward. Later I removed all the seat padding so my knees don't stick up so far and this has helped a bit. I've thought of lengthening the steering column, since I've got a ways to go before the handlebars start to block my view of the road, but this will not solve the other problem that I'm having with the ends of the handlebars bumping me when I do turns of more than 40 or so degrees. My belly doesn't stick out (honest!) but I keep getting poked during low speed maneuvering on campus walkways and three point turns. This threatens to lock up my steering and ruin my day.

Should I:
Install way shorter handlebars?
Lengthen my steering column by a couple inches?
Angle the steering column away from my body and learn to live with the
'reverse tiller' effect?
Some combination of all the above?
I know a bunch of the Krew have solved these problems already and can help me.

I've already come to accept that some times my heels will catch on the front wheel. This may be a fact of SWB life.
-Doug

SirJoey
04-01-2008, 08:45 AM
Personally Doug, If there's no more length left on the gooseneck for you to raise it another inch or 2, I'd lengthen the steering column. I always start with one that's way too long to start with, & then test & gradually shorten, till it feels about right, with the gooseneck all the way down. Then, if you need to come back up, you can pull the gooseneck back up a little.

Of course, this only works for the way I do it, where I have a seperate, removeable steering column, or what I call the "head tube extension". I realize that yours may be different, & this method may not work for you.

Shorter or different shaped bars are prolly your best bet on the other, IMHO.

AtomicZombie
04-01-2008, 04:30 PM
Once I see your photos, I can probably suggest something.

Congrats on the completion.

Brad

Pagan Wizard
06-08-2008, 04:26 PM
Any pics yet Slim?? We'd all like to see your ride, and maybe get a better chance to help you out.

Ashdod Slim
10-03-2008, 02:12 AM
Man!
The summer hit me like a ton of bricks. I finally took that welding class at the local community college and discovered my inner metal-holic. I learned much about safety and upgraded my protective equipment, got to see how far I am from being able to weld thin bike tubing with a stick welder. Brad, my hat is off to you. I focussed on mig and got pretty good. I also welded an extension on my handlebar stem and the extra 6" gave me all the room I need for my knees. I'm embarrassed to send pictures because I still haven't finished the upholstery, but I have put a couple hundred miles on including lots of trailer time hauling my two daughters. My wife and I finally sold our car and haven't looked back. More soon.
-Doug

Ashdod Slim
10-03-2008, 02:27 AM
Man!
The summer hit me like a ton of bricks. I finally took that welding class at the local community college and discovered my inner metal-holic. I learned much about safety and upgraded my protective equipment, got to see how far I am from being able to weld thin bike tubing with a stick welder. Brad, my hat is off to you. I focussed on mig and got pretty good. I also welded an extension on my handlebar stem and the extra 6" gave me all the room I need for my knees. I'm embarrassed to send pictures because I still haven't finished the upholstery, but I have put a couple hundred miles on including lots of trailer time hauling my two daughters. My wife and I finally sold our car and haven't looked back. More soon.
-Doug

TheKid
10-03-2008, 02:48 AM
Glad to see you back Doug! Hey, that seat was awesome. Sorry to see it go. (Unless you use the same material.)

SirJoey
10-03-2008, 08:37 AM
Yo Doug,

Like TheKid said, welcome back! Glad to hear you finished your welding course.
Congrats on upgrading from a fossile burner, to human power! WTG!

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/7131/sirjoeysigmedij1.gif