PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight 90 Amp Wire Welder Coupon

trikeman
08-31-2009, 05:54 PM
If anybody wants one, I have one of those coupons they mail out when you register. You can get their regular $149 welder for $99. I am not recommending the welder, but if you are gonna get one anyway and don't have a coupon, its a good deal. You must use it in the store. Its item #98871.

Just shoot me a PM with your email and I will send it to ya.

Better yet, this link may work for ya. Just print it out

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/common/displayCoupon.do?week=3609&campaign=RetailA&page=coupon3.html&single=true&r=5744_937346&cust=99999999999&keycode=0000

trikeman
08-31-2009, 06:09 PM
Speaking of welders, if i didn't already have too many welders, I would be tempted to buy this little inverter stick that Freddy likes so much. I think at least one of our members has it and likes it. I think its $119 in their sale catalog right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bujvEHMcnEE

Locutus
08-31-2009, 07:25 PM
Speaking of welders, if i didn't already have too many welders, I would be tempted to buy this little inverter stick that Freddy likes so much. I think at least one of our members has it and likes it. I think its $119 in their sale catalog right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bujvEHMcnEE

Interesting video. I had a eureka moment when he made the comment about using a filler rod on the thin stock to avoid burn through. Hmm... I wonder if he meant to use an electrode as a filler rod or if there are some kind of special rods for this purpose (I presume without flux, since the electrode itself already has it). Sounds almost like using the stick welder as if it were a TIG welder. I'll have to try out this technique on some scrap.

trikeman
08-31-2009, 07:34 PM
Interesting video. I had a eureka moment when he made the comment about using a filler rod on the thin stock to avoid burn through. Hmm... I wonder if he meant to use an electrode as a filler rod or if there are some kind of special rods for this purpose (I presume without flux, since the electrode itself already has it). Sounds almost like using the stick welder as if it were a TIG welder. I'll have to try out this technique on some scrap.

I have heard several guys on the welding forum talk about that technique. I think they just use a regular electrode, but you could try a regular RG45 oxy-acetylene rod, or even an old coat hanger. If you want extra filler try the little 1/16" 7014s that Harbor Freight sells. They have extra iron in the flux and lay down a lot of bead fast. It almost looks like a MIG bead when you are done, and are really easy to use.

trikeman
08-31-2009, 07:42 PM
I will say that one of the guys on the Hobart forum bought that little inverter welder and hated it. He couldn't get it to penetrate at all, and finally ended up with a Hobart 125EZ, which he loves. Still for $119 it looks very appealing in Freddy's video, especially if you mostly weld 16ga steel like we do here.

badcheese
08-31-2009, 10:25 PM
I bought that little Harbor Freight inverter welder on sale for US$89. It worked fine for me. I started building my HR with a borrowed Esab inverter welder, and when I had to give it back I picked up that Harbor Freight one. I live in a rented house with no accessible 220V outlet, so I was using the Esab welder on 110V. I had about the same success with the HF welder as I did with the Esab welder on 110V. On 110V, they're both limited to 80A. If the guy on the Hobart forum is used to welding with 220V, that might explain why he hated using a 110V welder. The leads and cord are pretty short, so I use mine with a short 10ga extension cord to get it closer to the workpiece.

One benefit is that it's VERY small and lightweight, as you can see. I also have a cheap 110V AC welder, and it trips the breakers, so it's useless to me. I built most of my High Roller with it, and now I'm building a Cycle Bully. It gets just as much penetration as I got with the borrowed US$1100 Esab on 110V. The Esab can also run on 220V in which case you can get a lot more than 80A from it, and it can be used for touch-TIG (AKA scratch TIG).

taytayou812
09-17-2009, 03:04 PM
Just a note for anyone looking for a new welder. This welder from Harbor Freight tools will ne 79.95 on sale on Oct 2,3,& 4th in their sidewalk sale here in Littleton Co. store. Here is a link if it comes thru, http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94056

I don't know if they will match price at other stores, but it's woth a shot.
I have been using this welder since Feb.09 and it still works great. A very good deal for the price.
Also if any one reads Car and Driver magazine, there is a 20% off coupon in the back of almost every issue in the Great Clips waiting room, well there was till I took 5 of them. The coupon is good for any non-sale priced, single item. Hope this helps someone out. -taytayou812-