PDA

View Full Version : Whats going on?

sagz
08-24-2009, 11:21 PM
So I bought a welder a few years back. I ordered it online. It was supposed to be a MillerMatic 145 but they sent me a MillerMatic 175 for the same price. Go me.

Anyway after 2 years of fun using flux-core wire I decided to upgrade to gas. I bought a little 5lb CO2 tank and regulator and got some solid core wire... changed polarities... set the regulator and bleh.

The welds look terrible. Now when I was in welding class... gas welding was like nirvana compared to the flux cored MIG and Stick welding... most of the time no chipping required.

Things I've checked:
Good ground
I can hear gas coming out the nozzle when I pull the trigger
no leaks in the lines.
I even tried two different manufactures wire (HF and Hobart)

Any ideas? The welds look pitted and there is a lot of splatter

Help me fellow Zombies... you're my only hope! :rolleyes4:

trikeman
08-24-2009, 11:32 PM
I only use CO2 with my MIG (originally a Hobart Handler 140, now upgraded to a Lincoln 175). The welds are not quite as pretty as I am told they would be with and argon/CO2 mixture, but they do look nicer than flux core and the gas is a lot cheaper. The arc is also very crisp on CO2. The only thing I can think of from your description is that your gas flow isn't high enough to protect the weld. I generally run around 20-25 CFH on my gas flow. If you are not welding inside and have much of a breeze, its tough to use gas with a MIG.

There is a great group of guys on the MillerWelds forum by the way. I am sure they can fix you up. Many are the same guys that live on the Hobart forum.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/communities/mboard/

John Lewis
08-25-2009, 01:24 AM
It seems to me that if the welds are poor you are not getting good shielding. The boys at the local wine tank factory here use CO2 and their welds look great. They mainly have trouble if a draught is blowing away the shield gas. Then they close the door or move the work. The other possibility is insufficient gas flow to create an adequate shield.

A bit of experiment should sort it out.

John Lewis

TheKid
08-25-2009, 03:43 AM
Any slight breeze will blow the gas away from the project, as the others said. I tried a friends MIG welder, but I could only weld outdoors, and the welds looked much like you describe. The friend who lent the welder said he didn't realize that I was welding outside, and that flux core would be the bettwer choice. He was right, the flux core welds looked better and were stronger. I have since switched back to stick welding, after reading the praise of 7014 rods by Trikeman.

savarin
08-25-2009, 05:06 AM
bump up the gas flow.
Get rid of all draughts.
get the wire nozzle closer to the front of the outer nozzle.
And one that I have to do with my welder is to seal the outer nozzle to the wire tube with tape else for some reason it sucks air and totally screws the weld.
I use argon co2 mix

sagz
09-01-2009, 10:50 PM
Its fixed! I went to The Miller Welding Forum and boy they were very helpful. I ended up figuring it out on my own but they had a ton of great suggestions. A great group of people.

Turned out the t-knob that holds the torch to the base of the welder where the gas goes into the tube was loose and the gas was never getting to the nozzle. Once I tightened it up presto. All is right with the world.

Thanks for all the help. Now back to welding!:punk: