PDA

View Full Version : Welder's Flash?

SirJoey
03-30-2008, 09:59 AM
How long does it take for welder's flash to become apparent? Minutes? Hours?

Is the time any different between a mild case & a severe case?

wheelenwilly
03-30-2008, 10:46 AM
I had got flashed through out the day from the arc reflecting of the water I took a nap when I got home from work and when I woke up it felt like someone dumped a bag of sand in my eyes. I can not remember if it got worse but I do remember that it was very uncomfortable. I was told putting raw potato slices on your eyes helps but not sure. You can also go to the doctors and get numbing drops that does work for awhile. I also herd about welders eye drops but you would have to investigate that. Hope I was of some help.

Richie Rich
03-30-2008, 10:03 PM
How long does it take for welder's flash to become apparent? Minutes? Hours?

Is the time any different between a mild case & a severe case?There's some good info on the Internet about it, Joey. Do a Google search for 'arc eye' or 'welder's flash'.

Here's a quote which might answer your question....

"Symptoms tend to occur a number of hours after exposure and typically resolve spontaneously within 36 hours. The sensation has been described as having sand poured into the eyes."

......Richie >>

n9viw
03-31-2008, 11:01 AM
I won't condone or negate any particular lifestyle, but I've "heard" that partaking of a particular "herb", whether inhaled or ingested, is a miraculous method of resolving ocular damage and hypertension. ;) Got this on first-person assurance, so if such things are your area of interest, it's worth a shot next time you poke yourself in the eye.

SirJoey
03-31-2008, 11:28 AM
The reason I asked this was cuz I think I got a mild case a couple of days ago, but had never had it before, so I didn't know for sure if it would actually take several hours to manifest symptoms, which apparently, is the case.

I had done just a tiny bit of welding early that day (only 2 little welds, about 2" long, each), so I was only actually welding for a few seconds, total, but I must've picked up a bit of reflection from somewhere.

That evening, several hours later, my left eye began to burn & felt like sand in it. Arc flash never even entered my mind. I thought I had something in my eye, but it continued to burn for hours. Even eyedrops gave very little relief, & by bedtime, my vision was blurry.

The next morning (yesterday), it was still about the same, pretty much all day long, & then it hit me that I possibly had flash, which was apparently the case. Today, it's still bothering me, but it's much better.

I guess I finally lost my "flash virginity". :rolleyes:

BTW, thanx for the tip, Nick, I'll keep that in mind. If I ever get a serious case, I may consider it. As miserable as I was with just a MILD case, I'd prolly do about anything for relief, if it was a little more severe!

n9viw
04-01-2008, 10:46 AM
One thing I've considered is adding a 'flash hood' to the back of my mask. I find, with my naked cranium, that I can see the reflection of arc flash on the wall BEHIND me in the lens of my mask. I'm thinking of making something of a combination welder's skullcap and foreign legion hat, so my head AND the back of my neck and sides of my head are protected and my eyes are shaded.

AtomicZombie
04-01-2008, 04:42 PM
Another gotcha is white sleeves. I have had nasty flash from the reflection of white sleeves more than once. Day 1 feels like a scratched eye, day 2 feels like a dozen little minions are attacking your eyes with rusty cheese-graters. Day 3 is when you remember to be more careful!

Brad

rickairmed
01-09-2009, 11:48 PM
I know this is an old thread but one thing never got answered for you guys the potato slices yes it works when you first notice the symptoms slice a couple of potatoes go find a comfy place to lay down and put a slice over each eye . You should notice a cooling effect when it starts to go away put on new slices keep this up till it quits burning . The potatoes will actually pull the heat out of your eyes and by the next morning the pain will be gone.

Rick

SirJoey
01-10-2009, 06:56 AM
Good tip, Rick, thanx.

So far (knock on steel), I haven't done it again,
but if I do, hopefully I'll have some spuds on hand! :)

I DO know from first-hand experience, a similar remedy for wasp stings, though.
Believe me, I was skeptical till I tried it, but you have to do it immediately after the sting...

Slice open an onion, & hold the fresh cut surface against the sting. Within 5 minutes the pain will be GONE,
leaving only a slight itch, less than a mosquito bite! You won't even have a welt,
just a tiny hole where the stinger went in! I was amazed, but it's true!

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/7131/sirjoeysigmedij1.gif

savarin
01-10-2009, 07:14 AM
we used to use cold used tea bags.
Keep them very damp, place on eyes and lay back and relax.
Replace as necessary.
I can remember using them for the condition but cannot remember if it worked.
I think its only the cold that works so I would think any thing cold and wet will help alleviate the pain.

rickairmed
01-10-2009, 09:40 AM
Joey if your gonna weld keep a couple spuds on hand you are not gonna want to drive to the store for them if you get flashed trust me :D.

Rick

macka
01-10-2009, 11:39 AM
we used to use cold used tea bags.
Keep them very damp, place on eyes and lay back and relax.
Replace as necessary.
I can remember using them for the condition but cannot remember if it worked.
I think its only the cold that works so I would think any thing cold and wet will help alleviate the pain.

tea bags are great for eye infections, when my tyke had pink eye he was up and running again in a few days as it cleared faster then his classmates. Why spend money on special salves when some old fashioned remedies work just as good and cost only pennies?

If you don't want to feel dopey but get motion sickness easily, try ginger pills. They work better then the wrist bands and just as good as gravol and other drugs but without the brain vacant effect.
A really good thing to have on hand for a stomach bug is turmeric. I buy a bag of fresh turmeric powder, cap them in 00 gel caps and pop 4 every 3 hours. Mr gut bug leaves real quick.