PDA

View Full Version : Finished----FINALLY!

Greenhorn
07-26-2009, 11:05 PM
Thanks again guys for all the advice, patience, and encouragement. I couldn't have done this without the zombie family here. Thanks Brad and Kat for the great website and for the plans. I hope this is the first of many zombie builds. Its been 6 long months of fun, frustration, and learning....but the feeling zooming around the neighborhood this evening was priceless. I will say this to any newbs out there wondering if they can do this. If I can do this....so can you. I didn't even own a power drill before I started on this project.

Thanks again guys. Seeing as I must have the record for the longest running thread and most pics, I'll post a few more. Here she is. All finished except for some cable adjustment and much needed paintjob.

Specs are as follows:
Weight: 37 pounds
BB Height: 31 Inches.
Wheelbase: 49 inches
Trail: approx 2 inches
Seat height: 21 inches w/ pad= 22.5
From boom = 12 inches
Seat back to bottom bracket = 32 inches
Rear boom 29 inches
Chainstay: 15 inches+

comreich
07-26-2009, 11:21 PM
Congrats Greenhorn! It's been a long haul, but you've ended up with something special.

Radical Brad
07-27-2009, 12:19 AM
Thanks!!

Now the only question is.... so what are you planning to build next? It never ends from here! the Matrix has you!

Brad

Greenhorn
07-27-2009, 12:27 AM
http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww33/WI_Greenhorn/BikeBuild_4475.jpg

http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww33/WI_Greenhorn/BikeBuild_44461.jpg

http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww33/WI_Greenhorn/BikeBuild_44451.jpg

http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww33/WI_Greenhorn/BikeBuild_4472.jpg

http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww33/WI_Greenhorn/BikeBuild_4469.jpg

http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww33/WI_Greenhorn/BikeBuild_4466.jpg

Greenhorn
07-27-2009, 12:43 AM
Thanks!!

Now the only question is.... so what are you planning to build next? It never ends from here! the Matrix has you!

Brad

Either that cool trike you have in the works, a SWB based off the HR plans but with a shorter wheelbase and a 20 imch tire upfront....or a meridian.......

I can't start anything until after the wedding though.........

Seriously....thanks again. I can't describe the feeling when the neighbor kids said: "Aweeesooome bike man! Dad, can i have one!"

John Lewis
07-27-2009, 08:35 AM
Great job Greenhorn,
I remember when you started. Wondering if you could weld and whether you could build a bike. Now look at that. Perseverence has paid off and you have built a bike to be proud of. Its special because you did it yourself.:rockon:
Congratulations,

John Lewis

savarin
07-27-2009, 09:24 AM
I believe it is such an awesome feeling using something you have built yourself.
There appears to be a something almost transcendental to the experience,the grin, the high, better than any bought drug.
Well done and keep grinning.

My rides are usually with a mate, him on a tadpole and myself on the lowrider.
We compete for number of "cools" heard on a ride.
An awesome is worth 3 cools and a wicked is worth at least 2 awesomes.

locolarry
07-27-2009, 11:23 AM
Congrat's Greenhorn!

A super job! Can't wait to see it painted!

Loco

SirJoey
07-27-2009, 12:18 PM
WTG, Greenhorn! Great job! :punk:

The feeling of riding something you built yourself is incomparable, huh?

Finish your second one, & you may have to change your name! :jester:

Now, slap some paint on that bad boy, & show us what you're REALLY made of! :D

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/7131/sirjoeysigmedij1.gif

likebikes
07-27-2009, 01:01 PM
Congrats Greenhorn,
I definately want to hear more. Share your ride experiences and how it's working out, what you might have done different, etc. I'll be starting my H-R as soon as the season is over here in Minnesota so I'd appreciate the benefit of your experience as well as that of everyone else here.

KoolKat
07-27-2009, 01:06 PM
Congrats - what a sweet ride. Send in pics for the Builders Gallery when it's painted. I hope to do an update this week. Get 'em in!

* one or two high resolution, sharp, clear .JPG pictures of your completed and painted projects
* ensure that each picture is no more than 2MB in size, please
* one picture will be for the thumbnail (about 150 dpi)
* one picture will be for the full size picture (684 dpi)
* the name(s) of your completed and painted projects
* your name
* your location (state/province and country)

gallery (at) atomic.zombie.com

graucho
07-27-2009, 08:32 PM
Time well spent! Kuddos to you. A little paint and many miles ahead of you now.

GregLWB
07-28-2009, 10:35 AM
Way to go! I'm glad to see that you are finally to the point of really enjoying your build. Once painted it will be the pride of your bike fleet and you will finally be able to get rid of those DF bikes you've been riding.:jester:

Greg

Greenhorn
07-28-2009, 10:58 AM
Way to go! I'm glad to see that you are finally to the point of really enjoying your build. Once painted it will be the pride of your bike fleet and you will finally be able to get rid of those DF bikes you've been riding.:jester:

Greg

Funny you say that. I am seriously considering selling one of my "fixies" (i hate that term) and purchasing a commercial bent. I've been drooling over the raptobike for quite some time, but don't know if it is practical for riding around the rolling hills around here. I am also looking at the V3.

Radical Brad
07-28-2009, 11:50 AM
Funny you should mention Raptobike! My next project was going to be a competition lowracer. I was thinking about a steel framed Nocom knockoff. Sure, it would not be as light, but unless drag racing or perpetual hill climbing is your game, the extra weight would not make any difference and the bike would survive street racing.

Brad

comreich
07-28-2009, 12:19 PM
Greenhorn, have you read Duncan James' stuff at BROL about the Raptobike? Since he lives in the PNW he has some challenging hills as well. My impression is that the Raptobike isn't really bothered by the hills.

Brad, if you do clone the Nocom I swear I will just....have to build it :)

Greenhorn
07-28-2009, 12:43 PM
Funny you should mention Raptobike! My next project was going to be a competition lowracer. I was thinking about a steel framed Nocom knockoff. Sure, it would not be as light, but unless drag racing or perpetual hill climbing is your game, the extra weight would not make any difference and the bike would survive street racing.

Brad

Well then..... I guess I will just have to wait. I am sure SWMBO wont mind anothe build once I show her the cost of the Rapto

Danner
07-28-2009, 09:53 PM
Way to go Greenhorn. I guess it really came together for you in the 11th hour. So the lesson for us all is never give up!

dynodon
07-29-2009, 04:53 PM
Way cool...looks pretty comfy,can it be built with a little smaller front wheel?

GregLWB
07-29-2009, 07:20 PM
Way cool...looks pretty comfy,can it be built with a little smaller front wheel?

Yep - see here. http://forum.atomiczombie.com/showthread.php?t=2038

Or here. http://www.atomiczombie.com/gallery/greg-francom/swb.htm

Welcome to the site.:)

Greg

Greenhorn
07-29-2009, 09:34 PM
Today was my first significant ride (first time I didnt have to stop to adjust anything). I was out about an hour. Couple of thoughts. First, I am HOOKED on recumbents. The ride is SO much more enjoyable. I love being able to see my surroundings and actually enjoy the scenery instead of the road. Second, this bike is fast (at least it feels that way). Cornering is very fun. Third, I am sold on the tweener bars. Almost all of my turning is done by leaning and countersteering---very little need to turn the wheel a whole lot. Fourth, even though I still think I messed up something with the headset/headcups, it can't be that bad because I am able to ride no handed for a bit. There is something really cool about blasting down a hill full speed and "spreading your wings" like Brad does in the Maurader II video. Fifth, I am amazed at the muscle groups this thing works. I feel like I am using muscles I didn't know I had!

I think she needs a couple more test runs to ensure all the welds are good and then I can start painting. I originally was planning on a metallic blue, but now I am considering white.

Finally, I don't know what is more satisfying...riding something i slaved over for 9 months, or seeing the look on kids faces when I pass them.

Now.......about that second build......:thinking2:

Radical Brad
07-29-2009, 10:27 PM
Just wait until you pass your first spandex roadie on a $2500 upright - now that is like fuel for the fire!

Brad

savarin
07-30-2009, 01:52 AM
Just wait until you pass your first spandex roadie on a $2500 upright - now that is like fuel for the fire!

Brad

He He, I dream of doing that but the engine on my machine is a bit clapped and it hasnt happened yet.
I do thrash the little kids on their BMX's though:scooter::jester:

dynodon
07-30-2009, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the link Greg! I like the look of thr smaller front I need one of these too:cheesy:

TheGiver
08-01-2009, 02:08 PM
Way to go Greenhorn, it all feels worth it now doesn't it?

Won't be long before you start thinking about the next one, and then the next one, and so on...

@dynodon: Here's mine with a smaller front wheel as well - http://forum.atomiczombie.com/showthread.php?t=2526

dynodon
08-01-2009, 02:18 PM
I really like the look with the smaler front, has anyone ridden the both ways? If so how do they compare.

trikeman
08-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Comreich also rode his for awhile with the smaller wheel on front. I think he filed a report somewhere here.

comreich
08-01-2009, 07:00 PM
With the same head tube configuration running a 20" wheel can be a bit of an eye-opener. The custom forks that I had built for the 20" wheel resulted in a head tube angle of 76 degrees or so which is quite steep for a bike, and trail was in the 0.5" range. It made for a very responsive bike. I went back to the 26" wheel because I liked the ride a little better with the shallower head tube angle. If you want to go with a 20" wheel then I'd recommend installing the head tube at an angle of about 10 degrees from perpendicular to the main tube. This should yield a slightly more relaxed HTA that you find on a Bacchetta Giro 20 or other bikes with the 559/406 configuration.